Is there a video or instructions on how to repair brass lamps, replace chimneys, etc....

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Is there a video or instructions on how to repair brass lamps, replace chimneys, etc....
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Poane on Friday, October 13, 2017 - 07:26 pm:

Is there a video or instructions on how to repair brass lamps, replace chimneys, etc....

Thank you in advanced!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Friday, October 13, 2017 - 09:12 pm:

Robert, that's a great suggestion and one that many of us could use.
I'll bring it up at our next MTFCA Board meeting.

Thanks for suggesting it.

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John T. Tannehill III, Hot Coffee, MS on Friday, October 13, 2017 - 11:19 pm:

Robert many of the lamps are different but removing the chimney is fairly easy if you donít mind partially disassembling the lamp. You have to remove the reflector but to remove the reflector you have to remove the door and side panels. The chimney is held on by a lip that is tapped down on the inside of the body then soldered. So one you get the door and side panels off and remove the reflector, you anneal the brass lip. Then with a thin long screwdriver you slowly lift the lip until itís straight up all the way around, then you twist & pull the chimney up.
It may require a little more heat from a micro jet burner to melt any solder left around the lip. By the way Iíd advise you to use a welding glove to handle the chimney. Donít ask me how I know but for about a month I had an image of J&E TNETAP 8091 on the palm of my right hand. It did look pretty neat though once the throbbing stopped.

(Message edited by Jtt3 on October 13, 2017)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jem Bowkett, Spalding United Kingdom on Saturday, October 14, 2017 - 02:16 am:

I'd like to know how to put a new beveled glass in the side panel

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Simmering, Afton, TN on Saturday, October 14, 2017 - 08:58 am:

!n 1912 ,I wrote some instruction in how I did lamp repair. The thread was titled: "best way to remove and replace glass for E&J sidelamp"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, October 14, 2017 - 09:44 am:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/257047/314247.html?1349441590

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Shirley on Saturday, October 14, 2017 - 11:00 am:

I got this idea from John Tannehill, The Third, from Hot Coffee MS. Cut a ring from wood, anneal the top, JB weld an old mag screw, that is threaded all the way to the dented top and pry up. The ring makes it possible to pry in different directions and a lot of control. Using Quick Weld by JB, over a few day it has worked very well. The JB weld has broken with each pull, use a torch to burn the glue off the lamp and screw between applications, dust off the cap and screw with a brass wire brush and repeat as necessary. The old gunsmith vice is great holding the lamp for gluing. If you have questions, Bob 903 824 1949.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Simmering, Afton, TN on Saturday, October 14, 2017 - 05:14 pm:

Thanks Mark for bringing that thread up. Also since I wasn't around in 1912 .. I meant 2012.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthonie Boer --- Klaaswaal NL on Sunday, October 15, 2017 - 04:15 am:

Jem B ; Jem ; I had also a glass what was broken. I cut the two corners with a small saw and unsolder it then put in the new glass and solder it back.
0302M
0303M
0304M
Toon.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Poane on Sunday, October 15, 2017 - 01:19 pm:

Thank you, I'll give it a go!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Nikolajevs Dearborn, MI on Sunday, October 15, 2017 - 03:58 pm:

For the beveled glass I was afraid of messing up the outside appearance. I did mine from the backside. I used a Dremel cutoff wheel and cut the edge ,in a similar way as Anthonie did, where the hinge is and the bottom edge. I then carefully folded back the bottom and hinge side so that I could place the glass into the top channel and the unhinged side. Then I carefully bent the lower and hinged channels back.

Probably one of the scariest things I've done to my T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jem Bowkett, Spalding United Kingdom on Monday, October 16, 2017 - 02:16 am:

Thanks to Peter, Toon and Dave Simmering. I'm going to practice on a couple of scrap lamps before I tackle the good one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gary hammond-Forest, Va on Monday, October 16, 2017 - 05:43 am:

I found the nicest set of big Neverouts for my Curved Dash Olds. I was at a open air show driving back to my trailer to leave. One of my headlamp brackets broke off, and I ran over my left side Neverout. To say I almost had a heart attack is an understatement. Anyway after a few days of grieving I heated it up and softened it, pecked and reshaped it for about 3 hours. I progressively sanded it with finer and finer paper and finished with Blue Magic. I had to replace my other lens also, the glasses were no longer clear, they had a greyish cast to them. Anyway it's not perfect, but at least it's usable. Gary

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Poane on Monday, October 16, 2017 - 09:58 am:

Gary, you are showing a dented ring and a smooth ring. Are they different of the same one that you smoothed over and took the dents out? Beautiful!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gary hammond-Forest, Va on Tuesday, October 17, 2017 - 03:43 am:

Same part. A LOT of patience, lol. Thanks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Poane on Tuesday, October 17, 2017 - 09:25 pm:

That's awesome! Good job!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration