Fortune telling

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Fortune telling
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Lefeber on Thursday, October 12, 2017 - 09:50 am:

I see a new timing gear I my future.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Thursday, October 12, 2017 - 09:57 am:

I'm seeing something shiny... is it aluminum.... or maybe bronze....??? The spirit world is not clear on that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, October 12, 2017 - 10:06 am:

Your fiber gear looks a lot better than mine did.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Thursday, October 12, 2017 - 11:22 am:

At least with the valve in block design you don't have to worry about valves hitting the pistons when that happens.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cameron Whitaker, Oklahoma City on Thursday, October 12, 2017 - 11:27 am:

I've always suspected that fiber timing gears can contribute to broken cranks.

Since the timing gear also controls ignition timing, if the fiber gear strips it seriously changes your valve and ignition timing, fires the plug at the wrong time, tries to make the crank go in a direction it doesn't want to go, and BAM! Broken crank.

Yes, the Force is weak with that one :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Thursday, October 12, 2017 - 11:29 am:

Cameron,

That has always been my belief as well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Thursday, October 12, 2017 - 11:31 am:

I think the future is now! You might want to get a new cam nut while you are at it.
What condition is the crank and generator gear in?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Thursday, October 12, 2017 - 11:48 am:

I could have told you that would happen.

My mind is a medium.

Or maybe it's a small.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Lefeber on Thursday, October 12, 2017 - 12:10 pm:

I ordered an aluminum timing gear, cam nut, gaskets, etc. on Monday and they should be delivered tonight.
Guess what I'll be doing tomorrow night.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A Bartsch on Thursday, October 12, 2017 - 12:35 pm:

In this situation, replacing one gear only in an engine with some miles on it, do you install a 'stock' or 'oversize' aluminum cam gear? One vendor suggests a longer-lived geartrain will be had with 'oversized' cam gear in a worn engine?

"Camshaft Large spiral cut timing gear, Aluminum, .005 OVERSIZE.
If you are only replacing your large timing gear, you probably will need this oversize gear. If the gear lash between the gears is too great it will cause both gears to wear much faster."

Which gear & how do you know which one to use? jb

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Schultz_Sheboygan,WI on Thursday, October 12, 2017 - 12:45 pm:

How did you get the front cover off with the crankshaft pulley still on the crankshaft?

If you need a hand give me a holler, just did this to the coupe a couple of weeks ago.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Thursday, October 12, 2017 - 01:34 pm:

Ken,

Unless it's excellent, and it does not appear to be, you might consider buying a new generator gear too. It will make for a better fit, create less noise, and last longer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Thursday, October 12, 2017 - 02:12 pm:

i guess it could be worse, got to love the T simplicity.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Thursday, October 12, 2017 - 03:28 pm:

Ed, what a great picture ! What IS that thing ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Thursday, October 12, 2017 - 03:35 pm:

a diesel locomotive engine

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Thursday, October 12, 2017 - 03:38 pm:

A 27-litre Napier Deltic 2-stroke Diesel engine to be precise.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Thursday, October 12, 2017 - 03:38 pm:

Wow. Just think, a Model T only has 21 gears total ( if I counted right )

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Thursday, October 12, 2017 - 04:13 pm:

Ooops ! Add three more for electric starter . . .

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration