Door Panel Fabric (Restoration)

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Door Panel Fabric (Restoration)
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Douglas Dachenbach on Friday, October 13, 2017 - 01:02 pm:

I have a 1924 Coupe and I would like to restore the door panels. Does anyone have a source for the cloth material for the doors?

What is suppose to be used on the panel under the seat that covers the gas tank? It is riveted to that metal panel.

Yesterday, I was in Amish territory in Holmes Co., Ohio. I stopped into Woodlyn Coach, LLC requesting card board material to back the fabric in my door panels. They pulled out some stock that they use on some carriages and on an occasional automobile. It is black faced card material that is 2mm thick and should be stable in moist situations, yet easily nailed to the frame. They referred to it as "Crowle Board". As sheet of it is 39" X 65"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Friday, October 13, 2017 - 03:26 pm:

The door panels on the T closed cars were usually the same type of material as the seat covers. Macs will send you a sample card of the type of material they supply for the interiors. They have the original type and also a replacement type.
Originally it was a brown or black/dark grey wool material that had a white stripe.

The material was applied to the cardboard and then carefully nailed to the door frame.

They might sell you just what you need instead of the whole kit.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Friday, October 13, 2017 - 06:56 pm:

Douglas:

My dad recently made a new set of leatherette door panels for his 1917 touring. He purchased cardstock/cardboard from Classtique for the backing.

It is black faced card material that is is designed to back upholstery material and it is supposed to be moisture resistant, just as you described.

We live in Minnesota so it was just matter of driving to Classtique to pick up the card stock.

Contact Mike at Classtique and he can give you more details:

https://www.classtiqueupholstery.com/index.php/classtique-upholstery/contact-us

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration