Horn overheating. Why?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Horn overheating. Why?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Dunlap - Orlando, Florida on Saturday, October 14, 2017 - 08:30 pm:

I have an ahooga horn. I works marvelously for a while (maybe the first 10-20 times during my rides), then it starts croaking. It won't work the rest of the ride. The next time I take the Coupe out for a spin, the horn works wonderfully for a while, then starts croaking and then stops altogether. I suspect the horn motor is overheating.

Any thoughts on what is happening and what might cure it?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Saturday, October 14, 2017 - 08:33 pm:

A couple drops of oil on bearings may help.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cameron Whitaker, Oklahoma City on Saturday, October 14, 2017 - 09:16 pm:

I have a Klaxon 8C on my '24 Touring that I've completely rebuilt and rewound. I have noticed that it is very sensitive to voltage, especially if you're running a 6 volt system. You need to make sure you have a good electrical system and that your battery is charged!

Honk it several times, draining the battery, and it will start to croak instead.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Saturday, October 14, 2017 - 10:02 pm:

Hi Eric,

I concur with Dallas that a few drops of oil on the bearing may help.

Cameron is correct about the need for full voltage to this type of horn. I have a motor driven horn and have found that when I have the headlamps on the horn will not be as loud as it is when the lights are off. Do check all of the electrical connections.

Don't have the "striker" adjusted too tightly, too closely as it can overwork the horn's motor and draw too much current.

I have found that an occasional cleaning of the horn's commutator is beneficial. Good luck with your project, Bill.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, October 15, 2017 - 06:57 pm:

Dirty armature, try cleaning it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Hoshield; Oak Park MI on Tuesday, October 17, 2017 - 08:13 pm:

Sounds like you're running a water pump on it. ;-) man... I gotta got me an electric horn, one of these days!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Borland. Bathurst. NSW. Australia. on Wednesday, October 18, 2017 - 07:43 pm:

Too much use?
LOL !!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Dunlap - Orlando, Florida on Wednesday, October 18, 2017 - 10:30 pm:

Ha . . . Funny you say that, Peter.

Before venturing onto the forum in search of seasoned and well-informed advice, I sought advice from my son who is far smarter than I am about electrical things. His advice: honk less.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration