Why only one oil hole on number two main bearing?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Why only one oil hole on number two main bearing?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Thursday, October 12, 2017 - 11:17 am:

As I am rebuilding another T engine I am wondering if it would be advisable to drill a second oil hole for the center main.
It would seem to me it would benefit from splashed oil from both number two and number three rods.
Right now it is a bare block, now is the time to do it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Saylor, Citrus Heights, Ca on Thursday, October 12, 2017 - 11:50 am:

I did that one both of my cars. One thirty years ago and the other twenty years ago.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kohnke Rebabbitting, Clare, Iowa on Thursday, October 12, 2017 - 02:24 pm:

Two is fine, they were drilled like that on the later blocks.

Herm.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Putnam, Bluffton, Ohio on Thursday, October 12, 2017 - 02:41 pm:

The first fifteen million got along without a second hole. FWIW.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Thursday, October 12, 2017 - 04:12 pm:

I've only come across 2 holes in pre Canadian veteran blocks, from then on, only 1 hole in Canadian blocks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Friday, October 13, 2017 - 07:46 am:

Ford made two oil holes in the center bearing until 1914. The start of only one hole was at August 26, 1914: http://www.mtfca.com/encyclo/doc14.htm
To get a feel for how long time it could take from a change in the drawing until actual change in production, here's an example - the engine block drawing change was recorded 07-18-14: http://www.mtfca.com/encyclo/E.htm#eng2

This was a cost cutting change - Ford didn't find any significant change with only one hole, but he never intended his cars to last more than 100 years, more like five years, so since I have the time to do stuff like that when overhauling, I did drill an extra hole on both my engines and do benefit from a better oil flow to my center mains without any ill effects.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration