Driving to Work this Morning [video]

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Driving to Work this Morning [video]
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Wednesday, October 18, 2017 - 09:42 am:

Here is a video of a cold start using the starter motor and ignition set on magneto. I'm driving the '23 to work every day now ... until it gets too dark to drive legally.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVYFbn8IeqM

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Wednesday, October 18, 2017 - 09:52 am:

Note how I push the brake pedal ... when it lurches forward a little after starting. You can see the brake light go on. I have yet to install the generator ... the last mechanical piece to rebuild. Maybe this weekend.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Wednesday, October 18, 2017 - 11:00 am:

Short and sweet video. It says it all. Good for you.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Spencer Vibert - Granby ,CT on Wednesday, October 18, 2017 - 11:23 am:

I am glad the car is working out for you Mark have you tried the Anderson timer on it yet?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Doris, AZ on Wednesday, October 18, 2017 - 11:23 am:

Congrats on your rebuild! Sounds real nice. Appears to have plenty of power.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Wednesday, October 18, 2017 - 11:30 am:

No Spencer ... will need to re-adjust the control rod for that and will do it with the radiator off as I retrofit for winter in the next few days. Much easier than when the radiator is on. Actually I'll make a whole new rod so that I can switch back if I don't see significant difference. Also have an OF carburetor to try on it now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Wednesday, October 18, 2017 - 11:33 am:

Bob, I'm realizing that this NH carburetor needs a much richer mixture to get the acceleration I want. If I drive a long distance without stopping ... as in 10 mile trips ... I lean the mixture to get better mileage. Anxious to see what this OF carburetor I bought at Hershey will do for pick up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Wednesday, October 18, 2017 - 12:57 pm:

Just like facebook .... there are over 90 views but only one person clicked "like." Tough audience and you would think this would actually BE the audience. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By paul griesse--Granville,Ohio on Wednesday, October 18, 2017 - 01:05 pm:

I "like" your video----Hey--time to mow your lawn!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n LakeOzark,Missourah on Wednesday, October 18, 2017 - 01:17 pm:

In the cooler weather, I would have let it warm up a little longer. Give that AWL a chance to warm up a bit.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Wednesday, October 18, 2017 - 03:13 pm:

Ha ... yes, when it actually gets cold out I run it for about two or three minutes before I drive away. In this case it was mild out and as soon as I get out of the drive way I'm headed down hill for a few blocks... so I get to very low RPMs almost immediately. You'll hear it in the video ...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Houston---WNC on Wednesday, October 18, 2017 - 03:22 pm:

Glad to see I am not the only one to drive my "T" to work at 8 AM

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Wednesday, October 18, 2017 - 03:32 pm:

I suspect that 90% of the people on this forum are retired. Wouldn't that be nice .... :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Wednesday, October 18, 2017 - 06:06 pm:

Gotta be signed in to "like" on youtube.
Like! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Thursday, October 19, 2017 - 10:38 am:

Mark, don't stop driving to work just because it gets dark! You have electric lights!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Thursday, October 19, 2017 - 07:28 pm:

Well, I liked it too ! Only problem with the video, too short !

Larry, I thought acetylene lamps were also for driving after dark ! (Not that I'd recommend it !! )

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Thursday, October 19, 2017 - 08:39 pm:

Larry ... maybe in California ... but in New York State you are not allowed to use an antique car for "regular transportation" or drive between dusk and dawn. The local police turn a blind eye to me driving it so often ... but if I drive it at night I'd have a ticket in a heartbeat. Not to mention that I live in a city ... dangerous enough during the daylight hours.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Thursday, October 19, 2017 - 11:51 pm:

Sounds like you might have the idle a bit hi. How low will it go and keep running?

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration