FJ - I know a guy who knows a guy .... so you Lurkers join & post - OK ?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: FJ - I know a guy who knows a guy .... so you Lurkers join & post - OK ?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By FreighTer Jim on Tuesday, October 17, 2017 - 12:53 pm:

A guy called me a couple of days ago who had just bought a Model T project on eBay.

I gave him advice that included shipping.

He called me back yesterday and left a message expressing his gratitude.

He recommended I start a thread on the forum offering advice and I told him that is not what I do.

He is a Lurker - he is not registered and does not post.

I encouraged him to register and post and recommended he invite others to do the same so the wheel can keep turning.

Turning The Wheel .....

Register and become active in posting to help others out.

In doing so you are helping yourself out.

FJ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, October 17, 2017 - 02:26 pm:

I meet a lot of folks who never post. I think there may be more lurkers than posters. Some of them are afraid they'll get into one of those occasional mud fights. I'm too thick-headed to worry about that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Randy Braddock on Tuesday, October 17, 2017 - 02:43 pm:

Guilty as charged! Been a lurker for a while but you convinced me to join and come clean about my addiction to old iron. Be it old bikes, cars, or numerous other relics I love the old stuff. Just bought a 27 roadster a couple weeks ago and have learned a bunch on this forum. The car had sat for over ten years so the gas was, well you know, less than desirable. I removed and steamed the tank, charged the 12 yr. old battery enough to fire the points ( it has a distributor) primed it and twisted the crank and wa-la it ran. But boy did it run hot. Took the water pump off and found what looked like sour cream completely plugging the pump so off came the pump, radiator, and all the plumbing and it all got steamed out. Now it runs great except for the pinholes in the pump housing due to corrosion.
Sorry for such a long post but that's my story.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert V. I. Fitzhugh on Tuesday, October 17, 2017 - 04:27 pm:

That's not too long a post at all! Welcome to the affliction! If you throw away the water pump, you won't need to fix the leaks in it. (See, you're a newbie, and already I'm stirring the pot.) Where are you located? How 'bout some pictures?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Tuesday, October 17, 2017 - 04:52 pm:

Welcome Randy.... I farm in southeastern Nebraska, however used to stop once or twice a year at a friend who farms near Tribune. You might as well be in Colorado....
Good to have you posting. This a great forum and Kansas is well represented....
Rob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Tuesday, October 17, 2017 - 05:03 pm:

FJ, Great post and advice....

Please, Please lets get more guys to include their location to their Name. It really makes it so much easier for anyone reading the post to be able offer help when they see that the guy lives close by.

Probably should make a separate post but this comes up sometimes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vern (Vieux Carre) on Tuesday, October 17, 2017 - 05:07 pm:

Welcome to the forum Randy!
Vern

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Tuesday, October 17, 2017 - 05:10 pm:

Good God Steve... Really? You know what? If you're that thin skinned maybe you're better off lurking. What the he** are we turning into? Even the threat of a possible disagreement which might not happen keeps people away!! Do they actually have a life?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By FreighTer Jim on Tuesday, October 17, 2017 - 06:11 pm:

Hi Randy !

I was hoping someone would register - join - post so " Thank You " ....

If you get a chance - post up an image of your 27' Roadster.

FJ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Randy Braddock on Tuesday, October 17, 2017 - 07:01 pm:

Thanks to all who replied. I tried to post a picture but it apparently is too large of a file. I'm using an iPad and at this point don't know how to reduce the pix to a usable size.
On a different subject, I've read on here that I really don't need the water pump if I have a good radiator, which it appears to be. Guess I'll try eliminating the pump but that presents another problem in that the PO elected to run the pump and fan with a v belt. Fan and crank pulley are aluminum for the narrow belt. Not a huge problem but I don't have any of the OEM pulleys.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By FreighTer Jim on Tuesday, October 17, 2017 - 07:28 pm:

Randy,

I use this app on my Chrome OS to resize images:

@ http://resizeimage.net/

I use an app called " Resizer " on my Iphone 7 to reduce images.

FJ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Tuesday, October 17, 2017 - 08:42 pm:

Randy,

Welcome! I would suggest you read the safety items listed at: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/599638/696360.htmlRecommend at the entry "By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Saturday, November 26, 2016 - 09:20 pm:"

It can save you some grief and money in many cases. Glad to hear you got the car running -- I would assume you know about Milt Webb's "How to remove a Model T from Mothballs" at: The article “How to remove a T from mothballs” by Milt Webb is at: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/29/8538.html -- scroll down to Tom Mullin’s posting the third posting from the top. That is probably more than you need – but includes a lot of good things to check. Milt also has an article on "Tuning a T for Durable Touring" also called "The Ultimate Checklist" at: http://evmtfc.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/Milts-article.pdf Lots of good advice with photos.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Tuesday, October 17, 2017 - 09:08 pm:

Wall of text coming! Been working on it for too long. IF this ball of twine shuts this thread down, I'm gonna puke. ;-0
If I use the Samsung Galaxy 5 in my pocket to take a photo for posting, I email it to myself and then re-size it to about 640X480 and it looks good and takes up little bandwidth. 60-80 Kb's or so.
I like my antique digital Olympus D-460 camera the best for posting. :-) Yeah, we love pictures. :-)
Hah! I've even gotten good responses when I post pics of some of my crummy rusty T's here! Hehehe, check my profile pic. :-)
Welcome!
I sure ain't no expert tho.
Yep, you've been doing your home-work about your pump and rad.
I'm almost ready to take the pump off my 18's engine as it's broke in a bit now and yet it needed the pump bad even tho the rad is brand new. :-)
I like Steve's post! Water has ran off of my back for sooo long that I hardly feel it here if it happens!
Sure, I get butt-hurt once in awhile when I see a post about something said that makes me feel like I'm not good enough to have model T's.
Bah. I help teach people about, how to start and how to operate the model T Ford. They love it.
Heck, I get a kick out of some of the mud fights here! Often times, everyone is kinda correct with their own slant. :-)
Charlie, it is an issue. :-)
Oh, we'd be fun in a coffee shop huh Randy?

Belts can be had at the parts store if you'd like. Measure twice! Or more! :-)
Oh shoot, should we give Randy hell about using a dizzy (a distributor)?
I sure won't! One of mine (the 24) has a dizzy and it is almost flawless. It picks 'em off so nice and leaves a pollution cloud wherever he goes, he smokes so bad! Every 15 years, replace the points and condenser and be happy! The others at my place are as Henry and God intended with four coils with a timer and they are almost flawless. :-)
Wait a minute! I now have enough parts to change my 24 back to coils and a timer! Eek! What do I do? Should I?
That's a hypothetical question! Or is it? ;-)
But I do have some naked (not black painted) spokes here, intended or not... :-)
Randy, how's that for a long winded babble?
Guilty as charged Randy? We'll take that sir. Yep. we'll take that. :-)
Hap is the man too and ooh! I need to check what he posted for suggestions!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nevada Bob Middleton on Tuesday, October 17, 2017 - 11:22 pm:

Both realy depends how much time i have
Or if i have some help or advise

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration