Where do I start?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Where do I start?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glenn Kleinow on Wednesday, October 11, 2017 - 05:14 pm:

My wife finally gave in and has agreed to let me get a Model T. What is the best way to start the process of buying your first Model T? I looked at some of the clubs and they appear to be mainly focused on events for owners of Model Ts. Initially I just want a solid driver, not a museum or show car. Any advise would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dufault on Wednesday, October 11, 2017 - 05:47 pm:

I looked at some of the clubs and they appear to be mainly focused on events for owners of Model Ts.

The old adage - Look, but don't touch, really doesn't apply to the T clubs I've known. Go to a few club meetings, introduce yourself - (some of us are "shy") - make the effort to get to know some of the members, then join a club that has folks you are comfortable being with.

Many club members know of someone who has a car for sale....or for one reason or another, a club member may be interested in selling one of theirs.

Really, the best way to start the process - to answer your question - is to join a club and get to know the members. If you do, I suspect that you won't be "T-less" very long.

Good Luck!

Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dufault on Wednesday, October 11, 2017 - 06:03 pm:

Glenn,

Try to get to know some Model T people near you...

to me, this looks like a great buy for the money -

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/3487/792507.html?1507755896

It appears to be something you can get in, drive and enjoy - soon. It probably won't last long at this price, and it would be good for you to hear others tell you what a good buy this is.

Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Codman on Wednesday, October 11, 2017 - 07:46 pm:

Glenn, I joined the Central Massachusetts Model T Club and within a week they provided me with a tip that resulted in my purchase of my '27 touring. Do be aware that about 95% of the time you will get an unplanned nasty surprise. Allow a few extra bucks to correct whatever that unforeseen issue is. In my case it was an $800 radiator that I didn't expect.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Wednesday, October 11, 2017 - 07:47 pm:

Welcome Glen.
Your wife will really welcome a closed car like the one Dave has posted a link to. It is keenly priced and the write-up makes good reading. The only other consideration is your own budget.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Wednesday, October 11, 2017 - 07:53 pm:

Join a local club if you have one, volunteer lots, learn lots. Don't rush to buy a car, the right Model T will be worth every day you wait to find it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, October 11, 2017 - 09:40 pm:

You're in luck. Michigan is crawling with Model T folks, so it shouldn't be difficult finding a local club. Meanwhile,

http://dauntlessgeezer.com/DG98.html

http://dauntlessgeezer.com/DG99.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Wednesday, October 11, 2017 - 11:08 pm:

Glenn, Here's a Model T Club Chapter in your area. I suggest you contact Steve Shotwell and join their club.

I know Steve and he's a great guy and I'm sure you will find him very knowledgeable and helpful.

The Piquette Ts
c/o Steve Shotwell
682 Heritage Lane
Rochester Hills MI 48309
248-650-0443

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Thursday, October 12, 2017 - 11:22 am:

Model T's varied a LOT during their 19-year production span. Get to know T's by getting to know some T folks before buying one. It might turn out that you want a Touring Car, Coupe, or a Pickup, but you won't know which will suit you better until you have seen lots of them and sat in them to try out what's comfortable for you. The early ones with lots of brass are more showy than the later ones, but also more expensive to buy. Learn all you can about T's before plunking down your money. Since you're in Clawson, MI, you're not far from Dearborn. A good start to your journey (after posting here) would be to visit the Piquette Plant and chat with the folks there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Thursday, October 12, 2017 - 11:38 am:

Glenn,

As this year's president, I cordially, (Fordially), invite you to join the Casual T's Chapter, MTFCI. We are a very active group, with emphasis on DRIVING Model T's. Although our touring events are over for 2017, we have a few non-driving events scheduled. Please join us. We tend to be a great group of people.

www.casualts.org

Yup, that's me on the opening page, along with my brand new wife. Click on our calendar of events tab and you'll see what we've been up to this past year.

By all means, also check out the Piquette T's. No slight intended towards them! (Just that they were already mentioned above)

www.PiquetteTs.org

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration