Uh, lubrication

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Uh, lubrication
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Friday, October 13, 2017 - 09:41 am:

The above are pictures of the Pivot Blocks that hold the cross shaft (Clutch & Brake actuating device) the little square thing is a piece of felt that I dug out. Apparently these things are supposed to be lubricated at some time or another,even though their rotation is only about a third of a turn on complete travel of the emergency brake handle. These came off of Andy (25 touring) and the felt is as dry as a popcorn fart and as hard as granite. I really don't think these things have seen a drop of oil since the car left the factory. I had thought I paid attention when I was shown the lubrication points on a "T" but I didn't remember this one. I checked Sarajane (27 roadster/PU) hers were dry too I soaked the felt in bar & chain oil. Just a heads up for anyone else that didn't know the secret handshake to get this info. BTW you actually need to unbolt the cross shaft to lubricate these not easy but worthwhile IMO Wink Wink Nod wiggle ears elbow knee slap.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Friday, October 13, 2017 - 09:52 am:

You don't need to unbolt anything to lubricate these on my cars. There are holes in the frame that allow you to squirt oil on the felts. I am sure that they were not drilled in later years. They are however very hard to see, since years of dirt and rust usually hide them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Friday, October 13, 2017 - 10:36 am:

Was actually about to drill holes in the frame after having the cross shaft out for a clean & lube. Discovered the holes, blocked solid, while scraping the frame to center punch for the holes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Friday, October 13, 2017 - 10:49 am:

When restoring my cars, I always install new felt. The square felt pictured above is the early style, while the later T's use a small round piece of felt. Sometime in mid '21-'22 Ford dropped this lubrication point, and quickly realized they made an error, and re-introduced the holes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, October 13, 2017 - 11:22 am:

The lube charts include it at 500 miles, but don't show specifically how it's set up. So far I haven't found detailed references in the service manual or the owner's manual.

I've checked a 1924 TT frame and a July 8, 1926 Model T frame, and they both have the holes. The #3451 felt wick is listed in the May 1915 and December 1920 parts books, but I don't find it any later.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Friday, October 13, 2017 - 12:00 pm:

We don't mention this often enough.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/331880/377112.html?1374983789

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Sole - Barcelona area (Spain) on Friday, October 13, 2017 - 12:24 pm:

I discovered the lube holes through the frame when I removed the cross shaft while stripping the frame down to have it sand blasted and refinished.

I didn't know there should be felts in the cross shaft pivots. Will take care of that now. Thanks for the info guys!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, October 13, 2017 - 05:07 pm:

My January 1924 frame has the holes so that you can oil the felt squares.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Friday, October 13, 2017 - 06:17 pm:

I suspect that the felts were there to keep dust out of the holes. Since we aren't driving on dirt roads as much as they were back then, I doubt that the felt is necessary. I do try to remember to put a few drops of oil in there from time to time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Friday, October 13, 2017 - 06:49 pm:

I found the holes in the 27 but the 25 had them filled with bondo and painted over. made special note in my lubrication chart so I wont miss them again. Mike if the felt would hold the oil wouldn't it drain onto the cross shaft over a period of time rather than all at once?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Friday, October 13, 2017 - 07:58 pm:

I toss a drop or two of oil in em once a year. Figure that's enough.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nevada Bob Middleton on Saturday, October 14, 2017 - 04:07 pm:

Yes these are like oil wicks
Even the hand brake mount that are a simple round hole had a felt like sting the was a oiling wick
This usually omitted when cars are restored.
Oil ever 500 miles on lube chart
But once a year good in today world
For the felt use i use rear axle felt cut fit the hole or string on the ones with round hole.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration