No brake pedal return spring

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: No brake pedal return spring
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Thursday, October 12, 2017 - 11:08 am:

My '21 Touring has too much free play in the brake pedal. There is no factory hole in the pedal for the spring. I have drilled a small hole and put in a cotter pin thru to attach a brake light switch. I guess I can attach a return spring in the cotter pin also.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Thursday, October 12, 2017 - 11:15 am:

Depending on how strong the spring is, I don't think the cotter pin will hold it. You might try making a U shaped clip with one leg longer that wraps around the pedal shank. Drill a thru hole for a bolt to keep it in place and hole in the longer leg for the end of the spring.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger - Wyoming on Friday, October 13, 2017 - 12:26 am:

If you have too much free play it is because your brake cam on the hog's head is worn out. Replacing the cam and possibly building the brake pedal ramp up with some weld will remedy the root cause of this and you will not need a return spring.

You'll also be amazed at how much more stopping power you'll have when the pedal shaft moves like it was designed to...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, October 13, 2017 - 12:53 am:

The good news is that the cam is on the outside so you don't have to pull the hogshead to replace it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, October 13, 2017 - 08:38 am:

If you decide to replace the pedal cam, be careful pulling the pedal out, or the nut, washer, and/or band spring will drop down into the abyss of the transmission and you'll have to find them and fish them back out (been there, done that). Best plan is to tie a long string (dental floss works well) to the parts so that they can be retrieved if they drop. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Friday, October 13, 2017 - 08:54 am:

Tommy,

"There is no factory hole in the pedal for the spring."

There was never such a thing from the factory. Do you have a spring between the ends of you brake band, inside the transmission? In addition to a worn out cam your spring may also be weak. or missing. Check that out.

By the way, if your pedal cam is worn out, just replacing the cam that bolts to the hogshead will not fix the problem. The worn cam surface on the pedal itself must also be addressed. That's a bit harder to do, since the only replaceable item is the pedal itself.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nevada Bob Middleton on Saturday, October 14, 2017 - 04:15 pm:

Band spring is short or weak
Only free pedal is between the pedal cam and the pedal notch cam on the hogs head
The band can be adjusted correctly but not have the correct tension for return

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Sunday, October 15, 2017 - 05:23 pm:

Yesterday I/we drove our T for the first time and did some adjusting on the clutch and the brake pedal. By days end the brake seemed to need adjusting again. Today I took the cover back off for a look. I believe I need a washer on with the spring on the brake band. Possibly the ears on the band are spread a little as the spring tries to wedge between the ears. I dread taking the nut and washer off but I guess I will.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger - Wyoming on Sunday, October 15, 2017 - 07:04 pm:

post a close-up photo of the bands for the forum before you do that...

thank you

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Horlick in Penn Valley, CA on Sunday, October 15, 2017 - 07:12 pm:

Consider using a zip tie on the band ears so you won't have to fish that out of the "abyss". Also taking up the tension in the band with that tie will decrease the likelihood of launching the band nut or washer.

IMHO, TH

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nevada Bob Middleton on Sunday, October 15, 2017 - 09:29 pm:

TH GOOD IDEA
I used wire before but zip tie sound better will try next time

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Monday, October 16, 2017 - 10:40 am:

I got the flat washers on. I stuffed rags, wired the ears, dental flossed the washers and nuts, and all went well. No more droopy pedal. Now when I get the muffler back on the car I will try it out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Monday, October 16, 2017 - 02:08 pm:

I drove the car and the brakes fell good.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration