Lang's Parts Service

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Lang's Parts Service
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willis Jenkins on Wednesday, October 11, 2017 - 11:06 pm:

I have (had) been under the assumption that Lang's was the tops in Model T parts and service. Obviously, I have been living in a dream world! So, first I had (still have) a part on back order and was told that they were picking them up at Hershey. Well, Hershey has been over for nearly a week! If that was the case, true customer service would have been to ship that tiny part out the first day of Hershey so the customer gets it so, he can continue with his project! No, here I sit still waiting for it and I have lost track how many weeks it's been already. I am thinking I will call and cancel tomorrow and go a different route instead. Today, I received not what I expected. One part I received just one of, when I ordered and paid for two! Another part was not well described on their webpage (no picture) and I am sorry I bought it! Now, while this is not a large sum of money, I am angry about my time wasted! Not to mention parts I might as well throw out as it won't pay to send them back. The shipping will cost as much as the parts! I don't believe I will ever order a part again without a picture! After quite a few orders, it only takes one serious mishap to send some people to the competition!

One unhappy customer!
Willis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Wednesday, October 11, 2017 - 11:14 pm:

Have you called and asked what is going on?
I have bought hundreds of parts over the past forty years and when not satisfied I always call. In every case involving Lang’s, Chaffins and Snyder’s, it has ALWAYS been rectified to my satisfaction. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, October 11, 2017 - 11:17 pm:

Sorry to hear they messed up on an order. They usually don't. The folks in upstate New York are famous for this kind of thing, but my experience with Lang's has always been efficient service. It wouldn't surprise me if they try to make it right when you call them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charles Weisgerber- Vancouver WA. on Wednesday, October 11, 2017 - 11:35 pm:

In all fairness you should have called Lang's first and give them the courtesy of making things right before go public with a grievance.....don't ya think? When they make it right and I'm sure they will, don't forget to tell us that story too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Wednesday, October 11, 2017 - 11:36 pm:

I don't have a dog in this fight (an expression that upsets my PETA friends), but my inclination would also be to pick up the phone and ask. My impression of Lang's from years of monitoring this forum is that they are pretty straight arrow. Hey, even I make mistakes from time to time. (Don't tell my kids I said that.)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By FreighTer Jim on Wednesday, October 11, 2017 - 11:44 pm:

Willis,

The customer is not always right - sometimes the customer is wrong.

A part on back order means it is not in stock - if you don’t want to wait - buy it somewhere else.

If a part is not well described or has no picture - pick up the phone and ask for a better description and/or image(s) before you order.

To start a thread about this says more about you than it does about the vendor - who has EARNED the respect of many customers over many years.

FJ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Wednesday, October 11, 2017 - 11:47 pm:

Yes, stuff happens. I suggest you go elsewhere since you are so upset. And then when it happens again with another supplier ... go to another. When you run out of suppliers because stuff happens ... go back to the beginning. Eventually you'll relax ... give the supplier a call so that they will be able to make things right because ... stuff happens. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, October 11, 2017 - 11:54 pm:

I will say this again; the online description is just there to aid buying online and is not the full description. Open your catalog most everything has a better description. I agree with what has been said above, you should have called and talked to them before venting here.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Anderson, central Wisconsin on Thursday, October 12, 2017 - 12:48 am:

I subscribe to the adage "If you like our service tell others. If you don't like our service tell us".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Kelsey on Thursday, October 12, 2017 - 02:48 am:

I have purchased stuff from Lang's over the past 11 years and the service has improved every single year. I have had to return several things in the past and they have always been gracious in doing so. If ever I have any questions before an order, I usually call tech support to clarify what I am getting. You will not get that type of service from the place Steve Jelf alluded to. I do not order through them anymore because of their poor customer service. I would give them a call and they will straighten out your order.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Thursday, October 12, 2017 - 05:49 am:

I ordered and picked up parts at Hershey. One of the parts was damaged and so they reordered and shipped a new one to my house as I was standing there. No questions asked and no hassle. I had it within a day. I imagine that the cost of shipping was more than the cost of the part.

I surely hope you called them to sort it out before coming on here to tell everyone about it. These kinds of posts are in poor taste unless under the most extreme of circumstances.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Thursday, October 12, 2017 - 06:08 am:

WOW.

A simple phone call might have cured alot of the issues.

Mistakes happen, you have never made any that cost other people their time?

Sometimes, if you talk to them nicely, they will pay for the return shipping.

Second to Last, If I am in a hurry to get something, I call and ask if it is in stock. If it is not, I start looking elsewhere. If you have questions on a part, call them. They are a small company, it takes alot of time to load and unload from a big show and put inventory away.

They are sympathetic to those needs of back order parts, but as a person that sells parts for a living (big diesel truck parts that cost alot more in time down not running, than the lowly Model T's here), you can't stock everything all the time, and shipping can play as much if not more havoc.

Last, chill out, it's a hobby.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Thursday, October 12, 2017 - 06:13 am:

I had a part to return to Langs. I called Ashley, and asked her if I could return it at Hershey to save myself shipping. She said yes, just label the outside with my contact information and mark the box a RETURN. I handed to Don on Wednesday. When I returned home from Hershey on Saturday, I had already received credit for the part. I was surprised they would process my credit at Hershey as busy as they were there.

It is always Lang's for me first!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron in Central Massachusetts on Thursday, October 12, 2017 - 06:19 am:

Another member in the ever growing legion of unreasonable cranks and nasty, bitter malcontents on this Forum - too much time and too little prune juice available to them.

Lang's is simply THE BEST - and there have been hundreds of testimonials to that effect on here over the years. I don't buy T parts from anyone else.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron in Central Massachusetts on Thursday, October 12, 2017 - 06:23 am:

I hope the moderator deletes this thread - Lang's deserves a lot better than this.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks on Thursday, October 12, 2017 - 06:31 am:

Willis, you are WAY out of line with this post and you are living in a dream world.

To the great folks at Lang's- on behalf of Willis let me apologize for this egregious and inappropriate post.

Lang's is simply the best and everyone knows it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Keppler, Fredon NJ on Thursday, October 12, 2017 - 06:38 am:

AMEN!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Thursday, October 12, 2017 - 06:48 am:

I don't have a dog in this fight (And I make it a point NOT to have any PETA friends), but ANYONE can make a mistake. Of the thousands of parts and customers, it's bound to happen occasionally. I'd like to say I wouldn't let one occurrence keep me from doing business with someone again, but that wasn't the case for me with Mac's. But it wasn't their service that cost them that. It was their attitude about their poor service when I called to inquire about my order. They may as well have told me "Yeah, we give crappy service and you're being unrealistic to expect otherwise." THAT's something I have no tolerance for. Goofing up my order? That's something I can deal with, unless it becomes the rule rather than the exception.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Baudoux Grayling Michigan on Thursday, October 12, 2017 - 07:17 am:

I'm with Tim Rogers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willis Jenkins on Thursday, October 12, 2017 - 07:24 am:

I'm glad everyone has had such good (great) service.
In all fairness, I did call first a week ago. I was polite and so were they. Still no part or update! Obviously, my loss......

Willis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Baker on Thursday, October 12, 2017 - 07:26 am:

Willis you said you were going to throw the parts out anyway. So who cares when you get them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Thursday, October 12, 2017 - 07:42 am:

Call their number (800) 872-7871 or send them an E-Mail or if you need to when you call ask for Don if he is not available he will call you back he is a great guy and makes a Herculean effort to keep his customers happy. FFR "you catch a lot more flies with honey than you do with vinegar". JMHO

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Thursday, October 12, 2017 - 07:56 am:

I have had my T for a year this Sunday. I have bought a lot of parts from Lang's and never had a complaint. Someone from Lang's called me yesterday to let me know that a part I had inquired about 3 months ago, that was on back order, from them and all other suppliers too, was available again.
The only time I ever had a problem was with a head bolt I ordered. My car had one odd bolt so I ordered, and paid for one. Someone at Lang's messed up and shipped me a complete set. I promptly shipped the extra ones back and received credit for the shipping charges. I buy my T parts from Lang's and will continue to do so. Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Schwab on Thursday, October 12, 2017 - 08:11 am:

Hershey was just getting started a week ago...... I'm guessing they were unpacking on Monday and if they picked up the part at Hershey as you stated it probably wasn't "in stock" until this week when they got back.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Thursday, October 12, 2017 - 08:12 am:

It's very unusual, in fact unheard of, to encounter this kind of complaint about Lang's. -I suppose it's possible an order may have slipped through the cracks somehow, or there might have been a misunderstanding or a simple, honest mistake. -I guess that happens to the best of us.

My advice would be that you phone Lang's and have a chat with Don Lang, himself. -Based on my (and just about everybody's else's) experience, I can pretty much guarantee you that he won't allow a customer to go unsatisfied—provided, of course, that customer picks up the phone and makes the problem known to management.

Again and again and again, Don Lang and his staff have demonstrated a firm policy of complete customer satisfaction—second to none, as I think all will agree. -The unmixed response you see to your thread, here, is the result of their consistent sincerity and good faith, proven through the test of quite a lot of time. -Such fierce loyalty doesn't just happen.

Give Lang's a chance to do right by you. -Pick up the phone, ask to speak to the boss, and I think you'll be delightfully surprised at the result of such simple courtesy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - West Melbourne Florida on Thursday, October 12, 2017 - 09:02 am:

Iv been with Langs for at least 15 years. I think I might have spent enough money with them to put at least one of Ashley's children through collage, Maybe not a 4 year collage. Not once have I ever had any problems. Anytime I call Steve Lang has always listened to my question and given me the advice I needed. It was once mentioned that Langs is the one parts provider that for the most part knows most of there customers by there first name. That alone is a true sign of a great customer relations. Steve, I loved your comment. My question to you Mr Jenkins, Did someone pee in your coffee?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks on Thursday, October 12, 2017 - 09:11 am:

Steve- Dan, Mark and I are from up state NY. What did you mean by "The folks in upstate New York are famous for this kind of thing"?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Rosenthal in Cincinnati Oh on Thursday, October 12, 2017 - 09:12 am:

I agree that calling out poor vendor performance here is fair game, however, the scorched earth option really should be limited to capitol offenses. Willis, please identify what's needed and lets see if someone here can help keep this project moving.
Regards,
Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Baker on Thursday, October 12, 2017 - 09:13 am:

They were referring to Macs I think.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks on Thursday, October 12, 2017 - 09:17 am:

Oh OK, I get it now. I stand down...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, October 12, 2017 - 09:40 am:

Yes, we were. If you Google forum posts about Mac's you'll see that the gripes go back several years. I crossed them off my dealer list back in snail mail days.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Thursday, October 12, 2017 - 09:47 am:

Lots of egg orders messed up this morning apparently.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Thursday, October 12, 2017 - 09:54 am:

Willis,

So, you ordered something from Lang's. They didn't have it on hand, so they couldn't send it. They hoped to get it at Hershey. Maybe they did, maybe not. Let's say they did. In the midst of all the trouble to haul their stuff to Hershey, load it up again, truck it back to MA, unload it, restock it into their warehouse and get back to business as usual, their first order of business, above all else, should be your part?? That's assuming they actually got the parts while at Hershey, as they had hoped. You know, their suppliers are mostly not big corporations, but mostly small, one man operations, that make these specialty parts, sometimes in their spare time. Lang's is at their mercy and can't sell what they haven't got.

Anyway, hope you get your T going. Let's remember, it's supposed to be fun. Have a good day.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ashley Lang on Thursday, October 12, 2017 - 09:59 am:

It is difficult to read this thread and not post. So I would like to say first, Willis, we are sorry that we had made the mistake of missing an item on your order as well as having the backorder you mentioned. Yes, we do make mistakes, yes we do whatever we can to rectify what mistakes we make. It is important to take whatever criticism we get and try to improve, just as we take every wonderful compliment we get and use that as a foundation for the business. Our customer service has been our base because we are a family business that loves the hobby. While trying to find parts and manufacturers for 80+ year old cars is not easy. We try to keep things in stock and in good quality as best as we can. We have attempted to contact the customer and hope to make this situation right as well.

Second, thank you very much for the support of our customers who commented in our defense. It is always good to know what you are doing right and hearing all the great things that has been said gives me a great feeling. I love this hobby and I love knowing that the work we put in is appreciated.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dufault on Thursday, October 12, 2017 - 10:37 am:

Ashley,

You wrote:

"..... I love this hobby ...."

Your work shows that, and is THE reason Lang's has the good reputation that it enjoys :-)

Best wishes for the continued success of the business.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Thursday, October 12, 2017 - 11:06 am:

Some parts are made in batches and the manufacturer waits until he has enough orders to affordably tool up to make it.

Lang's has no control over the manufacturer. Some parts are made by individuals with small businesses and they are getting older or have an illness and can't make the part immediately.

We are working with hobby cars and we should be very appreciative that we can even buy new parts. Many restorers of other old cars have to make their own parts.

I have been doing business with Lang's for over 25 years and have always had good service. Occasionally a part is back ordered, but they contact me and ask if I want to wait for it.

If a part is not available from one supplier, sometimes it is not available from the others either.

I don't like to see any good business get a bad report.

Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - West Melbourne Florida on Thursday, October 12, 2017 - 11:15 am:

I'll just step one last time, If Mr Jenkins is that upset with the service from Langs then I would highly suggest that he moves his business to Mac's in NY. I feel the he is the one person that would benefit from a company like Mac's. Please enjoy it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Govoni on Thursday, October 12, 2017 - 11:25 am:

Ashley Lang. Very professional response. No one can be correct 100% of the time. 99% is not that bad so I'd say you are doing just fine. I have and will continue to order from you guys in the future. You know because Model T's never need any parts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By RICHARD GRZEGOROWICZ on Thursday, October 12, 2017 - 11:26 am:

SOME PEOPLE WOULD GRIPE IF THEY WERE HUNG WITH A NEW ROPE! ITS BEEN MY PLEASURE TO DO BUSNESS WITH LANG'S after I got stung by the so called antique car dealers. Lang's comes through every time.GREG.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks on Thursday, October 12, 2017 - 11:43 am:

Ashley- you go girl!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, October 12, 2017 - 12:13 pm:

I enjoy phoning in an order and hearing a very, very, very young staff member in the shop.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dufault on Thursday, October 12, 2017 - 12:55 pm:

Steve,
May your good words and pictures continue for many, many years for our edification and so that you may be able to order parts from that very, very,very young staff member(s) you hear :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Doolittle on Thursday, October 12, 2017 - 01:15 pm:

Count 'em.

42 posts.
41 positive posts
1 negative post
This thread is helping Lang's more than its hurting them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Thursday, October 12, 2017 - 01:16 pm:

I have a few non-Ford early cars in addition to my Model T's and I can tell you how thankful I am for outfits like Lang's. Having to wait for back orders or experiencing the rare mistake in filling an order pales in comparison to what you have to go through to keep a car running that isn't supported by the network of vendors like Lang's that we are fortunate to have supporting the hobby.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Thursday, October 12, 2017 - 01:20 pm:

I want a Langs catalog.
Jeez, if we crucified everyone that makes a mistake the earth would be bare of humans.
Crap happens. But if it happens like it did for me with Mac's in quality of parts and service, Crap can get flushed.

Oops,Is that my phone ringing?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Codman on Thursday, October 12, 2017 - 02:02 pm:

Willis, please don't take this as an insult - we all have bad days, but in this case I agree with Freighter Jim 100%. In the rare instances where I have had a problem with a Lang's order, even in one case where the mistake was mine, they have always made it right.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Heavner on Thursday, October 12, 2017 - 03:17 pm:

I always call my orders in and I have not had a problem. If there is something they do not have in stock, back ordered or cannot do, they tell me up front. If I have a question after I order a part, I call. They have always been helpful. Also their techs are outstanding.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willis Jenkins on Thursday, October 12, 2017 - 04:31 pm:

James,

The poorly described part is what can be tossed as it is not worth sending back. That item, being a separate project, I shall fabricate on my own. I'm not going to be able to find an appropriate substitute.

Will,

I don't drink coffee and I have ordered from Macs before without a problem.

Scott,

I have chosen a good used original part to move my project forward.

Jerry,

Yes, working on our old cars is fun and that's why I wish to get back to it! Before it becomes too cold. I am just upset I have lost a good deal of time and don't want to wait 6 months to get back to it!

Val,

I also, have some early non-Ford cars and am very accustomed to having to fabricate parts when a good usable part is not available.
I thought ordering something already out there would be quicker.....

To everyone else, I applaud your very positive experiences.
I fear my project will have to wait till springtime though......

Willis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Thursday, October 12, 2017 - 06:49 pm:

I get upset when I call Lang's for parts and Ashley dosen't answer the phone.
It puts me in a really bad mood until I can get another cup of coffee.

Don needs to add a special line where Ashley (even recorded) wishes people to have a nice day so we can have our fix.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Nikolajevs Dearborn, MI on Thursday, October 12, 2017 - 07:23 pm:

"After quite a few orders, it only takes one serious mishap to send some people to the competition!"

As I read your first post the serious mistake that is on Lang's is "Today, I received not what I expected. One part I received just one of, when I ordered and paid for two!" In your second post you stated "I did call first a week ago." Before posting on the forum did you call to ask them to rectify the concern? Although, based on your frustration level it seems like nothing shy of them driving the second part out to you would have satisfied you.

"Another part was not well described on their webpage (no picture) and I am sorry I bought it!" "I don't believe I will ever order a part again without a picture!" Perhaps you could let them know what the part is so they can consider adding a picture. Not sure how this is their fault.

The backorder issue has been covered by others. We are lucky to have folks to make parts for our cars and although it is disappointing is it worth berating the vendor?

Peter- A satisfied Lang's customer for over 30 years! (Now I feel old.)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Keppler, Fredon NJ on Thursday, October 12, 2017 - 07:23 pm:

Jeez what a grouch, maybe someone peed in your cornflakes? Take a chill pill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bruce Compton on Thursday, October 12, 2017 - 07:38 pm:

It sure is refreshing to hear all the positive feedback about Langs. On my way home from Hershey I thought about posting a note on this forum complimenting Langs service and the trouble they go to by saving their customers shipping when they deliver orders to Hershey but got sidetracked messin' with my Hershey purchases. All too often we take service like this for granted and rarely mention it, but are quick to point out something negative. I've been in this "hobby" for over 50 years and have encountered every sort of parts vendors from J.C Whitney years ago to now people like Russ Potter,Glen Chaffin, John Regan and Don Lang. We are so very fortunate to have honest reliable and knowledgeable vendors contributing to our hobby and would be lost without them. In between my Model T projects, I played with Model A's and early V8's, and had similar very positive dealings with George Moir in Western Canada and Partick Dykes in Arizona, both vendors on the same level as Langs. Way too often the "bad news travels fast" saying is applied, and way to seldom is praise forwarded to those who deserve it. I think this thread has gone a long way on fixing that. Cheers : Bruce

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Thursday, October 12, 2017 - 07:42 pm:

I just got into this post obviously quite late..I'm in bed by 10, and only had a few minutes this morning to be on the computer. So I missed it.

That said, I can't say anything bad about Langs, Ashley, Steve, or anyone there. End of discussion. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eck Sheppard on Thursday, October 12, 2017 - 07:44 pm:

I have ordered many things from Lang's In fact got an order today. If I had a concern it was fixed prompt. I will continue to order from them and thank them for their hard work for the hobby.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Thursday, October 12, 2017 - 08:22 pm:

May I politely ask what the part is that is not worth sending back?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Thursday, October 12, 2017 - 08:42 pm:

I buy parts from langs and have had to ask Steve for advise several times. I always get my orders in a timely manor and get good service from Ashley. After restoring many first generation mustangs,i can tell you the big vendors don't care about your business. Langs does care and I appreciate their service. Jmho

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Borland. Bathurst. NSW. Australia. on Thursday, October 12, 2017 - 09:14 pm:

I would like to take the opportunity to thank Langs and Snyders for their help and valuable service. Items sent have been received usually within two weeks, not bad for a trip half way around the world. Emails exchanged when parts unavailable and on back order to ask for my decision to send incomplete order or wait for part availability to keep the international transport cost down. I had an axle go missing during transport one time and a replacement was sent no cost to me. That's service!! You don't get that at big box stores !! Talk to the supplier, you will be pleasantly surprised.

Peter.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Thursday, October 12, 2017 - 10:37 pm:

A couple of months ago, when I broke a fragile electric accessory that was no longer available because the gentleman who manufactured them had passed away, I got in touch with Lang's in the hope that they could steer me to a left-over somewhere (They had helped me that way before).

Unfortunately, they couldn't advise me as to where to look, but Steve Lang told me to send him the broken pieces so he could "take a look at it." -I did, and a few weeks later, the beautifully repaired accessory was returned to me. -No charge, no shipping cost, no nothing. -It was just a wonderfully altruistic courtesy extended to a Lang's customer.

My thanks to you again, Sir.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Dugger on Thursday, October 12, 2017 - 10:58 pm:

To Bob and Willis: A few months ago I broke an axle in my Depot Hack. The axle had come from Lang's when I rebuilding my Ruckstel axle. The axle had very few miles on it when it broke. I took photos and sent it to Steve and in the mean time I ordered a new axle and on the computer came a credit for the axle. In Steve's mind the axle had a flaw when it was made.
That is Customer Service!!!!!!!!!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willis Jenkins on Friday, October 13, 2017 - 12:19 am:

Peter Borland, Bob & Bill,

Those are truly outstanding stories of customer service, to say the least!!!
I have made other choices for my projects to move forward.
I am curious though, when the back ordered item will show up. Since the item is no longer necessary and I have made no further complaint or enquiring with Lang's. It was only $40 plus the shipping. Based on the info I was told prior to Hershey, that that is where and when it was being picked up, let's all see when it shall appear at my front door, shall we? Aren't you curious as well? I am not waiting on pins and needles so, no reason to complain further. I was told, "they are being picked up at Hershey, and I am leaving in a half hour." I will let ya'll know when the day the part arrives. Then I'll just toss it in the Surplus box. Wether it arrives next week or next year, I will post that they made good. Fair enough?

Willis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By FreighTer Jim on Friday, October 13, 2017 - 12:48 am:

Willis,

Put the shovel down ....

The hole is deep enough.

FJ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charles Weisgerber- Vancouver WA. on Friday, October 13, 2017 - 01:01 am:

"I will let ya'll know when the day the part arrives."

With all due respect Willis.... save us the headache. Good luck with your project whatever it may be.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Friday, October 13, 2017 - 09:41 am:

FJ...re ur comic pic... I'm LMAO!!! Love it! If you're ever in my neck of the woods again with say an hour to spare, stop in, I'll take ya for a ride around the countryside! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Friday, October 13, 2017 - 10:02 am:

I really don't need to know when the missing part arrives. I have enough issues to deal with of my own.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Friday, October 13, 2017 - 10:54 am:

Gee, I don't know what to say or write, except to say that I'm not complaining about Lang's. Yes, I had a part or two back ordered in the past from Lang's, but they always made it good and satisfied me. If I wanted to RANT, it would be against another supplier who I bought a set of tires from. Since they didn't go to Chickasha, I made arrangements with them to let another one of their customers going to Okie Land, pick them up and bring them to Chickasha. Somehow the word didn't get passed around their business, and the customer was told there wasn't an order to be picked up. When I heard this at Chickasha, I was disappointed to say the least. Actually, I was very upset. When I called the vendor and complained, at first, he wasn't going to do anything. I suggested that he ought to pay the freight because of the mess up. He reluctantly did and I got my tires, but I'll never try to avoid freight charges again by having someone else pick up parts. It wasn't the fault of the other customer who was supposed to pick up the parts. It was the vendor's. All in all, in over 50 years of dealing with vendors, I have had few complaints or disappointments and I don't think bad mouthing a vendor on the Forum will get you much sympathy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Codman on Friday, October 13, 2017 - 10:59 am:

When a part is backordered, the vendor knows only what the supplier tells him/her. The vendor can make no promises based on the performance of someone outside of their own company. As FJ said, if they tell you that it's backordered, either put on your waiting suit, or try to find it somewhere else. With Land's, I usually put on my waiting suit; I know that they will do their best to get it in a timely manner.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James L. Bodkin - Jim on Friday, October 13, 2017 - 11:29 am:

The next time I have a problem with Lang's (I NEVER had one) I know not to post it on here!! To Don, Steve, Jimmy, Ashley, Ashley, and anyone else I missed, you should be PROUD of the responses!! It looks like a 100+% approval rate. Keep up the good work and have a great day.

Jim Bodkin

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allen Brintnall on Friday, October 13, 2017 - 12:16 pm:

I have placed several orders in the past year, and no problems. Thanks Lang's. Allen SWMo.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Dugger on Friday, October 13, 2017 - 12:22 pm:

I would say that if FJ ever comes thru Redding,Ca and holes up for the night, let me know in advance and I would even buy him a Hamburger and Fries.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Fischer - Arroyo Grande, CA on Friday, October 13, 2017 - 02:35 pm:

Just another positive comment on Lang's:

A couple of months ago I called and asked to purchase a used rear wheel hub. I was told that it might be a while because they would have to dig through their pile and bead blast a few to be sure that what the one they went had good threads, good bore, free of cracks, etc. That was OK, since my car wasn't ready to go back together anyhow.

OK, a couple of months go by and no hub. So I called them on the phone and asked if my hub was still on their list. The very pleasant young woman (Ashley, I presume) checked her records and then put me on a short hold to "Ask Don about it". When she came back on the line she said, "I'm sorry for the delay. Don will get right on it."

Three days later, my hub showed up on the front porch. That's three days from MA to CA -- coast to coast. They must have shipped the very day I called.

So I guess my first call fell through the cracks. No big deal. The two months time was probably more due to my slowness to check back than their tardiness. And they certainly did make it right when I did call.

Stuff happens.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mario Brossard on Saturday, October 14, 2017 - 08:12 am:

Personally, I really appreciate my customer experience with Lang family for several years by now. They are honest and they provide diamond service all the time. I thought, if Willis call them directly to fix his issue he will be please to see how Lang folks were able to fix it. I would say 99,9% people are very please with Lang family and I really hope to continue doing business with them again for many and many years. Lang's made our T hobby fun and and I feel I have a solid partner to help me in my s T project. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter B. Ratledge on Saturday, October 14, 2017 - 09:29 pm:

AS I remember, Don lang's father Herb was selling parts from the trunk of his car in the late 70's up at Hershey. At that time Don Snyder had a big tent selling all kinds of T parts up there.( No disrespect to Snyder's) A few years later Don Lang had a big tent selling T parts up there.I have been dealing with Don Lang for years. Never any problem. If a part is on back order, I would try somewhere else, or just wait.
Being in business myself, I know how hard it is to keep all the old lady's satisfied all the time.
Don's's store is doing a good job !!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Saturday, October 14, 2017 - 11:02 pm:

Bill, The fries & Burger at Bartell's?
:-)
David D.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Timothy Kelly on Saturday, October 14, 2017 - 11:05 pm:

My experiences with Don, and his sons and their wives, has been nothing short of terrific.

Thank you Lang's for all your assistance.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Dodd on Sunday, October 15, 2017 - 12:45 am:

David & Bill

Bartell's is great. My wife and I stop at the one in Corning whenever we are doing a road trip to Seattle. They didn't used to have fries!

Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Dugger on Sunday, October 15, 2017 - 01:14 am:

Bill Dodd; Well I go to the Barells daily for coffee in the morning and in the afternoon. I used to go and have a burger e=veryday, but after a 4 way bypass I cut back. My son and my wife go there on
Saturday for lunch, that day it cost me about $28 as my kid likes to eat.
So next time you go north try the Bartells on Lake Blvd. It is only a short distance off the Interstate. You can see I-5 from Bartelss. They have been open for 40 pus years. Our store (my son) sold the Cash register there and in Anderson, so I kinda have to spend my money there instead of some other place!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andre Valkenaers on Sunday, October 15, 2017 - 01:37 am:

Buying model T parts from Lang and Snyders for about 20 years now, never had a problem with them.

Once I ordered a magneto coil ring from Lang. As it arrived the core was broken. Just send them a mail with some photos of the ring and the box. Within a week a new ring arrived for free (normal it takes 2 to 3 weeks to get the parts here)No need to send the broken one back.

It takes a live time and a lot of work and help to build up a good reputation. It takes only one person and a few seconds to destroy it.

Just think about this.
You are free to tell what you are thinking but think you stay responsible for what you are telling.

Thanks for the great service you both are offering.

Andre
Belgium

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By FreighTer Jim on Sunday, October 15, 2017 - 04:43 am:

Hi Tim - Two Bills - David .....

I know Bartel’s Giant Burger all too well ..... :-)

Next time I am up that way I will stop & visit.

I have talked to Mr. Don Lang a few times on the phone.

This has turned out to be yet another positive thread for a well respected long time vendor who successfully runs a family business that has been around a helluva long time.

Thanks to all who have posted ..... :-)

FJ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Sunday, October 15, 2017 - 11:09 am:

Andre, not to disagree, but it takes more than one person to destroy a reputation, and only if that "one" has the right of his complaint. No one in business can please every customer; some are, frankly, unreasonable, and their bad-mouthing and complaints say more about them than the party they're complaining about. Old Spanish proverb: "remember, when you point a finger, there are three pointing back at yourself !"

I'll add my "vote" to say how well Lang's have treated my small orders. They are a pleasure to deal with !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Sunday, October 15, 2017 - 12:49 pm:

Hey guys,
Bartel's used have PIE too!! I miss that! I didn't know there is one in Corning, I'll have to check it out sometime (we usually bypass Corning nowadays and take 99 (used to be 99E)--which requires a stop at Pumkinland for an Ice Cream cone. . . .).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R. S. Cruickshank on Sunday, October 15, 2017 - 02:16 pm:

Lang's has always been the "go to" place for T parts. I trade with others as well and find most dealers try to do their best to achieve customer satisfaction. I have learned however, to ask when placing and order if they would check inventory before I order to ensure the part(s) will be together and avoid back orders. They have always accommodated me that way and I am not surprised two or three days later when the order arrives.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Frost on Sunday, October 15, 2017 - 02:27 pm:

Just placed an order. Noticed they had a box to mark to cancel back order items. No reason to get upset over a thing that could have been marked during the order process. Thanks Lang's for all you do for the Model T hobby.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks on Sunday, October 15, 2017 - 03:47 pm:

Well at least the thread title got changed, thank you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Dugger on Sunday, October 15, 2017 - 04:20 pm:

David Dewey: Bartells is located on Corning Road on the west side of I-5. You can't miss it as it has a tall sign and as you come down thru the main part of Corning just pass over the Freeway and it is on your left and a lot of parking there. Eric Bartell is the head frog there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Dugger on Sunday, October 15, 2017 - 04:26 pm:

David if you stop by Bartells and you ask if Eric is there tell him I suggested the one with the arches but so as not to raise a problem stop there and give him the business. I do not have any idea why they stopped the pies unless the pie maker died. See I make Gooseberry cobblers at out house.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alex Dragone on Monday, October 16, 2017 - 06:07 pm:

I have never had any trouble with Langs, they are really great and have great service. Instead of bashing them on here, give them a call and I am sure Don will be happy to speak with you himself and straighten out any issues you may have.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By FreighTer Jim on Monday, October 16, 2017 - 08:05 pm:

Only on the MTFCA forum could a parts service thread rant Digress into a burger joint review .... :-)

Me Thinks another thread title change might be in order .....

Oh Moderator - Where Art Thou ?

This thread about Lang’s ....
Needs adjustment once More ....
For reviews have been Added....
Of a Wondrous Burger Store .....

FJ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Saturday, October 21, 2017 - 06:47 pm:

I applied for a catalog Wednesday and got it today.that is fast best I can tell.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Russ Furstnow on Sunday, October 22, 2017 - 08:11 pm:

I will make this short and sweet. Lang's is the BEST!!!
I hope this helps,
Russ Furstnow

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Sunday, October 22, 2017 - 08:18 pm:

And you know, I still aint read what the "part" was that was not worth sending back? I don't mean any disrespect but sheesh,is it some kind of secret being kept by the CIA or something? Why not just tell us what the part is?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Sunday, October 22, 2017 - 08:47 pm:

OT, Bill, Gooseberry Cobbler??? Methinks I need to add extra time on my next trip to Dunsmuir!! YUUUUUMMMMM!!!!
I'll even bring the Ice Cream!!
:-)
David
PS Sorry, FJ!! but ya gotta admit Bartell's is GOOOD.)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Curtis Fesler on Sunday, October 22, 2017 - 08:49 pm:

I've had my first "T" a little over a week and from what I've read from the people on the board I'm convinced that Lang's is a reputable business providing an honest, dependable service. Thanks for all the testimonials. I asked for a number of catalogs because I will be needing a lot of parts so guess who I'm going with?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, October 22, 2017 - 09:11 pm:

Curtis, welcome to the affliction. While I often buy from Lang's, I like to spread my piddling little purchases around and support several of our good parts dealers. Those include Birdhaven, Bob's, and Chaffin's as well as Lang's.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration