After market transmission question.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: After market transmission question.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Seress, Prescott Az. on Tuesday, October 17, 2017 - 03:32 pm:

I was looking for an auxilary transmission for my T but what is the difference between a Warford and all the rest brands that are available for a T? I want to take out the ruckstell and put back the original 12 rear end for looks but I still want to get up my 35 degree driveway. Suggestions/answeres greatly appreciated. Frank

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Randall Strickland, Lambsburg Va on Tuesday, October 17, 2017 - 03:54 pm:

I have an old aluminum warlord,itís noisy in underdrive and overdrive and you have to synchronize engine rpm to trans to shift on the go,the new kc Lang warfords are a lot quitter and shift easy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Tuesday, October 17, 2017 - 04:10 pm:

The difference is that you can buy a brand new Warford, and all the other options are hard to find, and probably need rebuilding, and parts are nowhere to be found, and are probably difficult to shift.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Tuesday, October 17, 2017 - 05:18 pm:

Frank, I understand you wanting a correct looking rear end. That's exactly what got me into a Warford years ago.

Jerry is partly right in my opinion. The new ones are very nice but sort of expensive. There are lots of Original alum Warfords that show up at swap meets and here on the Forum or ebay. Many of the parts are available.

I have an original and really like it. It is only a little noisy in O/D and getting quietier the more miles it gets used. Yes, shifting may be a little tricky but if you've driven a stick shift back in the day you'll get it real quick. With a new one it is possible to shift from O/D at speed into U/D with bad results.

You also need some aux. brakes to go with it.

I can tell you that I would not be without one. I see there is one advertised in the Long Beach and Orange County Model T Clubs newsletters.

Good Luck and Your sure to enjoy it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, October 17, 2017 - 07:48 pm:

One of the favorites for early brass Ts is the Moore two speed. It was one of the first to hit the market with an intermediate gear for Fords, first becoming available about 1916. Ruckstell and most other auxiliary transmissions did not hit the market until after WWI, many of the more popular ones were not made until after about 1923 or even later. The typical Moore is a direct and 50 percent under (a little lower than the Ruckstell). They are a constant gear mesh with a sliding dog to engage, and tend to be easy to shift. Requisite warning! Good reliable emergency brakes are a MUST!!!! The Moore can miss a shift, or even jump out of gear on its own losing the transmission brake.
The Moore CAN be set up as a overdrive, but is a bit steep that way. most of them are underdrive.
The Universal (brand name) also offered two speed transmissions, in both under and over drive configurations.
The advantage to both of those is they allow you to use your original late '09 through '14 rear housings (preferred appearance for early brass Ts. They sit forward of the differential, somewhat out of sight, and unobtrusive. The shift lever, of course, would still be visible near the from seat (although I have seen a couple set up with foot/kick pedals for shifting that looked more like cutout pedals. And again, outside emergency brakes are preferred.
The Planetor is another one, similar in mounting and operation. I have never seen one up close, but most I have heard of required quite a bit of rebuilding to become any good again.

Another option. Both Universal and Rocky Mountain made and sold three speed progressive shift under/direct/over transmissions. Only slightly bulkier than the Moore or Universal two speeds, they offer more options yet for choices of gear range. I have had one of each. Both were very nice to use. These coupled with a 4 to 1 ten tooth pinion gear rear end is one of the best driving gear combinations I have ever driven with a T. However, they were not on the market until well into the 1920s, if that matters to you.
Personally, as the most era correct (at least it is close), I prefer the Moore for a brass car. I wish I still had one.
Good luck! Have fun.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration