1926 model t lower trunk help

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: 1926 model t lower trunk help
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Shawn on Monday, October 16, 2017 - 09:34 pm:

Hi guys, I'm in the process of creating the lower trunk bracket and thanks to Dave I have one to copy. My question is should this bracket have a tight fit to the panel? Do I put the bracket in the panel then mount the panel? For some reason the bracket does not seem to fit right. Any thoughts?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Pharis on Tuesday, October 17, 2017 - 12:08 am:

Not too sure about the difference between a coupe and roadster lower panel... But your inner brace looks real similar to the one from my ol' 27 roadster. I do know that there was a wood trunk floor for '26 and metal for '27, and again not sure if this difference affects the lower panel.

In the case of my ol' metal floor '27 roadster, the outer skin was a very tight fit against the inner brace. I seem to remember the inner brace having a lower crossbar tho... I might be wrong on this little detail. However, I do remember the skin being spot welded and riveted all the way around the perimeter of the inner brace before it was bolted into the quarter panels, and eventually the trunk floor. And cross bar or not, the center upright definitely attached at the bottom of the skin, then was bolted thru to the rear crossmember. There was also a small triangular bracket that tied the rear crossmember to the center brace section. All this being necessary as the spare tire hangs off of this inner panel support and the rear subrail.

Whether you made your panel yourself, or acquired yours from a repo source, you need to be sure that the panel has compound curve in it as the originals did. The panel will need this compound shape to clear the inner brace and allow all the mating components to fit properly.

Also remember that you may have found the "correct" inner brace... But this panel decides the width of the car as well as how the trunk lid fits. I would say make the panel fit as needed, and then fit the brace to the panel. These are Fords we have here...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Shawn on Tuesday, October 17, 2017 - 12:39 am:

Thank you so much for your reply. I do have the bottom brace (in the car at the moment) and I also have the top triangular bits. When I put the brace in the car I know I will have to pull the sides of the car in (see picture below). What I wanted to know was should the brace have a tight fit in the panel? Is the panel I have to big? It also looks like the repo panel I have does not have the correct curve and I'm really not sure how to put the curve in as I don't have an English wheel.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A Bartsch on Tuesday, October 17, 2017 - 12:52 am:

Shawn: I made a lower panel for my '26 coupe, fitting the skin snugly to the inner frame. The panel should slide between the body side rails upward to the edge lip of the trunk door. I needed some shims at the end of the panel to adjust the width of the opening for the lid. The trunk floor of my '26 coupe is steel.

Don Booth has restored several of the improved coupes over the past couple years and has posted many pics that I found helpful. I've saved copies of his postings which I'll forward to you if you like, just PM me through the forum, or you may look up his posts directly. best, jb

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Miller, mostly in Dearborn on Tuesday, October 17, 2017 - 05:52 am:

I have a '26 roadster and replaced this back panel. The original panel had the sheet metal tightly spot welded to the braces you're showing. There are upper and lower horizontal braces. The original panel was poorly brazed and notched as part of someone's customizing experiment so I had to buy a second partial panel from Model T haven in order to get a whole good inner frame.

My roadster also has a steel floor. Since the trunk sits on top of that panel, I can't see how there could have ever been a wood floor back there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Shawn on Tuesday, October 17, 2017 - 06:05 am:

Thanks James sent you a pm.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Shawn on Tuesday, October 17, 2017 - 06:11 am:

Here is the trunk floor have made. I don't have a bead roller so it's not like the original.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Shawn on Tuesday, October 17, 2017 - 06:14 am:

Here is another with the corner and arch done.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A Bartsch on Tuesday, October 17, 2017 - 09:35 am:

Shawn: That's beautiful metal work! I didn't find an e-msg from you, try directly to jab35 at cornell dot edu. I will send a message to you via the forum as soon as I upload this post. Best, jb

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Tuesday, October 17, 2017 - 10:37 am:

Shawn,

To my eye, the panel looks too wide, as viewed with it placed in the body. The bracket is probably fine. How does the bare bracket alone fit within the body?

As for the curve being wrong, I think a shrinker/stretcher is what's needed to either gather or stretch the side flanges of the panel. This will adjust your curvature.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Tuesday, October 17, 2017 - 10:38 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Tuesday, October 17, 2017 - 12:49 pm:

Here are some pictures of a 26 coupe I did a couple years ago. I don't have any dimensions for you but maybe these will help.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Tuesday, October 17, 2017 - 12:52 pm:

Shawn the gap on the trunk lid to the body is between 1/4" to 3/8" wide. It is a very loose fit.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Tuesday, October 17, 2017 - 04:21 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vern (Vieux Carre) on Tuesday, October 17, 2017 - 05:19 pm:

Shawn, My center bracket contacts the top and the bottom of the back panel but is not flush all the way down.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Shawn on Tuesday, October 17, 2017 - 05:26 pm:

Thanks everyone. What I will try doing on the weekend is putting the brace that I have into the car. I will the install the trunk lid. Then try pulling the sides of the car in as they are pushed out. Once I get the trunk lid sitting with an even gap I will then see how the lower panel fits. I think the lower panel is to big.

Would this shrinker/stretcher be ok?
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Superior-Metal-Shrinker-Stretcher-for-sheet-metal-all oy-hot-rod-rust-repairs-new-/371696825462?hash=item568adb7476:g:NGMAAOSwFdtXynbf

So, should I shrink the short edge and stretch the long side to get the curve?

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration