Glad I checked

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Glad I checked
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Friday, October 13, 2017 - 01:43 pm:

I decided to adjust my brake pedal so I put my key in my pocket and removed the cover. I gave the brake adjusting nut one and a half turns and the band doesn't appear to be dragging and feels better. I noticed the reverse pedal adjusting nut notch was not lined up with the peak on the washer. The nut was very loose. Loose enough to have possibly fallen off during use. That would make for a bad day, actually several bad days!
Someone suggested my brake pedal or the part on the hogs head is probably worn. Would that be the "brake and reverse pedal support" , Lang's part number 3436 ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, October 13, 2017 - 02:00 pm:

Yes, the Ford parts books call it a support but it's often called a cam. It's used for both the brake pedal and the reverse pedal. If the part of the pedal that rides on it is worn, you can build it up with welding and grind it smooth, but it's easier to just get a better pedal. The last one I bought at a swap meet was $5.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Friday, October 13, 2017 - 04:38 pm:

How much free play do you have in the pedals before the shaft starts to move sideways to push the ends of the band together? You should have one inch or less. The band should be tight when the pedal is about 1" to 1 1/2" above the floorboard. With no pressure on the pedals, the band should not drag on the drum. If you have to push quite a way down before the shafts to move sideways your cam and the edge of the pedal need to be addressed. Since the nut was so loose on the reverse, I don't think that cam is worn.
Norm

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration