Hershey walkers' perspectives needed

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Hershey walkers' perspectives needed
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Saturday, October 14, 2017 - 12:07 pm:

Someone over on the AACA forum said that: A. the Red Field is becoming THE place to search for brass era parts, and B. the Chocolate Field North is becoming THE place for sellers of new stuff: waxes and polishes, tools, welding outfits, T shirts, etc. No comment about Chocolate South or the Green or Orange fields.

Since I am pretty much chained to my spaces while I'm there and can't get out much to see for myself, I'd like to get others' perceptions on that. About the only thing I can say is that it's true that there are quite a few T parts vendors in the Red Field South where I am, not all of them listed as T vendors in the program.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, October 14, 2017 - 12:22 pm:

I would roughly agree, based on the vendor maps that I generated based on the data in this thread:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/708324/784190.html?1506914021

That is why I started my searching on Wednesday morning in the Red field, then moved to the south Chocolate field.

On Thursday, I finished the south Chocolate field and the north Chocolate field, then started on the Orange field.

On Friday, I finished the Orange field and the Green field, then wandered around aimlessly in the Red and Chocolate fields to make sure I hadn't missed anything.

:-)

(Message edited by cudaman on October 14, 2017)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Saturday, October 14, 2017 - 02:19 pm:

I always start in the red field and work my way back to the orange field where my spaces are. Red field has the largest concentration of early stuff in my opinion but in the aggregate there is more early stuff in the rest of the fields so you really have to cover them all and that is a good 3 days of walking.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Bond on Saturday, October 14, 2017 - 03:54 pm:

Hershey is and has always been a treasure hunt. I collect early automobilia including brass lamps. Last year I found a great selection of brass in the Chocolate field. This year I found neat brass located very near me in the Green field, and spent time looking over a large selection in the Orange field. The Horseless Carriage club is in the Red field and a number of their members are set up nearby, thus it has earned the nickname "brass alley" but I delight in starting my search closer to home and not competing with everyone else who actually starts out over that direction. Everybody has their own technique for covering it. This year unfortunately I was a bit "hobbled" by my broken leg, but with a scooter and my walker I did just fine. When I was at my booth over in the Green field, my smaller than usual display this year contained some nice brass lamps, early auto clocks, and some other early brass era stuff. Should have a larger display next year.
Terry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Saturday, October 14, 2017 - 05:49 pm:

RV: Gold is where you find. Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter B. Ratledge on Saturday, October 14, 2017 - 08:49 pm:

RV, I always start where you are by the stadium in the red field and work my way forward. T parts were all around. I think the red field, Chocolate field south and orange south had the most T parts.
It was nice seeing you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Saturday, October 14, 2017 - 09:21 pm:

RV - Don't know about "brass era parts", but the south side of the stadium where you guys are situated seems to be a hot spot for T parts. Seems like it's starting to wrap around the stadium up to the North side as well.

I would agree that Chocolate North seems to have a lot of vendors with new stuff. Some of that bleeds over to Chocolate South where Coker Tire and Dennis Carpenter is.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, October 14, 2017 - 11:19 pm:

I don't know where T stuff is concentrated, if it is. That's irrelevant to me because I've found good deals in all fields, so I just have to cover the whole thing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Sunday, October 15, 2017 - 10:08 am:

I don't know if I could handle all that walking.But I would like to go some day.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bruce Compton on Sunday, October 15, 2017 - 12:54 pm:

I was fortunate enough to buy three cart loads of T stuff from a first-time vendor in the Orange field the had absolutely NO "T" stuff on display in the front of his spot. Stacked in piles under his side and back tables was a different story though. Bottom line is that the parts are where you find them and there is no such thing as a better or worse field at Hershey. Steve Jelf has it right....walk the whole thing. After having said that however I do see a trend that has a lot of "T" guys starting in the red field and not getting to my spot in the farthest corner of the green field till Friday afternoon, when all the good stuff is gone. Hershey is still spectacular and you really never know when and where you will find that "treasure". The ultimate best part I found in the five days was an excellent '26-'27 transmission in my neighbour's spot next door. Cheers : Bruce

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Poane on Sunday, October 15, 2017 - 01:11 pm:

R.V., I always map out the T guys on the forum and this year I found exactly what Mark Strange said.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Monday, October 16, 2017 - 11:23 am:

Thanks for the comments. I was just curious as to whether others felt the same way as that AACA fella did, since I can't get out much. Robert, before I had my spaces, for years my first move after arriving at Hershey was always to get a cup of coffee from the vendor that used to be where the food court is now, then sit at his picnic table and drink it while I mapped out the program.

Even back then, it was frustrating to walk a distance to see a guy listed as "Ford Model T" and find only empty spaces with modern vehicles pared on them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charles F. Bass on Wednesday, October 18, 2017 - 05:15 pm:

It is nice to know that there are others suffering from Hershey hangover like me.. I have been was set up in Chocolate North near the overpass for about 10 years and have been increasingly concerned with the use of vendor spaces to park cars, the advancing age of the crowd, and related proliferation of scooter bugs. On the positive side Hershey remains one of the last bastions of pre-war cars and parts despite fierce competition from the internet.. At the very north end of Red, I found a perfect set of original rear fenders for my 13 touring for $150 making the whole week worthwhile.

And by the way, I was 30 years old when I first started going in the early 80s so Im becoming part of the problem!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration