Period license plate

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Period license plate
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George John Drobnock on Friday, October 13, 2017 - 03:21 pm:

I tried to find this answer in a box of Cracker Jacks but to no avail...

You have a Model T that has proper engine number and documentation that states that it is a 1925. But for what ever reason it was not sold until the end of 1927. The title says it is a 1927.

After years of driving ...what the heck...it is now time to get a set of period license plates.

Question... what would be the proper year to put on the vehicle...1925 year of manufacture or 1927 the year sold and titled?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matthew Weaver on Friday, October 13, 2017 - 03:24 pm:

Well, depends on your state. In WV if it's titled as a 1927, you would have to have 1927 plates. If the original title is what you have then you may be stuck, however some states will let you file for an amended title to change information that may be incorrect. If your state is one, then you might be able to have them amend the title to correspond with the 1925 year of manufacture. - Matt

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Friday, October 13, 2017 - 03:28 pm:

For a model T enthusiast, it would obviously be a 1925 model.

For the Secretary of State, it is what the title says it is- a 1927 model.

You could fill out the paperwork to have the title year changed to 1925, but until you do, you would have to run the plate that was used in the year your car is titled.

(In Michigan, anyways, your state may vary....)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Friday, October 13, 2017 - 03:37 pm:

Depending on your state it may be well to let it alone as far as changing the title. Especially since its a antique car.
Since you have a clear title (assuming you do) the effort to try to get the date correct for the car and whats on the title could turn into a real hassle when you talk to the wrong person at the DMV.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dufault on Friday, October 13, 2017 - 05:47 pm:

Question... what would be the proper year to put on the vehicle...1925 year of manufacture....

Answer yes.

Problem unending hassle(s) with DMV.

Solution get title corrected to what the car really is, then go for the YOM plates - and that solution is not without hassle, either :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Friday, October 13, 2017 - 06:24 pm:

I have told the story before, that many years go, I saw a 1952 Oldsmobile. It was actually a 1922 that had sat in the original dealer's showroom for thirty years. When it was eventually sold, it was legally titled as a 1952. Now, that much of a stretch these days could lead to legal issues with safety equipment. But because the rules regarding antiques won't differ between '25 and '27, I would be tempted to put '27 plates on it. It should be a good conversation starter on tours with the antique car clubs!

Just my silly warped sense of humor.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Friday, October 13, 2017 - 06:32 pm:

George, it most likely is state dependent as previously stated. I for one am in a similar situation. My T is titled as a 1920 (engine number), but it is really a 1925. So it currently wears 1920 plates on it as that is how it is registered.

Way to much of a hassle IMO to get that straightened out--especially because when I registered the car, it had more forms than usual due to the fact I brought it from Canada back into the States.

I have changed the look of the vehicle quite a bit, so the thought I have now is to find a good proper engine number and re-register it, with the newest latest pictures to send to the insurance company. But again, it is like starting all over and quite a pain, so I'll probably just leave it as is.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George John Drobnock on Saturday, October 14, 2017 - 09:26 am:

To all thank you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Saturday, October 14, 2017 - 10:17 am:

In Florida I register my cars as Horseless Carriages which gets them a permanent plate. I keep that under the seat and throw period correct plates on the car so I use any year plate that is correct for the car regardless of what the registration says. Never had a problem.
Trying to correct a registration error is like pissing up a rope. It is not worth the effort. My Chalmers-Detroit is registered as an Allis Chalmers because Florida DMV doesn't have a computer entry for a Chalmers and if they don't have it in their computer it doesn't exist. Leave the registration as is and use 1925 plates.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Codman on Saturday, October 14, 2017 - 11:17 am:

Agreed on trying to straighten anything out with the RMV. My T registration and Title say "automatic transmission".
Jay Leno bought one of Chrysler's turbine cars (1963) directly from Chrysler a handful of years ago. I wonder what year the title says?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Mullin on Saturday, October 14, 2017 - 08:27 pm:

John, I always refer to the Model T (and earlier Fords) transmissions as "semi-automatic". You do the automatic part.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Sunday, October 15, 2017 - 10:49 am:

Val, I know the feeling. The Missouri title for my 1936 Austin Ten says that it is an Austin-Healey....

To paraphrase Lloyd Bentsen. "I had an Austin Healey once, and that is no Austin-Healey!" :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Sunday, October 15, 2017 - 12:49 pm:

It used to be that California registrations had "Year of Manufacture" and "Year First Sold" on them. the 1927 registration is part of the history of that car, a bit unique, so I wouldn't be in a hurry to change it (especially since it is usually such a pain to do!). If folks ask, that's an opportunity to tell the story. Decades ago I was restoring a RR that was made in 1927, but didn't get sold until 1929. During that time, it was returned to the factory and had some experimental stuff done to it, including a remoter reading oil level gauge added, and a change in color, which made it more sellable. So, is it a '27 or a '29??? BTW, the first owner was the owner of Warford Transmission Co.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Sunday, October 15, 2017 - 04:06 pm:

David D, A long-time close friend of mine has a Rolls Royce, similar early history. Car was built as an enclosed drive limousine in Springfield, sold. A year later, sent back to the factory and rebodied as an open car. Rolls Royce in Springfield then took the body, converted it to a sedan (removed the partitions) and completely refitted and reupholstered. The body was then offered, sold, and installed on a new chassis. So, is the car a '25, a '26, or a '27? And argument could be made for any of those years.
Beautiful car regardless.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration