Tool question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Tool question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gus on Tuesday, October 17, 2017 - 02:59 pm:

My dad used to have a collection of Model T parts but it looks like most of them disappeared. But I found a couple of these wrenches in the area where the parts used to be so I am wondering if it is for a Model T.

Wrench

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Tuesday, October 17, 2017 - 03:17 pm:

Yup, it's for a Model T.

From left to right: Hubcap, wheel bearing, drain plug, spindle nut.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adrian Whiteman, New Zealand on Tuesday, October 17, 2017 - 03:30 pm:

It looks like an aftermarket wrench, but still fully working and functional - they don't make em like they used too :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger - Wyoming on Tuesday, October 17, 2017 - 04:13 pm:

Likely manufactured by Herbrand

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Wednesday, October 18, 2017 - 10:07 am:

It could be Herbrand, but on that wrench, it's always been my understanding it was Hayes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, October 18, 2017 - 10:22 am:

It's tool #1349 for hub caps, wheel nuts, and front wheel bearings. You often find it with the edges mashed from being whacked with a hammer to loosen tight nuts. It's one of the most common Model T tools and can be had cheap at swap meets. I picked up another one for $1 at Hershey recently. It was made for Ford by several manufacturers.

As these illustrations show, it came in different forms over the years. John Regan has researched the changes, and you may find his report on them with a Google search.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger - Wyoming on Wednesday, October 18, 2017 - 10:25 am:

Larry

I think you're right. Thinking about it now, I believe Herbrand's "H" was typically inside a diamond.

Thanks for putting me straight.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nevada Bob Middleton on Wednesday, October 18, 2017 - 02:42 pm:

Yes there was number of changes over the years and plent after market choices as well
Many early cars had a single combo wrench

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration