Did Victor make a model 2 tail lamp?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Did Victor make a model 2 tail lamp?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John T. Tannehill III, Hot Coffee, MS on Saturday, October 14, 2017 - 11:42 pm:

There are distinct difference between the Jon Brown lamp and Victor model 2 lamp some of those are the tiers on the Victor are smaller including the brass cap, the font which is also smaller where the burner and flame guard mount and last but not least the panels including the door are smaller. That being said I saw my first Victor model 2 Ford script tail lamp today. I looked it up in Bruce’s book but there is no mention of a Victor tail lamp. Does anyone have any information on this conundrum ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Phil Mino, near Porterville on Sunday, October 15, 2017 - 02:05 am:

I think Bruce simply didn't include a photo in the book. Victor 2 taillight seems to be nothing more than a sidelight with a different door, one having a round opening for a red lens.

vic 2 tail -1

vic 2 tail -2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kim Dobbins on Sunday, October 15, 2017 - 12:37 pm:

Here are 2 more, so I think there are 3 different tail lights.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house . . .caldwell county, TX on Sunday, October 15, 2017 - 02:02 pm:

Kim, the pic of the taillamp with the 4 "tabs" retaining the embossed Ford script brass Top is the very rare Victor #1 taillamp. Its very different than the Victor #1 cowl lamps. However the cowl lamps also have script embossed on the chimney top but not fastened with tabs. I understand these kerosene lamps were used on the very early 1913 Fords and their matching headlamps had a steel bonnet

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kim Dobbins on Sunday, October 15, 2017 - 02:55 pm:

Hi George, that little victor tail light with the tabs is my favorite. I have the sidelights that match the 3 tier taillight I pictured. All 3 have the raised script. So I figure there are 3 different victor tail lights used in 1913. Kim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Monday, October 16, 2017 - 11:00 am:

My '13 touring originally had Victor #1 lamps on it. I can't stand the headlights, even if I was to brass plate the bonnet, so I switched to Jno. Browns, which are way more common and look nicer too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, October 16, 2017 - 11:07 am:

I have seen one of the Victor #1 tail lights, they are neat looking, maybe because they were so different then the T norm.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ivan on Monday, October 16, 2017 - 09:04 pm:

I have a tail lamp just like the No.1, but it has a steel top and no visible markings [ it has been a bit battered]. did Victor make similar lamps for other car makes ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Monday, October 16, 2017 - 09:43 pm:

I have the Victor #1 taillight pictured in Bruces book. It came on my car when I bought it in 1961.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Parker on Monday, October 16, 2017 - 11:15 pm:

Ivan,

It seems that Thomas Corcoran (and brothers), who owned Victor, used what we know as the Victor Model #1's to make a quick entry into a piece of the Ford lamp business in 1913.

Victor was already making the tail light you have and all that was needed was a "Ford" cap for it.

Victor made other gas lamps with steel bonnets so again, all he needed was the Ford logo in the bonnet. Victor continued to make gas lamps with the steel bonnets for years after they supplied Ford the Victor Model 1 headlamp.

Only a guess on my part, but I would imagine Ford pressed Mr. Corcoran to come up with his Victor Model 2's to be more in line with the "look" of the E & J and John Brown lines all around the car.

The building is gone now but this is 1249 Plum Street in Cincinnati, Ohio, where the old Victor Lamp Company plant was located.

Ken in Texas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kim Dobbins on Tuesday, October 17, 2017 - 12:22 am:

Ken, thanks for the great info. I think you are correct that the model 1 tail light was already being made with a steel and a plain brass top. Over the years I've seen both and also wondered why Ford was using such a different looking lamp. Even my wife likes them, she put one on the wall in our living room!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kim Dobbins on Tuesday, October 17, 2017 - 12:25 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Tuesday, October 17, 2017 - 10:47 am:

I know Kim knows this, but have you ever noted that the Victor #2 and Corcoran lamps for 1914 have the same identical script?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house . . .caldwell county, TX on Wednesday, October 18, 2017 - 01:15 pm:

In fact, I have a set of three Victor #1 cowl and tail lamps for sale. The cowl lamps have what looks like cast iron mounting brackets and nice original paint. The tail lamp, as above, has been restored. Only $950

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration