Looking for Ruckstell in TEXAS

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Looking for Ruckstell in TEXAS
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By danny castle on Saturday, October 14, 2017 - 09:37 pm:

Searching for a Ruckstell Axle set up for my 25 Roadster....Needing it for Hill Climbing in Colorado....Ready to buy - trying to find one within a days drive of Austin Tx. Thannks for any Leads / info

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Sunday, October 15, 2017 - 01:14 am:

Danny, Unless a member of a Texas T club has one to offer, consider contacting Ross Lilliker of Lilliker Restorations in College Station. He rebuilt a Ruxstell for me one time and he may have one or have a lead. I've got one, but its a 26-27 large drum and going under my 27 coupe.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Sunday, October 15, 2017 - 09:09 am:

Shouldn't this be in the classified?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By danny castle on Sunday, October 15, 2017 - 09:33 am:

Ross L. did my Engine / Trans / rear axle already ...lol...I have warford in it now ... But am going over some pretty steep trails ect... In the San Juan Mountains [ Silverton } Colorado... I need all the gear I can Get ! holding the low pedal mile after mile is what im trying to avoid....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By danny castle on Sunday, October 15, 2017 - 09:53 am:

Ross...doesnt have any right now... sorry about putting this in wrong place Larry Smith...im newbie to Board & model T's
*** got another idea...going to ask a tech question in new thread

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger - Wyoming on Sunday, October 15, 2017 - 10:08 am:

Danny

I know your area...not like you do for sure, but have driven a number of jeep trails out of Animas Forks. I am wondering if you would not be well served by putting in 4:1 ring/pinion in your standard rearend and use warford low. I can't imagine using low Ford pedal for a very long time with that gear ratio. In practical terms, you would not lose that much high end speed. The reason is that high Warford is geared high, but the engine doesn't develop the torque to put it to best use. Often times when folks change gearing they go through a calculation to see what their top end speed loss is, and it often turns out to be very little loss of speed, since the engine couldn't push it enough with the taller gearing in the first place. Does that make sense to you?

And welcome to the forum! Best of luck and be careful.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By danny castle on Sunday, October 15, 2017 - 10:53 am:

thanks Scott.... i never even use Warford third gear... way to fast, and at the altitudes in silverton the Engine wont pull it anyhows.. One problem im experiencing is after being on the low pedal on steep inclines after a while it starts acting like its sticking/ gets noisy and kills engine.....seems to be worse after building up heat on long climbs-- the theory im getting at is it wouldnt matter if i had a 6-1 rear ratio-- third gear Warford would still get me down the highway as fast as i care to go..... so chase after a Ruckstell or go with a 9 tooth pinion is now the decision to make...of course a 9 tooth is much $$ easier to swallow after doing Engine/trans/axle/warford- i already own the worlds most expensive Dusty,dented,muddy, model T...lol, but it fits right in up in Silverton

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, October 15, 2017 - 11:14 am:

A 9 tooth is, except for time, going to cost a lot less then a good Ruckstell. Unless you know the builder you might still have time involved in tearing down to inspect. They can get expensive real fast if parts are needed.
The Warford and Ruckstell both can give you a gear in between Ford low and high you should sit down and figure out if there is much difference between the too, before you take the plunged.
The real question here is which Warford do you have? There is more then one Warford. There are the two speeds, direct/under or direct/over and the 3 speeds; under/direct/over or is it the modern one?
Next question would be, do you have outside brakes? If you do not that needs to be figured into the cost. My OP and others; no T with added on transmission should be driven without extra outside brakes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house . . .caldwell county, TX on Sunday, October 15, 2017 - 02:10 pm:

He has a KC Warford..

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration