Will a Engine built in 1919 fit a 1923

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Will a Engine built in 1919 fit a 1923
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joseph Kowalczyk on Tuesday, October 17, 2017 - 03:08 pm:

I just picked up an Engine and transmission to rebuild. I'm curious, the SER# is Oct 25, 1919, will this engine and transmission fit into a 1923 Touring?

It's going to be another one of my winter projects, for a later date.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Tuesday, October 17, 2017 - 03:16 pm:

Yes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Tuesday, October 17, 2017 - 03:50 pm:

If it's early 1919 it might not have a place for a generator in the engine casting. But it will still work.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Pawelek Brookshire, Texas on Tuesday, October 17, 2017 - 04:22 pm:

1919 was a transition year where you could get the Model T with a starter, ring gear, generator and battery powered lights.
All the engines will fit in the frame.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joseph Kowalczyk - Nampa Idaho on Tuesday, October 17, 2017 - 05:23 pm:

Thanks everyone for your information, really appreciate it..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Pawelek Brookshire, Texas on Tuesday, October 17, 2017 - 06:01 pm:

Joseph, while a engine is not in the frame it might be a good time to make sure the frame is straight and not bowed down where the engine fits the frame. Otherwise you might have problems with the hood not aligning properly later on.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Wednesday, October 18, 2017 - 09:43 am:

That's good advice about checking the frame for straightness. My experience is that most frames are bent or out of square.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - West Melbourne Florida on Wednesday, October 18, 2017 - 09:47 am:

It will fit, But if your state is one that uses the engine number for the registration you may need to re stamp the number.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joseph Kowalczyk - Nampa Idaho on Wednesday, October 18, 2017 - 10:59 am:

Good advice on checking the frame, currently I have an engine in the car that is running great. Just wanted to learn more about the Model T engine, use it for a backup or spare, will rebuild this older engine, and continue using the one in the car. That way, when time to rebuild the one in the car, I can swap out engines quickly and rebuild the original.

In Idaho they used the Engine # for registration. I figure as long as I own the car, no problem with engine numbers, if the old engine became unrepairable, I could use the advice of Will and stamp the original engine number in this older engine. My children want to keep this in the family after I pass it along, so that is good news, my son is really enjoying the father son project of restoring this 1923 Touring. Hoping to have the rear end back together in a week or so and drive the car a little more b4 winter.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nevada Bob Middleton on Wednesday, October 18, 2017 - 02:39 pm:

Pans and mounting will interchange.
As they are the same 11 to 27
If your car didnt have a starter and has wood firewall you'l need to relieve to clear the starter

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Codman on Wednesday, October 18, 2017 - 05:40 pm:

The first T that I ever drove was a 1924 with a 1919 engine. If it will fit a '24, it will fit a '23.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Wednesday, October 18, 2017 - 07:30 pm:

My 22's engine is a 24, I had to pull the engine last summer to rebuild my transmission. Everything in that trans (mostly everything was pretty well shot, so a friend (Herb Minor) gave me a transmission with flywheel out of a 1919. The chief difference between the 1919 and the 24 was that the ring gear had bosses in 4 cardinal positions and the flywheel had counter bores in the same locations that they fit into.

In the end I didn't use the 1919's flywheel opting instead for my old one (it was indexed to my crank). Glen Chaffen helped me rebush and ream those drums and fit them to my flywheel. My engine is a "Frankenstein" but it works fine and is very smooth.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John V. Dow on Wednesday, October 18, 2017 - 09:52 pm:

I have your very situation: 1923 Touring with a 1919 engine and the two are married in total harmony. It's a beautiful thing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Thursday, October 19, 2017 - 10:24 am:

You should buy an original or a copy of a Model T parts book. Your question would be answered.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joseph Kowalczyk - Nampa Idaho on Friday, October 20, 2017 - 11:53 pm:

Larry Smith,

I would like a little more information regarding the Model T parts book, I cannot find anything under that name. Can you please supply an author or exact title of the book your referring to.

Thanks

Joe

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, October 21, 2017 - 12:16 am:

Joe, Ford issued approximately a jillion parts books.This is one that's currently being reproduced.

https://www.modeltford.com/item/T7.aspx

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Saturday, October 21, 2017 - 06:04 am:

The original books will have much better illustrations than the reprints. If you have the extra cash invest in a vintage copy of the Ford Service Manual and a parts booklet. Here is a 1930 parts booklet on eBay right now.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1909-1927-Ford-Model-T-Illustrated-Parts-Book-om822-O7N PCS-/290887644521?hash=item43ba413569:g:stsAAMXQHeBSE-qR

By the way I saw two service manuals on eBay for $75.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joseph Kowalczyk - Nampa Idaho on Saturday, October 21, 2017 - 10:18 am:

Mark,

Thanks for the link, I just purchased the parts book, going to be some interesting reading once it arrives.

Thank You

Joe

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration