A Crated Complete1926 Engine

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: A Crated Complete1926 Engine
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Wednesday, October 11, 2017 - 08:53 am:

I have been offered a crated complete 1926 engine, with an unknown condition, by a widow of the owner.

It is kind of like buying a pig in a poke, but she thought it to be worth $3,500.

What would the average value be, considering the unknown condition?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Pawelek Brookshire, Texas on Wednesday, October 11, 2017 - 09:00 am:

Wow, That is a huge guess. Crated could mean a totally rebuilt unit ready to install and run......or a really worn out unit crated up to be shipped for rebuild!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By FreighTer Jim on Wednesday, October 11, 2017 - 09:02 am:

James,

Do you plan to immediately install & run the engine ?

If not - do you have access to a test stand or other means to run the engine ?

What might be fair is to agree to pay her asking price if what she believes she has is - in fact - what it appears to be.

That canít be determined without running the engine.

FJ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Wednesday, October 11, 2017 - 09:03 am:

Crated by Ford or someone else?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Wednesday, October 11, 2017 - 09:21 am:

Have you seen it up close? For that kind of money I would want to remove the head and check it out. Also remove the transmission cover.

You can get an idea of the condition by doing this.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Wednesday, October 11, 2017 - 09:29 am:

The fact that engine is in a crate doesn't mean anything! Are you looking for a specific year engine? I recently bought a car with a rebuilt short block, and was supposedly rebuilt by a reputable person. Being who I am, I didn't believe a word of it, and disassembled the block to find everything wrong. I even had to have it rebabbeted, because I chose to use a different crankshaft.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Wednesday, October 11, 2017 - 10:56 am:

Jim, I have a test stand with a completely rebuilt 1927 engine and transmission on it now.

This one has been road tested in my T for 1,200 miles and will push the car at 65 miles an hour, with no effort, but I have not been able to sell that one complete for $3,500 even.

It is stock, except for domed pistons and a 3/4th race cam. I have no idea what that cam has different, but it is impressive.

The engine will also run smooth in high at an idle and then accelerate.

Then too, you never know when you might find another T for sale reasonable, because it needs an engine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Deke on Wednesday, October 11, 2017 - 03:24 pm:

Do you know the serial number? Iím still trying to track down my original Ď26 lump.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Aldrich Orting Wa on Wednesday, October 11, 2017 - 03:41 pm:

Another quick inspection us for us to pull head.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Codman on Wednesday, October 11, 2017 - 07:49 pm:

If you can't hear it run, it's a core.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David L Corman on Wednesday, October 11, 2017 - 08:17 pm:

Does she have paperwork as to who rebuilt engine and what was done to it. If she does, you could even speak with the machine shop. He may have had an engine rebuilt which he installed in his car and put the old engine in the crate.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nevada Bob Middleton on Wednesday, October 11, 2017 - 08:33 pm:

For that much i surely ask open the crate with the promiss seal it back up

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration