How to backfire on purpose?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: How to backfire on purpose?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ignacio Valdes on Wednesday, October 11, 2017 - 10:58 pm:

When Shirley first started working she had this cool delayed backfire when you would turn the key off. It went away after a week for some reason. The kids enjoyed it. They wanted me to find out if there is a way to intentionally make it backfire?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Wednesday, October 11, 2017 - 11:02 pm:

With the engine running good, turn ignition off, wait a second and turn it back on. Of course you may blow out the muffler!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger - Wyoming on Wednesday, October 11, 2017 - 11:14 pm:

Ignacio

you made me smile today...I had a friend now deceased, who must have owned your car before you! He always arrived, shut down, and the car would BANG out a report of his arrival...to his eternal embarrassment.

All that went away with a valve job. I suspect you had a leaking exhaust valve that is now seating better since you've been driving it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daren Carlson on Wednesday, October 11, 2017 - 11:15 pm:

That would be "After fire".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, October 11, 2017 - 11:32 pm:

I did as Tony described with the old 1954 Plymouth a few times, but I gave it up. If I had blown out the muffler I would have had to pay for a new one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Wednesday, October 11, 2017 - 11:36 pm:

Besides the muffler, seems like the practice would be detrimental to other parts as well ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Wednesday, October 11, 2017 - 11:38 pm:

Those Hot Dog straight through mufflers/resonators are indestructible in backfires, so you can have fun with them. A wag in Spokane has a black and white tourer which will backfire on demand, just by retarding the spark and switching the ignition off briefly. It really works well on trailing throttle as you pass a slower car going down hill!!!!

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, October 12, 2017 - 02:09 am:

Many years ago, I had a '66 C#ev! pickup that had a one year only bad design smog system on it. It used a "gulp" valve which was severely prone to failure which would result in such loud Kabangs. The truck had a nearly new muffler on it which it blew apart several times. I pushed and winched and hammered that thing back into shape, welded and brazed and rehung it over and again. After about three times requiring welding to hold it together (plus a few times when a hammer alone did the trick) (along with a brand new gulp valve per month, plus the time and messy hands to change the stupid thing), the smog equipment went bye-bye.
I have never really wanted to cause a car to try to blow up the muffler since.
But sometimes I secretly smile when others do so.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep on Thursday, October 12, 2017 - 02:34 am:

Hot dog mufflers can blow up. I did it. But it took a lot of effort.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ivan on Thursday, October 12, 2017 - 03:45 am:

An aquaintance of mine (now passed on) used to use his tourer as a wedding car and often while ferrying the happy couple would turn off the ign for a second or two, then back on. All that happened is the engine stopped firing and pumped the fuel mix out into the exhaust, where it ignited with the first combustion exhaust from the re-ignited engine with a loud detonation or 3 until all the fuel mix was consumed. And yes, he did on at least one occasion, blow the muffler off the end of the exhaust pipe.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vern (Vieux Carre) on Thursday, October 12, 2017 - 06:42 am:

About 1980, during a fourth of July celebration, I watched a guy rev and pump his muscle car to try and get it to backfire. It took a while but he finally managed...and killed the engine. Then he tried and tried to get it started again and hadn't been able to by the time I left.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dufault on Thursday, October 12, 2017 - 08:11 am:

Ignacio,
To each his own, but I'd rather spend my money on ice cream than these:

backfire results...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daren Carlson on Thursday, October 12, 2017 - 10:45 pm:

Wouldn't that be after fire?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Friday, October 13, 2017 - 10:43 am:

If you simply must I think an exhaust by-pass set up will eventually save you $ on mufflers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Codman on Friday, October 13, 2017 - 10:50 am:

Daren - technically yes, a backfire is in the intake side, but it's like Kleenex vs "facial tissue" or alternator vs "AC generator"; everybody know what is meant.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Friday, October 13, 2017 - 11:20 am:

I remember my dad hauling logs one winter through some hilly country in his 1956 Ford F-6. I got to ride shot-gun as about an 8 year old on a haul that took us all day and we were still on the road after dark. We were also running low on gas, but almost home so he decided to turn off the ignition after we crested each hill and coast down to save fuel.
Near the bottom of the grade he would turn the key "ON" and dump the clutch to start the engine and we'd power up the next hill and do it again.

It all worked fine until he forgot to turn the key on one time when he dumped the clutch. After realizing his mistake he quickly flipped the key on, but not after he had already filled the exhaust system with an unburnt gas / air mixture that ignited the instant the first spent exhaust pulse left that old Y-block's combustion chambers.

BANG!

It lit up the surrounding forest on both sides of the truck and shredded the muffler.
I was looking out the window and at first thought the Russians had attacked us (we were not too far from Camp Grayling) until we heard the exhaust and smelt the fumes that now seemed to be piped directly into the cab.
We drove the last 10 miles home slowly shedding bits of the exhaust system, with the windows down and the heater going full blast.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Friday, October 13, 2017 - 06:35 pm:

I wonder if you could enrich the mix, blip the throttle, shut the switch off, hop out and walk away.
Perhaps heating up the exhaust system first with some retarded timing might help.
If nothin' else, the free starts might be more available. ;-)
I've had some non T engines do that too over the years. After shutting down, I'd walk about 20 feet away or more and bang!
Air cooled engines they were! You guys get me thinking of things I've long forgotten quite often! That's good. :-)
Maybe I'm not thinking clearly either. Had a short nap out in the sun. Felt good at 57 degrees.
Son is way down in the woods with a string and a stick hunting deer so I can't make any more noise... He chose today and I was busy.
Ignacio, if you find a method, I'd hope you let us know.
:-)

(Message edited by Duey_C on October 13, 2017)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Sunday, October 15, 2017 - 05:36 am:

That's a dumb thing to do. I exploded the muffler on our T yesterday, but not on purpose.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Missett Wyoming, PA (NE) on Tuesday, October 17, 2017 - 09:57 pm:

When I blew the muffler apart on my 23 Fordor I was able to re-assemble it :-)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration