Vintage Model T Spark Plug Manufacturers with Numbers

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Vintage Model T Spark Plug Manufacturers with Numbers
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charles Weisgerber- Vancouver WA. on Sunday, October 15, 2017 - 11:50 pm:

I was hoping to compile a list containing some of the more common plugs that can be found at swap meets or on line that are OK to run in a stock Model T engine.

Currently I'm running NOS Champion X plugs now and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future, but with that being said, I thought it would be fun to make up some other sets of plugs that were marketed for the T back in the day. Right now I'm interested in the make and number(if any) of take-apart plugs. Any help would be much appreciated.

Charles

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, October 16, 2017 - 02:55 am:

I don't know how many there are, but the number is large. There are famous names like Edison, AC, and Firestone, and a lot that most people have never heard of like Trojan, Bethlehem, Alcor, Horseshoe, Blue Crown, etc., etc. Some are usable, and some not. The Splitdorf green plugs look neat but are usually no good.

I'm not a serious spark plug collector. For me they're just an interesting little aspect of the larger Model T world. You can spend real money on some plugs, but for me $5 is a high price. I've spent $2 or $3 for most of mine.

(Message edited by steve_jelf_parkerfield_ks on October 16, 2017)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Monday, October 16, 2017 - 03:18 am:

Just a quick look at some period literature gives me a few brand names but no numbers.
Ads for,

Lodge, that has a Ford logo on them.
Goliaths, for Fords and Fordsons.
AC Sphinx.
Heath plugs for Fords.
The new K.L.G Ford Model.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Lake Oswego, OR on Monday, October 16, 2017 - 11:36 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Lake Oswego, OR on Monday, October 16, 2017 - 11:43 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charles Weisgerber- Vancouver WA. on Monday, October 16, 2017 - 01:29 pm:

Thanks Steve ,Frank and Eric. Anybody else have something?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Monday, October 16, 2017 - 01:55 pm:

Edison 13s and 14s both have the 1/2 inch pipe thread that fits a Model T.

The 13s have a slightly larger shell than the 14s and dual ground electrodes.

The 14s have a single ground electrode and run quite well in a T (well, in my T anyway). :-)

pic1

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Monday, October 16, 2017 - 02:02 pm:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/599638/692082.html?1478948705

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James L. Bodkin - Jim on Monday, October 16, 2017 - 03:03 pm:

I have a set of NOS Reflex plugs #47. They are not the Reflex Ford plug ad that Eric posted, but compared to a Champion X, they look very similar. I will try them in my T when I need to change plugs.

Jim
Reflex #47

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Monday, October 16, 2017 - 04:57 pm:

How about Tiger plugs?
I have 1 plain Tiger and 2 Tiger TX's in my TT.
They work OK.

plugs

plugs

:-)

Repro X's in the 18 and Champion 25's in the 24.
Those 25's have been good plugs!

(Message edited by Duey_C on October 16, 2017)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charles Weisgerber- Vancouver WA. on Monday, October 16, 2017 - 09:21 pm:

Thanks Mark,James and Duey! This is a great start.

Charles

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Monday, October 16, 2017 - 09:51 pm:

Charles

Believe perhaps there were as many spark plug brands as timers for the T!

Here are some from my small collection.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Bond on Monday, October 16, 2017 - 10:23 pm:

Ah, another plug thread! Been collecting for a long time and just can't resist the opportunity to post some photos form my collection. I've acquired quite a few Ford plugs over the years. The 1/2inch pipe thread was very common in the teens and twenties as hundreds of different car manufacturers used that thread size. It's the ones specifically marked FORD on them that are interesting to me. Found a good one at Hershey this year. Dig out your Ford plugs and post some more pictures.
Terry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Lake Oswego, OR on Monday, October 16, 2017 - 11:03 pm:

I have run many different period plugs in my T and they all worked. So far my very unscientific feeling is the best performing (stock T ignition system) have been the various versions of the Ford Champion X plugs, the polonium Firestone pink plugs, and the Edison plugs mentioned above which I am currently running.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Tuesday, October 17, 2017 - 06:44 am:

35 years ago or more I lucked into several boxes of NOS Firestone Polonium plugs.They ran flawlessly in several of my creations. And probably still are,wherever they are.They didn't seem to foul when others would.
I liked them so well,I used other old used plugs for fear of running out of them.
That's farm boy logic.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Bond on Tuesday, October 17, 2017 - 08:50 am:

From this photo is a new acquisition - APCO Ford Special. APCO was a manufacturer of a lot of Ford Model T aftermarket accessory items. The Champion priming plug was also popular in Ford Ts as they could help with a cold morning start but dropping a little gas directly into the cylinder.
Terry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charles Weisgerber- Vancouver WA. on Tuesday, October 17, 2017 - 10:22 pm:

Thanks Dan,Terry,Eric and Jim for the additional pictures and information. Terry, at the estate sale of the late Fred Lau I had the opportunity to purchase a set of 4 NOS Champion Priming plugs for the Model T still in their boxes. I passed as I felt the price of $500.00 was way too high. They did sell by the end of the show, but I'm not sure for how much. I would sure like to build a set of these over time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Bond on Wednesday, October 18, 2017 - 12:12 pm:

I've seen a lot of the Champion primers appearing on ebay so you might want to keep an eye open there. Prices seem to hover right around a 75-95 bucks, but NOS in the box should being a bit more. I agree the set of four you passed on were at the high end.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Chillingworth on Wednesday, October 18, 2017 - 02:02 pm:

No name on this plug, but it's an interesting gimmick.

Rich C.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Bond on Wednesday, October 18, 2017 - 10:35 pm:

It's a plug called Allbright. Distinctive electrode. I have one in the collection and unfortunately not all were marked.
Terry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charles Weisgerber- Vancouver WA. on Wednesday, October 18, 2017 - 11:33 pm:

Once again thanks for the information everyone. Now I think I'll have a little side project going on at future swap meets looking for non Champion (except for Champion Priming) T plugs. Anyone else have something related... Spark Intensifiers maybe?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Bond on Thursday, October 19, 2017 - 11:31 am:

You'll find plenty on ebay, or walking the fields at Hershey will help you get your collection going. There are quite a few available that should not break the bank. Lots of different types of spark intensifiers were made over the years and also show up on ebay or at swap meets.
Terry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Kiefer - Adams, MN on Thursday, October 19, 2017 - 11:52 am:

I'm currently running Lesota plugs made in Albert Lea Minnesota.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Thursday, October 19, 2017 - 03:40 pm:

Alright, how and where does that thing go to intensify a spark?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, October 19, 2017 - 03:46 pm:

Just a booster gap, most likely. Some plugs have a booster gap built into them:

http://firetrucksandequipment.tpub.com/TM-5-4210-230-14P-1/css/TM-5-4210-230-14P -1_615.htm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charles Weisgerber- Vancouver WA. on Thursday, October 19, 2017 - 05:37 pm:

Here is another example of intensifiers I found on the internet. These are the adjustable/visible-spark type.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Bond on Thursday, November 02, 2017 - 11:07 am:

Not the best photo but it does show a selection of the aftermarket Spark Intensifiers that are on display in my old auto parts store recreation. I've got several others on display along with some of my spark plugs. There were lots of different types available. Interesting that the idea of an "intensified spark" was a discovery by Panhard/Levassor in France way back in 1899. The devices have been made in lots of different forms since then. Terry

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration