First drive, finally

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: First drive, finally
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Saturday, October 14, 2017 - 05:42 pm:

I drove our T for the first time today, finally. There is a steep down hill and uphill between my house and the main road. The first and second trip out, and back in went well. On about the third trip the car didn't have enough power to climb the hill back up to the house. After three attempts and failures, we stopped at the bottom to check things over. I found that one nut had fallen off of the timer and the other three were loose. we were running on three cylinders. After reattaching the wire it climbs the hill well. On the last trip of the day I hesitated when switching from battery to magneto , causing it to backfire and blow up the muffler. The muffler is a take-apart design so I can get another piece of 5" pipe and rebuild it. What I had looked like stove pipe. What else is available in 5" pipe that would work well?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Saturday, October 14, 2017 - 05:58 pm:

Congrats on your first drive! I'm at that stage too: a lot of drive, adjust, drive, adjust, drive, order parts, and so on...

Somebody said here not too long ago that diesel truck shops often have 5" seamless haunt pipe. Just try blowing that up!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vern (Vieux Carre) on Saturday, October 14, 2017 - 07:35 pm:

Way to go Tommy!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Saturday, October 14, 2017 - 09:28 pm:

Sometimes you can bend the pipe back into shape and re attach the end plates. I like to put a few spot welds between the pipe and the end plates. That one bolt at the end is not quite adequate to hold things together especially if you backfire. I always make the switch from battery to magneto when the engine is idling. If I forget and start driving it, I put it into neutral and push up the gas then quickly turn the switch and let out the clutch and give it some gas.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Saturday, October 14, 2017 - 11:11 pm:

Despite the minor troubles (blowout hehehe!)
It's good to know you're driving that T!
Shoot, I'm gonna give ya both barrels; at least NOW you can HEAR the engine pick them off as it runs on 3 OR 4 cylinders! :-)
Good for you and I hope it felt great!

I'm a hill climber too and there are always "trust issues" with a new to us T, eh?
20 years ago I had my elderly aunt in the "brand new" Crappy T and we was headed for the hill, I says to her "something don't sound right in the rear end".
Doggone it. You folks here have me remembering things I've long since forgotten, again. :-)
I took the large drum rear axle out and slapped together a small drum axle that has seemed safer.
Still using it but have lined brake shoes, just in case. Didn't back then.

OR
First drives are just for working the bugs out. Yes?
This OK to post Tommy?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Sunday, October 15, 2017 - 05:24 am:

We have owned our T one year today. Drove it for the first time yesterday. We would have driven it to 9AM services at church this morning had the muffler problem not happened. I WILL fix the muffler tomorrow. We will have family visiting our home this Saturday to celebrate our youngest grandson's first birthday. Rides in the T will be part of the celebration. I (Papa) need some practice driving it this week. I would like to be able to look like I have driven a T before!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Sunday, October 15, 2017 - 07:43 am:

Tommy ... fantastic news! You are taking one step at a time and this was a big one. As far as the muffler ... I've had this happen twice in 40 years ... the last time a month ago. :-) The outer shell can be pounded back in shape to reform the seam. A hammer and hard flat surface is all you need. This is me fixing one on the side of the road a few years ago.

Muffler

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Sunday, October 15, 2017 - 07:48 am:

Tommy,

Congratulations! It is always special to get the car driving again. From your postings this also sounds like you maybe learning to drive a Model T for the first time? If so there are several areas that are significantly different in a Model T than in a more modern car.

You have probably read several of the posting about how if the front axle spring perches are installed incorrectly it will cause the car to have a negative caster. And if it does have negative caster, how difficult it is to keep the car going straight when moving forward. And even how the steering wheel can be pulled out of your hand and the front wheels will go full left or full right and can in some cases can cause an accident and in all cases will scare the occupants. Good news, your T probably has the front axle set up correctly, because you didn't say anything about a wild ride etc.

But when you back up a Model T with a properly configured front axle, guess what -- the front wheels have negative caster when going backwards. And you face the same issue that the wheels want to go full left or full right. If you want to demo that safely, pick a wide open (nothing you can hit) level ground area. Don't put your hand on the steering wheel.
Back up very very slowly and release the pressure to the reverse pedal as soon as you see the steering wheel start to turn. Repeat it again and maybe a few more times. And you will see that the steering will go full over in one directions or the other. It is easy to hold the steering wheel when backing up slowly, so that doesn't happen. But if you back up quickly it happens a lot faster. And depending on how fast you back up, it can literally pull the steering wheel out of your hand and go full over in what appears to be an instant. In your case if you happen to stall the T on your inclined driveway be sure you keep the rolling backwards to a slow walk and keep a good grip on the steering wheel. And if you happen to let someone else drive your T -- I would recommend start on a flat area and after they are comfortable with the different pedals and high gear lever, then work on the hills/driveway.

Do you have a gas water heater or some other ignition source in the garage the T is parked? T's will leak gas. In theory when everything is set up correctly and I remember to turn the gas shut off valve off my T and A will not leak gas.
But historically I forget to do that every now and then. And when I open the door to the garage I can tell the gas is dripping somewhere. There has been at lease one insurance claim where the T leaked gas, the dishwasher was started, the gas water heater turned on during the dishwasher cycle, and the house and T were lost. Good news the occupants got out OK.

For a more complete list of other safety related items to check please see the posting at: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/599638/696360.html and scroll down to the entry By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Saturday, November 26, 2016 - 09:20 pm:

Have fun taking folks for a ride. And have someone with a camera of cell phone to take photos -- especially of any of your younger passengers.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Sunday, October 15, 2017 - 08:08 am:

Congrats! They are alot of fun. Glad to hear you are driving it and enjoying it with others. I drove my TT for the 1st time last week. What a hoot. No cab and bed strapped down but I coulnt wait any more.
Drive safe and often.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Sunday, October 15, 2017 - 08:26 am:

Happy ownership anniversary Tommy. Glad that elusive first ride finally happened :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Horlick in Penn Valley, CA on Sunday, October 15, 2017 - 08:40 am:

When I got tired if fixing my exploded muffler I brazed the seam. No more problem, even when it makes that delightful sound!

TH

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Sunday, October 15, 2017 - 11:14 am:

Yes, my blown up muffler is back together ... but I'd like my T to be a lot quieter. Have the exhaust pipe just friction fitted to the end of the muffler because that's what was described as authentic. Tempted to clamp it down tight or wrap the seam.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Sunday, October 15, 2017 - 10:59 pm:

I drove it alone for the first trip, about a mile from home, and back, with a friend following me in his truck. The second trip, my wife rode with me. Third trip my friend that owns and drives a couple of Ts drove and I rode shotgun. He was impressed with how well it ran and drove. It should run and drive like new. The engine, trans, and rearend have all been rebuilt. The king bolts, spring shackles, wheel bearings, and tires are new.
I am going to hunt something to fix the muffler with tomorrow.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Monday, October 16, 2017 - 02:14 pm:

I went to the local muffler shop and had them tack weld my muffler back together using a piece of 5" regular exhaust pipe.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Tuesday, October 17, 2017 - 12:43 am:

Alex, Model T Mufflers for 500:.....What is; Bulletproof?....That's correct. :-)
Hubba hubba Tommy!
:-)
Hey Thom, how da ya like that model T now?
Blinking happy for you!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Tuesday, October 17, 2017 - 09:00 am:

Duey, at one point I was thinking seriously about selling it. It could still be bought but it would be an "I don't want to sell it" price. We are enjoying it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Tuesday, October 17, 2017 - 10:49 pm:

Yessss!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration