The weirdest thing my T has done

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: The weirdest thing my T has done
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cameron Whitaker, Oklahoma City on Friday, October 13, 2017 - 09:22 am:

I figured I'd share this one with y'all.

First off, I know my car has a spirit, or some sort of life force. She acts like she is alive.

For this story, it's important to note that my T has two electrical systems, and I'm running a set of my own electronic T coils. Lizzie doesn't have a magneto (but I have one to rebuild and will go back to stock coils in the future). One system is the stock 6 volt electrical system, hooked up to "MAG" on the switch. The other is simply a backup battery wired to "BAT" just in case something goes wrong. The main battery goes to a fuse before it hits the terminal block.

The other day, the misses and I went yard saleing in the T (a frequent thing for us to do on Saturdays) and all was well. Lizzie puttered along like normal. Suddenly, without warning, she just quit. Instinctively, I swapped the key over to the backup battery and she came right back to life. So there's a problem with the electrical system. I figured I'd take a look when we came to the next yard sale. I tried going back to the main battery a couple of times will driving, but to no avail. It was dead.

When we parked, I tried switching the key over back to the main battery just for kicks. Lo and behold, she was running this time! I knew something was up. I turned her off and got to work.

I figured that the problem was a dirty battery terminal, since she's had that problem before. I cleaned the terminal, but that didn't fix it. Neither the headlights or the horn worked still.

I came to find out that the fuse was blown. If that's the case, how in the world was she running when I switched the key back over to the main battery!? On top of that, how could she have blown a fuse? I wired the car myself and know that electrical system inside and out.

The only thing I can figure is that my coils were running off of the generator, but I know for a fact that my generator isn't up to snuff and can barely keep the battery charged at speed, let alone do anything at idle.

I just chalked it up to Lizzie being Lizzie. I replaced the fuse and all was well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Friday, October 13, 2017 - 12:20 pm:

If the fuse was between the terminal block and the battery, but the generator was still connected, you were running on generator and it would work as long as the engine was running fast enough to charge. There is a problem, however, because the T generator does not have a voltage regulator, so the voltage increases with the speed of the engine and you could also fry something in the system.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Doris, AZ on Friday, October 13, 2017 - 12:40 pm:

As per Norman regarding a blown fuse and voltage control.

Once while the engine was as fast idle, I accidentally blew the 25A fuse between the terminal block and the battery (yellow wire) and since I had the headlamps on, all of the bulbs were fried due to over voltage. :-(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andre Valkenaers on Friday, October 13, 2017 - 01:25 pm:

Cameron,
Your T is as mine, it is talking to you telling there is something wrong with the electric system. Maybe she don't like the electronic coils???
Look for a short in the wiring.
As Norman and Bob said before do not run the engine with the an open in the generator loop you will fry your generator.

Andre
Belgium

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vern (Vieux Carre) on Friday, October 13, 2017 - 01:39 pm:

Long shot. One time I witnessed a fuse blow twice. The first time the filament broke like a Christmas tree bulb but I didn't see anything wrong and put it back in. The second time it had cooled, reconnected, and then really blew, leaving burn marks and a gap.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Friday, October 13, 2017 - 02:35 pm:

Spooky. If the engine would continue to run off the generator as long as it kept running (which I very well understand)? Why did it quit while he was driving in the first place?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Claverie, Memphis TN on Friday, October 13, 2017 - 02:39 pm:

Vern, when a fuse blows by just opening a gap in the link, that's generally from an overload just a tad more than it can take, and it slowly melts. When it 'explodes' and leaves black residue on the glass, that's generally from a more sudden and more severe overload, like a short circuit.

Cameron, your original post screamed "switch contacts dirty" to me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Bishop, San Diego on Friday, October 13, 2017 - 03:22 pm:

Cameron,
I'm probably one of the least knowledgeable people on the forum (Norm can attest to that), so take this with a grain of salt!
I had a '26 that stopped running right in the middle of driving down the street. I got out to see what was wrong (like I would know, but people were watching!) without turning off the key, or putting the parking brake on.
I fiddled with the wires on the harness, including the one with the fuse. All of a sudden, the engine roared to life and the car took off down the street, leaving me standing there. Thank goodness for running boards. I managed to catch up, jump on the running board, and turn off the key just before the street turned, or it would have gone right thru the front of a house.
Turns out the fuse had blown (like Vern said), and when it cooled, the filament reconnected, and the engine started again. Did this over and over in the garage until I replaced the fuse. Really had to look to see where it was separated.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Friday, October 13, 2017 - 06:51 pm:

Eenie meanie, chilli beanie, the spirits are about to speak. Gee Bullwinkle, are they friendly spirits? Friendly, just listen! ;-)
Cameron, I'm with ya. So many machines do seem to take on a spirit/soul/or something. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Friday, October 13, 2017 - 09:45 pm:

'Ey Rocky, watch me pull a rabbit outa my hat!
But that trick NEVER works!
THIS time fer sure!
(Pulls out Rocky)
Well at least I getting close.

Now. Can you name the three other animals who's heads Bullwinkle also pulled out?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cameron Whitaker, Oklahoma City on Saturday, October 14, 2017 - 12:25 am:

Wayne, I totally agree with you, and it is spooky! Also, no, I don't remember who else Bullwinkle pulled out of the hat :-)

Vern, I think that you're right. It's not likely that the fuse wouldn't blow completely during an earlier incident (I've shorted out the electrical system before by accident, but didn't blow the fuse).

I don't think it's dirty contacts. I've completely rebuilt the ignition switch.

It was just a totally weird thing!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, October 14, 2017 - 01:04 am:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRW7pITY5Cg

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Saturday, October 14, 2017 - 02:19 am:

Steve J, THANK YOU for that! It has been more than 30 years since I have seen all of those. And I forgot about the bear! But they didn't show the one where Bullwinkle pulls out Rocky. Still, I truly enjoyed watching them again. Twice.
All part of my long time warped sense of humor. When I was but a kid, I liked the Jay Ward Rocky and Bullwinkle as well as the Bob Clampett Beany and Cecil. Both had their accompanying group of regular features. They had a similar twisted logic, and were ahead of their time in social commentary mixed into comedy. And lots of wordplay (puns).
Again, Thank You!

We now return you to our regular feature of Cameron Whitaker's model T's Halloween haunting tale.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vern (Vieux Carre) on Saturday, October 14, 2017 - 07:19 am:

If the problem really is a fuse, then there is also another problem.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Saturday, October 14, 2017 - 07:21 am:

Cameron, Check the wire from the switch to the coil box. If there's a loose connection you'll get that. Happened to me once and drove me crazy until I chanced to figure it out. By the way, I tried running my T on regular coils as the mag is rebuilt and just fine. But, I went back to your coils because I like the way the car runs on them.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration