Rear brake drum

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Rear brake drum
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Russell Stevenson on Monday, October 16, 2017 - 01:57 am:

I recently took off my rear tires off to look at the rear brake drum and shoes because why not. and found out that there was a lot of grease everywhere in there. Is this normal for these cars or could it be a bad bearing? It is a 1927 tudor sedan.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, October 16, 2017 - 02:29 am:

It's common, but not normal. Rear brake drums should be dry. If it's grease only, you're way overfilling. If there's oil (more common) you have a bad seal, possibly caused by a worn bearing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Russell Stevenson on Monday, October 16, 2017 - 02:30 am:

here is another picture

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger - Wyoming on Monday, October 16, 2017 - 10:34 pm:

UGH.

Maybe the lighting, but that grease looks like it has metal in it by the color. A dollop of that stuff in lacquer thinner and swish a magnet around in the liquid may show lots of iron fuzz on the magnet. Let's hope not though.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charles Weisgerber- Vancouver WA. on Monday, October 16, 2017 - 10:39 pm:

Russell,please keep us posted on what you find out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Russell Stevenson on Wednesday, October 18, 2017 - 12:11 am:

I will try with a magnet as soon as I can. I will also clean out all the old grease and put new grease in the right spots and only the right spots haha. I inherited this car from my grandpa, so I have not looked into some things like this; and I am just trying to get it in a good driving condition!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Wednesday, October 18, 2017 - 07:49 am:

Russell, it is the nature of the Model T beast to pump grease out the ends of the axle shafts.Triple so for the drivers side.This is due to the ring gear being in the drivers side half of the assembly.The grease that gets 'behind'the ring gear gets pumped out that side.
This is further exacerbated as the thrust washers and plates wear,causing end play of the axle and carrier assembly in the rear axle housing.
Most on here will advise complete tear down and rebuild.I do not. I am going to assume your grandpa went through the rear end and replaced thrust washers and so forth years ago.
I advocate cleaning the grease off the drum,shoe,and backing plate.Pull the outer bearing.Obtain 3 or 4 of the big felt axle washers from one of the vendors, for each side.Put it back together and enjoy it.This is what a T owner would have done back in the day.They didn't rebuild everything over a little grease leak.You will have to cut the holes in the felt washers a little bigger to get them over the shafts.
Everybody that owns a T should have book Model T FordOwner.This is dealt with there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Wednesday, October 18, 2017 - 07:52 am:

Oh,and do not fill diff above the level of the plug.Use the original type grease.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Wednesday, October 18, 2017 - 08:39 am:

It looks like the felt in the wheel is worn out.

If you are concerned about metal it is best to check the thrust washers - they are bronze or lead so a magnet will not help.
In fact if you can't confirm that the lead ones have been swapped out you need to check ASAP or sooner.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Wednesday, October 18, 2017 - 09:21 am:

The felt in the hub just slows down and filters the grease before it leaks out,into the drums,out the spokes and onto the tires.
Obviously, this rear end has had a good going over.Note the nicely painted backing plate.And new,well installed cotter pin in the perch castle but.
A T guy that gave that much attention to such an unseen detail as that certainty did a proper job of going through the rest of the rear end.
Grease leaks out the ends of the axle shafts plagued these damn things from the day they were driven away from the Ford dealership.Some worse than others.That's why the after market produced so many gadgets to stop it.
The spasms of apoplexy surrounding the false notion that ring and pinion will come out of mesh due to thrust washer failure is peculiar to this forum.
Of course,if they are bad,the gears will have a lot of end play,and are more liable to knock teeth off.But Henry wasn't stupid enough to design a part such as a thrust washer that was intentionally made soft to take the wear that if it failed would result in loss of braking.
I have driven around in several Ts with the thrust washers ground to silver dust.
Growl,moan and whine,you betcha.Lose total tooth contact,no way.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger - Wyoming on Wednesday, October 18, 2017 - 10:21 am:

Wow. It is a good thing all of the advice here is free.

Russell

You'll get past this...congratulations and good for you keeping your Grandpa's car on the road. You and your family will really enjoy it.

Keep us posted as to your discoveries and progress.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house . . .caldwell county, TX on Wednesday, October 18, 2017 - 10:59 am:

Looking at the first picture - inside of the drum where not dirty gray green grease presents In the center and 2nd pic where ALL the grease is on the brake shoes; I'd venture a guess grease isn't introduced through twisting grease cups. I'd say over a dozen pumps of a grease gun applied grease through zirks. JMHO

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Russell Stevenson on Friday, October 20, 2017 - 12:35 am:

Thank you guys for all the help I will look into it as soon as I can find free time. It is great to know that my grandpa took care of this car and that he did things the right way!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration