Tire chains

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Tire chains
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Linus Tremaine on Friday, October 13, 2017 - 02:45 pm:

Hi all,
I dont have a model T but i have another old car that I like to use. I want to do a cross country type drive in it and I want to have tire chains for it. It has 700-20 tires. does anyone who actually drives old cars know about tire chains for this type of size? I am wondering if there is a modern option or if I need to find antique tire chains in the proper size.
ThankS

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Blake, Kansas City on Friday, October 13, 2017 - 03:11 pm:

Hi Linus

I'm pretty sure no one is making chains for those tires. 20 inch tires are being made for modern cars, but they are typically 2-3 times as wide as I suspect the tires you are referring to.

I can't recall ever seeing antique tire chains for sale, at a swap meet or otherwise. Most people, except the T snowmobile aficionados park their cars in the winter.

Mind if I ask what kind of car you are planning to use for your cross country adventure?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Linus Tremaine on Friday, October 13, 2017 - 03:21 pm:

its a 1930 lincoln. I am going to take it to wyoming back to where it used to work as a fleet vehicle on a ranch.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, October 13, 2017 - 05:28 pm:

If you're driving in real snow, this will work. I wouldn't try it with highway driving where you're mostly on pavement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKZIGCyp8u8

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger - Wyoming on Friday, October 13, 2017 - 05:38 pm:

I am curious, Linus. Where abouts in Wyoming?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Friday, October 13, 2017 - 05:54 pm:

Linus,

Hmmm... A camping trip, perhaps?

I modified a "modern" set of chains for mine. I had three singles. One donor was used to cut and add some length and cross pieces to the other two. I use black rubber straps to take up the tension.

If it is an open car, make sure you have a good set of side curtains.

: ^ )

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Friday, October 13, 2017 - 09:39 pm:

Hi Linus, which Lincoln are you taking? Or maybe I should ask how many you still have. I know that you were trying to sell one of them a few months back. Did it sell?
700X20 tires were used on medium weight trucks at least into the '60s. I would think tire chains may still be available for that size. Otherwise, it is not difficult to modify from modern standard type chains. I did that for a couple of my cars.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Friday, October 13, 2017 - 09:55 pm:

I've seen chains available for my T and might buy a set, but Im concerned about the chains damaging my wood wheels. If I buy a set I would want to use them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, October 14, 2017 - 12:17 am:

The chains in Keith's pictures don't appear to be touching any wood.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Saturday, October 14, 2017 - 07:10 am:

I figured something would go thru the wheel, between the spokes, to hold the chains. Guess not. There is a set, or maybe a partial set on Ebay now. Only seven pieces are shown. I would expect an even number. Eight ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Grady L Puryear on Saturday, October 14, 2017 - 09:12 am:

While we traveled the dirt roads of Texas and Louisiana, my Grandparents and my Dad always carried an old lariat rope when traveling. We seldom saw any snow, but mud was something you expected and lived with pretty much year around. Nothing fancy, we just looped them through the spokes, tying off the end was an adventure. These ropes lasted surprisingly well, and living on a Ranch, we always had a supply of old ones.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Linus Tremaine on Monday, October 16, 2017 - 03:03 pm:

Scott,
My car was owned by Charles Moore who started the CM ranch in Dubois. Its still in operation as a dude ranch. I thought it would be fun to bring the car back.

Wayne,
I did sell my sedan so I only have the 30 sport touring now, which is the one I want to take on this trip. It needs new pistons and an overdrive first, so I wont be going anytime soon!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Linus Tremaine on Wednesday, October 18, 2017 - 12:38 pm:

ill be pulling the gilkie trailer too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron in Central Massachusetts on Wednesday, October 18, 2017 - 01:05 pm:

Linus - that is one unspeakably beautiful car!!! I'm in awe.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron in Central Massachusetts on Wednesday, October 18, 2017 - 01:11 pm:

I agree with Grady - I'd use rope. Should coil up easily somewhere and is multi-purpose. I run chains on the back of my plow doodlebug and they take a toll on the rubber. I think the rope would be more forgiving and equally effective.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration