OT Old Photo ~ help needed to identify Year of Model A

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: OT Old Photo ~ help needed to identify Year of Model A
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vern (Vieux Carre) on Wednesday, October 11, 2017 - 09:35 pm:

OT Old Photo ~ help needed to identify Year of Model A
Model A

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Byrne - Racine, MN on Wednesday, October 11, 2017 - 09:39 pm:

It's a 1930 or 1931 Model A. Pretty tough to tell which year without see the front of the radiator shell

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nevada Bob Middleton on Wednesday, October 11, 2017 - 09:45 pm:

By the top 30 standard
But standards where availble in 31 as well
The Deluxe only availible in 31 top was lower by 2" give it a racer look
My other clue if my eyes see it right two piece splash shields on in 30
So my safe guess say 30 great picture

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Spencer Vibert - Granby ,CT on Wednesday, October 11, 2017 - 09:54 pm:

30 deluxe based on 2 piece splash shields and cowl side lights

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vern (Vieux Carre) on Wednesday, October 11, 2017 - 10:04 pm:

Ford Model A rear

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Wednesday, October 11, 2017 - 10:15 pm:

With cowl lights and a rumble seat doesn't it have to be a deluxe?
I would say it does have a low windshield.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By wayne tomlins on Thursday, October 12, 2017 - 02:00 am:

If that is the same car in the 2nd pic, it is a 1930 Deluxe Roadster. Only the 1930 had the side mount, fender well & luggage rack ; in '31 the spare was on the back. The top does look a little higher as per the standard model, but it may just be the angle of the photo.

Many standard models had cowl lamps put on in the US, but in this case I believe it is as done by the factory.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Thursday, October 12, 2017 - 02:28 am:

The 1930 Deluxe Roadster had a full width rear bumper, Rear trunk rack, and a sidemount, also, it's not an early '30 as it has a one-piece splash apron. HOWEVER, it COULD be a late '30 Deluxe Roadster or an early '31. I can't find my info on when the full width rear bumper was discontinued.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Thursday, October 12, 2017 - 02:42 am:

Just noticed, in the rear view, you can see the wing nut for the folding windshield stanchion, deluxe model only--also in the first picture they look shiny (stainless steel), another Deluxe only feature. It also appears the spare has the stainless steel tire cover.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vern (Vieux Carre) on Thursday, October 12, 2017 - 06:01 am:

They two photos are of the same car. I've seen pictures of Model A's that claim to be 1930 and 1931 varieties both with two piece split bumpers and both years with one piece bumpers; same true with luggage racks.
It may be like asking about our Model T, manufactured on October 26, 1926 whether it was considered a 1926 or a 1927 back then.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Koke Twigg-Smith on Thursday, October 12, 2017 - 06:16 pm:

1930. Two piece splash apron.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Thursday, October 12, 2017 - 09:12 pm:

It's 30 or 31, my coupe is late 30 and has the two piece splash aprons/sheilds on it. I have had Model A s a long time but never a 30/31 roadster.jmho

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vern (Vieux Carre) on Thursday, October 12, 2017 - 09:45 pm:

Thanks guys!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Friday, October 13, 2017 - 03:45 am:

If you look at the side pic magnified, that is NOT a two-piece apron, just a stain in a location CLOSE to where the seam is in a two piece apron (the seam would actually be under the joint of the hood & cowl; the full rear bumper and the one-piece apron would put this car in late summer or fall of 1930 production.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robbie Price on Friday, October 13, 2017 - 07:01 am:

I agree that the apparent seam may be a drip stain but the actually location of the seam should be at the location where the running board and front fender meet and not at the hood/cowl area.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration