OT- 1911 Buick

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: OT- 1911 Buick
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Bente on Thursday, October 12, 2017 - 09:56 am:

A 1911 Buick Model 33 found me.
Iím looking for a forum, a parts source and other folks that may be able to advise me.
Iím not even really sure about how to drive it, three hand levers, three peddles, and two floor buttons, along with the spark and throttle levers on the steering wheel.
r/s Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Thursday, October 12, 2017 - 09:58 am:

Buick forum.

http://forums.aaca.org/forum/60-buick-pre-war/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Thursday, October 12, 2017 - 10:42 am:

BrassBuicks@yahoo

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Thursday, October 12, 2017 - 10:56 am:

There's an interesting story here in my hometown about an early ( 1910 or 1912) Buick. Probably in the teens a man came to someone's door and ask if he could leave his car there as he was having mechanical troubles with it. He left , without the Buick and never returned. The Buick was eventually repaired and I think, is still owned by the family.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Thursday, October 12, 2017 - 11:09 am:

The guy knew what Buicks are worth didn't he?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Friday, October 13, 2017 - 12:22 am:

I collect brass era original photos. If you peruse old photos its really amazing how many old photos show Buick's in some form of repair.

My fav is a 1909 model 16 with the jugs broken and lifted off the crankcase. I have another in a old repair shop, with several brass era Buick's torn apart and stuff strewn all over the dirt floor.

All in all a fitting tribute to an early automobile maker, broken busted and of course not running.

just kiddin'

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willis Jenkins on Friday, October 13, 2017 - 12:36 am:

Robert,

Congrats on an excellent find! Buicks are, "a valve in head and ahead in value." Check out the Pre War Buick forum for help.

Cheers,
Willis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Friday, October 13, 2017 - 12:59 am:

Nearly all models of brass era Buicks are quite popular with the Horseless Carriage crowd. Yes, they do have a few shortcomings (like breaking crankshafts, sound familiar?). However basically all the models from early two cylinder up through the big sixes of '15 are good performers in their class, and usually fairly reliable. One of my mentors when I was getting into this hobby had a small model 1912 touring car that he had restored, and toured with a lot. He kept that car till the day he died (close to 45 years). One of my closest long-time friends now has the big six (C-55 ?) seven passenger touring car. to call it a fantastic road car would not be an overstatement.

Photos and more details please?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert V. I. Fitzhugh on Friday, October 13, 2017 - 02:42 am:

I have a 1912 Buick Model 35. That's the smallest of the three touring cars Buick made that year. The engine is a tad smaller than a Model T (3-3/4x3-3/4), but the car weighs half again as much. Yet I consistently keep up with, or pull ahead of, stock Ts on HCCA tours. It has a 3-speed sliding gear transmission, but it rarely needs to be shifted on a hill. This is good because, despite having very well chosen ratios, the linkage is really clumsy and awkward to shift. I just got back from two days of touring in the Hershey Hangover, the second day in the rain. The car ran fine, but it will need a week of cleaning - it looks as though I parked it in a mangrove swamp when the tide came in.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Hoffer on Friday, October 13, 2017 - 06:53 am:

I have a 1912 Buick model 34, which is a 2 seat roadster. After I got the former owner worked out of the car, I found it to be one sprightly little bugger. Good power and handling. You can really make it dance! I missed the HH tour. Gil is more waterproof than I am.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Bente on Friday, October 13, 2017 - 01:05 pm:

Thank you all for the responses. My Model A club has not blacklisted me for my many transgressions, yet. I just like the old cars, Ford are not. I would still consider a trade for a 1911 Torpedo, or N R S Ford.
r/s Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Friday, October 13, 2017 - 02:49 pm:

I like it! Different model, but same color as my friend's '12. Just looking at the picture brings back memories. The color was not correct for his model, but was a correct Buick color for some models in the day. His car's original color was a sort of burnt orange brown. He said that when he restored the car, he just couldn't stand the thought of the car that original brown. So he chose the blue with yellow cream as a nicer yet era Buick choice.
Beautiful car!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Mc Willie on Friday, October 13, 2017 - 03:28 pm:

Great looking Buick. Those are peppy tour cars when they are sorted out correctly. The engine is basically like a Model T with an overhead valve conversion. You'll have lots of fun with the car. Congratulations.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Friday, October 13, 2017 - 05:21 pm:

That IS beautiful!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Howard C. Sullivan on Friday, October 13, 2017 - 09:48 pm:

I haven't noticed any post lately from, Jay in Northern California.. Hope all is ok..

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration