Rubber stem tubes..current availability problems ???

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Rubber stem tubes..current availability problems ???
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Sunday, October 15, 2017 - 06:19 pm:

Seems that the wire wheel rim is not drilled big enough for the current production rubber stem tube stems.

For those who have encountered this, how did you resolve ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Sunday, October 15, 2017 - 06:21 pm:

Should have added that tubes were manufactured in China.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carnegie Spokane, WA on Sunday, October 15, 2017 - 06:29 pm:

I think the first thing to do is to call Lucas and Coker and complain. I called and both insisted that there was no problem. They had sold 1000's of tubes with NO complaints. I explained that things had changed. Their old tube's stem (which I had a sample of) was about 9/16", small enough to force into a 1/2" hole. Their new tubes are close to 5/8". Simple too large to fit into a T wire wheel, even when lubricated. The guy from Lucas insisted that all TR135 (I think that is the number) stems are the same size and always have been. They are not. The old tubes had the same number on the stems as the new tubes, yet are smaller.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Sunday, October 15, 2017 - 07:30 pm:

Hey Tom:

I may use a 5/8ths drill and call it done. Too late to complain

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Dorholt - Mpls, MN on Sunday, October 15, 2017 - 07:58 pm:

I had the same problem trying to get one in a wood fellow wheel, I tried one I had gotten from another vendor that was not made in China and it went through the hole.
I wasn't about to drill the fellow larger.
Coker has no interest in the antique car hobby their only interest is making money so the owner can have his playboy lifestyle.
Now ask me how I really feel about Coker.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carnegie Spokane, WA on Sunday, October 15, 2017 - 08:19 pm:

Hogging out the hole would surely work, but I could never do it. I just couldn't. I'd try to file down the stems first.

Even if I used the tubes, I'd still complain. These guys need to hear that there is a problem and they need to hear it often. If they hear it enough, something may be done about it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Sunday, October 15, 2017 - 09:03 pm:

Install metal stems if you don't want to ruin your wheels ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nevada Bob Middleton on Sunday, October 15, 2017 - 09:24 pm:

Get thev20 tubes from summit no issues tight but work
Thats for 21" tubes and they are nic heavy tube at half the price.
Wood fellow i just redrilled the hole
Other clintcher tires had not had an issue

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Kiefer - Adams, MN on Sunday, October 15, 2017 - 09:38 pm:

I take a razer blade and gently trim them down.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Sunday, October 15, 2017 - 09:38 pm:

Tubes & tires came from Universal Tire.... call their store phone line and identifies as " Corky Coker" .... will call Monday morning,

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Monday, October 16, 2017 - 10:55 am:

I've mentioned the size problem to all the vendors at swap meets etc. They are courteous to me when I tell them of their problem, and promptly forget the minute I walk away. I have saved an original Schrader stem with the NUMBER on it from the days when a rubber stem would fit through a wood felloe. The bottom line is they are not interested in correcting the problem. This is why I now use original old time brass stems in my early cars, and when the time comes, I will put brass stems in my 1925 as well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Tuesday, October 17, 2017 - 08:45 pm:

Update....

Called Universal Tires the morn, caved in and ordered nickle stem tubes and associated mounting metal hardware.

They are accepting the rubber stem tubes giving a refund.

Upon thoughts of forum responders, I decided not to drill the wire wheels or shave the rubber valve stems.

Also called Coker Tires, spoke to Corky's son who answers "problem" calls. He said he hasn't had any fitment problems with the A-21 bias tubes and insisted they would fit the original Model T wire wheel valve opening. I responded it was like shoving 5 pounds of """" in a 1 pound container.....ain't gonna happen !!!!

Shipment of new tubes and hardware scheduled for tomorrow at "end of day".

I appreciate Forum members sharing their "rubber" stem tube experiences and addressing the elephant in the room that the 5/8ts wide stem will not fit the Model T rim/wheel opening...... and especially the suppliers non-action to resolve fitment problems.

One could surmise we are relegated to the higher price metal stem tubes and associated hardware.

My objective was to replace exactly what I had... standard size 4.40-4.50 x 21 tires with rubber stem tubes.

Also found that there is not a source of AMERICAN made tubes. Were stuck with "made in China" tubes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, October 17, 2017 - 09:30 pm:

At Chickasha and other meets I've stocked up on original metal valve stems and covers. You know that Mister Thrifty is pretty tight with a dollar and usually buys cheap. At Hershey recently I bought some new rubber stem tubes, much cheaper than new metal stem tubes. Maybe you can guess what I'm going to do with them.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/599638/640373.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carnegie Spokane, WA on Wednesday, October 18, 2017 - 02:25 am:

A while back I called Coker's and complained about the stems. He also told me that they had had no fitment problems. There used to be dozens of tube manufacturers. Surely there must still be one able to make the tubes properly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Wednesday, October 18, 2017 - 02:48 am:

Maybe the clubs need to contact the manufacturers to make them officially aware of the problem--it really does exist!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Wednesday, October 18, 2017 - 09:43 am:

Since Coker is making new wood wheels, if made like the originals, they should be able to test their tubes in their own wheels! The problem is fitting the rubber stems in WOOD FELLOE wheels, not the later demountable or wire wheels. If you want authentic metal valve stems, you must buy original used valve stems. The current vulcanized brass stems are too large, and are not made the way they did it in the old days.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carnegie Spokane, WA on Wednesday, October 18, 2017 - 12:39 pm:

Larry, the new tubes do not fit into T wire wheels. T wire wheels have a 1/2" hole and the TR135 stems are 5/8". The tubes will fit into A wire wheels, which have a larger hole.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Beatty _Kansas City on Wednesday, October 18, 2017 - 01:39 pm:

I recently bought some 21" tubes from both Lucas and Lang's for my wire wheels. Neither had valve stems that would fit.

Since then I've found a bunch of Schrader 777 metal stems and I need to do the swap.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, October 18, 2017 - 02:05 pm:

Current vulcanized brass stem, wood felloe wheel, dust optional.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Wednesday, October 18, 2017 - 02:45 pm:

Package from Universal Tire arrived with new metal stem tubes and hardware. May have to wait till weekend to install.

Also received survey in e-mail.....

Bob J.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Wednesday, October 18, 2017 - 08:46 pm:

Tom, you're correct... the TR-135 rubber stems were half-inch round..... back in the day.

The new math has them at 5/8" round.

Go figure ???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Thursday, October 19, 2017 - 10:30 am:

Unfortunately, the photo Steve posted above is the current available tire valve, but it is NOT correct, nor is the rim nut. His dust cover is an old stock original however. If we could only get Snyder, or some other company to reproduce the correct tire valves as A&L has done for the Model A's, it would be a blessing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Thursday, October 19, 2017 - 10:28 pm:

Rubber tube stems on the car now

desktop

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Thursday, October 19, 2017 - 10:30 pm:

New rubber stems may be 1/2" at the cap, but increase in diameter ( 5/8" ) towards tube.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Friday, October 20, 2017 - 11:34 am:

With a tire company as large as Coker, you would think they would like to please us collectors, but apparently not.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration