My Genny Charges Too Many Amps - HELP!

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: My Genny Charges Too Many Amps - HELP!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adrian Whiteman, New Zealand on Monday, October 16, 2017 - 04:20 am:

I have reconditioned my Genny.

Found neutral, then moved on to 3rd brush adjustment.

Full 'retard' is just 10AMPS. Anything else goes up to 30 AMPS which I believe is too much for sustained use.

Any ideas what to check, what to do to reduce it?

a) there is no adjustment left for the third brush on the backing ring
b) neutral comes up at the very limit of the ring adjustment, only just turns in reverse, but will motor forward well.
c) field tested OK as did armature

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry & Sharon Miller, Westminster, CO on Monday, October 16, 2017 - 07:57 am:

Adrian,

Are you sure your ammeter is correct? You might try a good ammeter, in line, in place of your original, to check. You'll know for sure if it's 10 & 30 or not.

Good Luck,
Terry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A Bartsch on Monday, October 16, 2017 - 01:10 pm:

Field wires crossed & all brush connections correct as described in rebuild book? jb

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A Bartsch on Monday, October 16, 2017 - 01:12 pm:

Sorry, meant to add this info from Ron Patterson: Ron Patterson’s procedure

If the generator is in good shape and charging excessively or not at all with the third brush fully retarded it is caused the brushplate “neutral” not being set correctly. This is a common problem with newly rebuilt/repaired generators. Setting the brushplate “neutral” can be very tricky. You can follow the standard procedure, but getting it in just the correct spot for proper generator operation is sometimes very elusive.

I have used this procedure for years to set the brush plate in the correct "neutral" position on running Model T’s. You will need a helper to watch the ammeter. Install a known good relay type cutout (not a VR) on the generator. Remove the generator cover band. Adjust the third brush to the fully retarded position (all the way CCW when viewed from the gear end of the generator). Start the engine and run at a speed where the generator should be charging.
Loosen the four #6-32 screws on the brushplate end cap 1-1 1/2 (only) turns. With your fingers reach inside the generator case and rotate the entire brushplate to a point where the ammeter is reading 1-2 amps charge. Tighten the four #6-32 screws. Now reset the third brush to the desired charging rate. Given the way Model T’s are driven today this should normally be no more than 5-6 amps. This is also very easy on the poor generator and it will thank you for it.
If everything else is working correctly, this procedure will set the brushplate "neutral" to the proper position.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Monday, October 16, 2017 - 01:56 pm:

James, Thanks for posting...good stuff.

I'm curious about your location. I don't HAVE to know but am curious.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A Bartsch on Monday, October 16, 2017 - 02:09 pm:

Hal: Upstate NY, 13053. Do you ever travel this way? Best, jb

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Monday, October 16, 2017 - 02:28 pm:

Thanks....In my recently achieved age category I have developed a 4 hour butt. Anything beyond that is out of reach.

I used to be stationed at Otis AFB, Mass, and spent 10 years in the beautiful NE. Thank's and same to you. Cheers. hs

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adrian Whiteman, New Zealand on Monday, October 16, 2017 - 03:04 pm:

Thanks all,
1) yes, tested with different ammeters as well
2) yes, followed rebuild book
3) yes, followed neutral setup per the MTFA book, and the FORD manual - bench motored.
4) used a known good relay cutout.

Hence the puzzled expressions of my ModelT rebuild buddies, who have not seen this case before..

Could it be some short somewhere?

Might try Ron's in car procedure as well :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A Bartsch on Monday, October 16, 2017 - 05:48 pm:

Please let us know the results. Good luck with this one, jb

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration