FJ - Spending Time With Ted Ashmanís Model T Memories

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: FJ - Spending Time With Ted Ashmanís Model T Memories
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By FreighTer Jim on Thursday, October 12, 2017 - 07:12 pm:

Today was yet another great day ....

Drove a bit off my planned route to pick up some parts for some friends - was rewarded to visit with some Model T Memories from one of the Great Ones who have moved on.

Hope you enjoy ..... :-)

FJ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By FreighTer Jim on Thursday, October 12, 2017 - 07:16 pm:

FJ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By FreighTer Jim on Thursday, October 12, 2017 - 07:19 pm:

FJ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By FreighTer Jim on Thursday, October 12, 2017 - 07:23 pm:

FJ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By FreighTer Jim on Thursday, October 12, 2017 - 07:27 pm:

FJ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By FreighTer Jim on Thursday, October 12, 2017 - 07:31 pm:

FJ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By FreighTer Jim on Thursday, October 12, 2017 - 07:35 pm:

FJ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Perkins / St. Croix Valley Mn on Thursday, October 12, 2017 - 07:56 pm:

I am most happy to have Tedís two books......wish I could have met him........

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Simmering, Afton, TN on Thursday, October 12, 2017 - 08:16 pm:

Karen and I first met Ted on the MTFCA tour in Ohio 1n 1984. He and Carolyn attended both of the tours we ran in NH in the late 90,s He was a "one of a kind" individual.... lots of good memories.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Thursday, October 12, 2017 - 08:30 pm:

FJ, you are right, Ted was one of the great ones. He was a wealth of knowledge, always willing to help anyone. He never claimed to know everything about T's and was always willing to listen to others ideas. This really shows in his Tinkering Tips publications.

I was on a National tour that Ted was on one time, driving my 26 "Grapes of Wrath". This car came from a junkyard in North Dakota. I replaced missing parts, used burlap bags to cover the seats and I drive it that way. On this tour there was a long straight road, I was passing slower cars, Ted was right in back of me passing the same cars. When we got to the next destination, He came over to me and said,"It runs pretty good doesn't it."
I was honored by his comment.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By FreighTer Jim on Thursday, October 12, 2017 - 08:44 pm:

For days like today - this is why I am on the road.

The opportunity to experience this is a Gift.

For this - today & every day - I am Grateful.

FreighTer Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Thursday, October 12, 2017 - 08:48 pm:

Ted's '15 roadster-pickup currently resides in New Hampshire.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Mills_Cherry Hill NJ on Thursday, October 12, 2017 - 09:10 pm:

Wow...the 1981 Elgin National Road Race! I was there with the 25 Fordor. Ken Kesmery...the road race Chairman...that's another blast from the past too...what a character!

Ken had some money behind him. Lived in a mansion just outside of Chicago. The claim was that Ken made his money in construction, or in bill collecting, depending on who you talked to.

Anyway...road race over, everyone at the host hotel getting ready for the banquet. Me, I decide to run the T home (I lived in Elgin at the time) and come back in modern iron. Elgin has but one real hill in it, something a T needs to do in low even with a rolling start. I finally hit the crest of the hill, let the pedal up, and SKIDDED the next 15 ft with the driveline locked up! Danged. It was really bad. I walked back to the host hotel seeking help to get it going or get it home. No dice, less than an hour to banquet and most had already changed.

Ken tossed me a set of keys, told me to take his truck and trailer...that would help if I could figure out how to get the T on his trailer. I get it all lined up, still no way to get it rolling. I was ready to go home, get some neighbors, come back and pull the plugs so that at least it might roll.

I was a bit afraid that if I left the T where it was either the T or the trailer would be gone! Just then an old pickup truck pulls up, 3 guys in the cab, 4 in the back, "Hey Mister, looks like you need help!" These guys were big...had arms the size of my thighs, and were roustabouts of some sort. I mentally dreamed my wallet emptying, my watch having a new owner, etc.

I nodded back and said somehow I'd get the T on the trailer. They all jumped out of the truck, circled the T, lifted it like a feather and set it gently on the trailer. Whew, maybe this would be worth the contents of my wallet.

They refused any payment, jumped back in the truck and the guy leaned out the window and said "tell Ken we took care of you good" and they drove off!

It no longer mattered to me how Ken made his money...lol. I was able with neighbors to get it into my garage, to get changed and to make it back to the banquet... I thanked Ken profusely for the help and had to ask him, "employees?" He replied "Nah, just some guys I know!"

I know I digressed here, but thanks a lot FJ!! One of your photo's reminded me of something 36 years ago and put a smile on my face.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By FreighTer Jim on Thursday, October 12, 2017 - 09:28 pm:

George,

You did not Digress.

You Elaborated with a really great story.

I sat awhile with Tedís wife & daughter - it was just a treat to visit.

The Rear View Mirror ....

We all need to check it from time to time to make sure the route we are taking is the right one.

FJ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Thursday, October 12, 2017 - 10:47 pm:

Thanks Jim! Neat seeing the Rose City Model T Club name tags. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Thursday, October 12, 2017 - 11:22 pm:

My wife Nancy and I and my younger son Anthony, then 10 years old, first met Ted and Carolyn at a national tour in Great Bend in the late eighties.

We helped Ted unload his new to him 1915 roadster pickup, and before we knew it, he and Anthony were off on a drive. Carolyn's comment was,"I haven't ridden in that car yet!" Anthony grew up reading Model T literature, and Ted autographed a copy of "Tinkerin' Tips 1" for him.

Ted knew how to keep a T rolling. I spent miles chasing a brown touring car during a national rally in Wangaratta, Victoria. My roadster buckboard with 3:1 gears went pretty well, but I could make little impression, until we came up with a rural mail contractor. I knew what was going on, but the tourer driver was just cautious enough that I got past. Ted was driving a borrowed car, similarly geared!

We swapped rides after morning tea, and I was chuffed with Ted's comment at lunch time that my little red buckboard "goes down the road".

I enjoyed writing tips from my experience with T's, and Ted graciously saw fit to include one or two in his compendia.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Thursday, October 12, 2017 - 11:53 pm:

Our friend Ted.....he was a great guy!

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Friday, October 13, 2017 - 05:48 am:

It's to bad Ted's Tinkering Tip's is not in print anymore. It is a wealth of information and would be extremely helpful to anyone new to T's. once in awhile they come up on Amazon and E-Bay.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter B. Ratledge on Friday, October 13, 2017 - 07:04 am:

I fist met Ted on the tour in Lincoln NH in June of 1996. We were staying at the ski lodge by the
Kancamagus high-way.I was dusting my 11 off after the days run. He came up behind me and said" That Brass is too shiny". We became very close friends after that. I have both Tinkering Tips Books. They are a wealth of knowledge. I will never forget him.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Rhoads on Friday, October 13, 2017 - 07:09 am:

One of my favorite memories of Ted...

He walked into the office of the local utility company and paid his electric bill. The lady behind the counter said, "Thanks, and have a nice day!"

Ted replied, "No, thanks. I have other plans."

That's Ted.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By FreighTer Jim on Friday, October 13, 2017 - 08:46 pm:

ď Tinkerin Tips ď Volume 2 might just be available thru the MTFCA Museum in a few days - I went back for a second visit with Miss Carolyn & Miss Bea and loaded up some boxes in my trailer ....

I could sit & listen to these two fine ladies tell stories all day long .... :-)

FJ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By FreighTer Jim on Saturday, October 14, 2017 - 05:00 am:

FJ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Saturday, October 14, 2017 - 12:46 pm:

I first met Ted at the MTFCA National Tour in Dearborn, MI in 1974. At that time, he was making a wrench for use on the exhaust pipe nut that goes on the back of the exhaust manifold. Those wrenches were flame cut from 1/2 " flat steel, and I wanted to buy one from him. He said he only had one with him, and that was the one he carried on his car. I bought it from him and still have it.

That wrench is quite heavy and can be used for a hammer if necessary! :-)

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Susan Yaeger on Monday, October 16, 2017 - 07:59 pm:

Thanks to Freighter Jim who hauled several boxes of Ted Aschman's "Tinkerin Tips Vol. 2" to the Model T Museum this weekend, you can now order copies of this book. Available for $15, the proceeds will benefit Mr. Aschman's widow as well as the MTFCA.
Order online or call the MTFCA offices at 765-373-3106.

Click here to order

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By FreighTer Jim on Monday, October 16, 2017 - 08:44 pm:

Thanks Susan !

A copy is waiting for those who want to order ..... :-)

FJ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Elliott on Monday, October 16, 2017 - 09:31 pm:

I like the rest of you people that meet Ted have a fond memory of him and the tours that we were on togeather. It was nice to see the Rose City pin and some of the tour water bags that was given out at some of the tours. He was always ready to have fun with a little joking around and at the same time could get very serous. You were Ted friend if he kidded around with you. I think ted and I was on the board of MTFC about the same time. Not very hard forget Ted

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Monday, October 16, 2017 - 09:40 pm:

Ted's Tinkerin Tips is a fun read, but it doesn't replace the Ford Service Book.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration