Early steering frame brackets

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Early steering frame brackets
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kim Dobbins on Wednesday, October 11, 2017 - 06:42 pm:

There has been some discussion lately about the differences in appearances and angles of the different steering brackets. I ran across one to day that I never knew existed. The 1909-10 brackets have no grease cup hole and are a different angle then later ones. These brackets have part no. 932. The bracket I found today is part no. 932, but with the grease cup hole. So apparently late in 1910 the grease cup hole was added before the redesigned 1911 part, 932B which is a different angle. The difference in 932 and 932B is about 3 degrees. I realize this is minutia, and only of interest to a few but every little bit helps!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kim Dobbins on Wednesday, October 11, 2017 - 06:43 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, October 11, 2017 - 07:04 pm:

May be minutia, but these are important details for getting early cars correct. I may never be able to get into a pre-'12, but these are the kind of details I love to read about.
Thank you for showing these!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Wednesday, October 11, 2017 - 07:31 pm:

Never hurts to learn. Just hurts that I forget 60% of what I do learn!! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Wednesday, October 11, 2017 - 07:42 pm:

Kim, thank you for your observations. I was particularly interested in the bracket on the right with the large part number cast along the shaft housing. I was under the impression that this type preceded those with the smaller part number cast up in the void between the mounting and the shaft hole. A thread a few months ago had the reverse as fact, and I had my doubts.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kim Dobbins on Wednesday, October 11, 2017 - 08:46 pm:

Allan, the oldest is on the left with the small numbers, then the middle one is the one I commented on being late 1910. The right one, 932B came out with the 1911 models. At least that's my .02.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Chillingworth on Wednesday, October 11, 2017 - 09:16 pm:

The early T932B's had the cast number in the recess (1911-13), while the later T932B's (1913-1915) had the cast number on the barrel. This according to Model T Judging Guidelines - "All the Same, Huh" section.

Thank you Kim for the posting the new early find.
Rich C.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Martin on Wednesday, October 11, 2017 - 09:38 pm:

Nice write up and excellent photo comparison, Kim. It's very interesting to see these parts side by side and better understand the evolution. There's always something to learn.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Wednesday, October 11, 2017 - 11:49 pm:

Rich, that's what I had read previously. Might this be a case where the guidelines are misguided. It makes more sense for the part number to be maintained in its previous position on the barrel, and then be changed on the later ones to the recess. The mid teens ones are in the recess.

Otherwise, the number has been shifted to the recess, changed to the barrel, and then shifted back into the recess. That's not logical. Then again, we are talking Ts.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kim Dobbins on Thursday, October 12, 2017 - 01:34 am:

Rich, I checked my January 1913 touring and the number is on the barrel. I'll check the pictures tomorrow of the 12 touring I had and see if I can tell where that part number is. Thanks for posting that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Thursday, October 12, 2017 - 11:01 am:

Kim: That is great information. This is the kind of information that should be discussed on the forum. Thank you for posting. I hope Russ and the judging guidelines committee sees this.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration