Simmons/Wizard Flapper continuation I hope.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Simmons/Wizard Flapper continuation I hope.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, October 12, 2017 - 12:33 am:

Okay. For those that may have missed it, there has been some discussion in the classifieds area about the need for flapper chokes for Simmons and Wizard carburetors. I figured it may be better to continue that discussion here where it shouldn't disappear after awhile.

I hope this works okay. Ever since our old cameras died a few years ago, our new camera has proven to be difficult to load pictures onto our computer. With the help of my lovely Linda, and being mostly stuck inside today due to the smoke from California burning, I have attempted to take pictures of, and hopefully now post, parts from my recently found long-lost Simmons carburetor.

First, a sort-of exploded view of the carburetor and most of its pieces. Please note, the fuel adjustment needle is missing, and therefore not shown. Other parts shown include the ni-chrome wire preheater that some but not all Simmons/Wizard carburetors had. The choke and throttle pieces and flapper automatic choke valve are in approximate position.

The next few shots hopefully will show the flapper and its shaft from different angles.

And to help with size references.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, October 12, 2017 - 01:00 am:

For as long as it continues to be available, a link to the classified's discussion,

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/3487/796763.html?1507783105

The long sad tale of my Simmons is that I bought it about 45 years ago, at a swap meet. It was in a box with another carburetor, and I got them both. The other one was a standard Holley NH. I didn't know it was special until I got it home. It was damaged, and missing several pieces. I began to consider how I could make it usable, and had taken it apart, trying to fit other T carburetor parts to work. When, the family moved. Somehow, in that move the carburetor itself, and the small can of parts and pieces got separated. Since then, I got married, had a family, and moved several more times. For 40 years, I have been able to find either the small can of parts, or the carburetor, but not both. Until just a couple years ago when I finally got them into the same box in the same storage shed. One of the problems with having too much STUFF is if you must move, you will wind up with things you want and have, but may never actually see again.
Maybe now, I can finally finish finding and fitting parts to make this one complete. Maybe then, I can actually try it on a model T!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Thursday, October 12, 2017 - 02:23 am:

Thank you Wayne. They must have made several changes over the years of production or could be difference between the carbs sold under different names. The one I have did not have the piece holding the shaft in place. The casting included the pass thru for the shaft.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger - Wyoming on Thursday, October 12, 2017 - 10:06 am:

Wayne

thanks very much for taking the time to put this together and photograph it. I have one of these somewhere that was given to me by someone who thought they were buying an NH straight-through. When they realized their mistake, I was the recipient, though I never undertook the effort of a rebuild. Since I never took it apart, I had no idea what was inside beyond the preheater wire which is a big give-away as to it's pedigree.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bruce Compton on Thursday, October 12, 2017 - 10:15 am:

WOW, Thanks Wayne for taking the time to provide this excellent information. I have four NOS Kingston flappers and now realize that they are not even close to being useful for the Simmons/Wizard application (if anyone wants them for free, let me know). I wonder if it makes a difference as to which surface faces which way, but I'm assuming that the side with the two buttons and the washer counterweight faces towards the inside when installed and the flapper is closed. The part looks somewhat complicated to reproduce exactly, but I have dozens of used NH choke and throttle plates and will do some experimenting and post what I find. Thanks again Wayne as it's efforts like yours that make this forum special. I hope you are not too close to the wildfires that are devastating parts of California. It's a huge "wake-up" call to realize that we are concerned about Model T parts while others are loosing their lives and/or life long possessions due to this natural disaster. Cheers : Bruce

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Thursday, October 12, 2017 - 11:25 am:

Re; The Kingston flappers
I sent a PM, I have a few Kingston's that are missing parts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bruce Compton on Thursday, October 12, 2017 - 11:50 am:

The Kingston flappers are on their way to be put to use in Oregon; Cheers : Bruce

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Thursday, October 12, 2017 - 12:04 pm:

Thank you! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly Montana on Thursday, October 12, 2017 - 01:49 pm:

I'm running a Simmons on my Tudor. Lucked out as the flapper looks like new. Good carb.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration