Missing

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Missing
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Wednesday, October 18, 2017 - 11:08 am:

I just replaced the muffler and starter switch on my '21 T. I tried to get the generator to charge with no luck.
Now I have a miss. All 4 plugs have spark and carb adjustment makes no difference. I'm trying to decide what to do next. Got any suggestions?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bruce Compton on Wednesday, October 18, 2017 - 11:33 am:

Tommy : As I posted on the classified post, check and clean the plugs, do a compression check looking for a sticky valve and then check for a vacuum leak at the intake mounting surface or where the carb mounts. Even though it appears that you have all four plugs getting spark, I'd still have a close look at the timer. Good luck : Bruce

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Wednesday, October 18, 2017 - 12:47 pm:

Swap the coils around to see if the miss moves to a different cylinder.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire (La Florida!) on Wednesday, October 18, 2017 - 12:54 pm:

Is the miss at idle? What happens if you accelerate just a little does the miss go away? How about if you adjust the spark advance? My 27 will miss a little until it gets good and warm then everything is smooth....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Wednesday, October 18, 2017 - 01:14 pm:

All the connections to the coil box and plugs tight? Try moving the coils around as Jerry V. says.
Also try holding down the coil points down one at a time while the engine is running. You will quickly find out which one is missing by doing that. If one doesn't have any change that's the one that's not firing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Wednesday, October 18, 2017 - 04:44 pm:

I checked the timing and I believe it is right. The plugs were all a little sooty so I cleaned them. That seemed to help but I still hear a skip from time to time. Today is the third day the car has been driven and I must have had the carb adjusted a little rich. The spark looks good and looks the same at the plugs but my coils don't all sound the same when they buzz.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Wednesday, October 18, 2017 - 05:32 pm:

I can not trace the miss to any one cylinder grounding the plugs with a screwdriver.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Wednesday, October 18, 2017 - 10:05 pm:

If MMO is available locally and for cheap try a little in case it's a lightly sticking valve. The worst thing that can happen is you'll be out seven bucks.

It cured my little truck's intermittent miss

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Wednesday, October 18, 2017 - 10:22 pm:

My engine is newly rebuilt with less than 25 miles on it. After starting I move the spark lever down about 3/4 of the way to smooth out the engine. The last 1/4 seems to make no difference. Also, I'm not sure my engine will idle down as low as it should. I can see no sign of leaks at the carb mounting or intake manifold.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bruce Compton on Thursday, October 19, 2017 - 12:26 am:

So... a fresh rebuild with a miss sounds even more like a sticky valve(s) or valves with too little clearance after warming up fully. What were the gaps set at?? Did you have a close look at the timer? Cheers : Bruce

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger - Wyoming on Thursday, October 19, 2017 - 09:42 am:

Bruce

in another thread he stated that he disassembled the points on his coils and bead blasted them and reassembled without adjusting.

I'm surprised it runs as well as it does. Personally I would not look inside the engine, but rather, outside

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Thursday, October 19, 2017 - 10:51 am:

Cleaning the plugs seems to have cured the miss. However it sounds like I am running on borrowed time, having "restored" my coils myself. I will be expecting a coil, or two, to fail every time I drive it. What should I do, exchange by coils for professionally rebuilt, tested, and adjusted ones? What is the cost of professionally done coils? Major medical expense, thanks to an uninsured driver, kinda limits what I can spend on the T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Thursday, October 19, 2017 - 10:58 am:

Your current financial issues aside, send them off to Ron Patterson - call first for directions in determining "rebuildability" !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Thursday, October 19, 2017 - 11:02 am:

Brent Mize does splendid work on old coils.

Here is his price list

http://www.coildoctor.com/price-list

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bruce Compton on Thursday, October 19, 2017 - 12:29 pm:

I'm using a set of Brent's coils and they work great. Before getting Brent's coils, I knew I had a problem as my car ran a little better on "battery" than on "mag". Unless you're running a distributor, the coil/magneto set-up is the most critical thing to allow your car to run properly, although an excellent timer is a close second .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Saturday, October 21, 2017 - 11:38 pm:

I had a coil finally let me down. We had family and friends at our house today for our youngest grandson's birthday celebration. Plans included Model T rides. I started the car and moved it out of the garage this morning to wipe the dust off. It ran rough. I found that #2 cylinder was dead. Moving #2 coil to #1 verified the coil was the problem. No more Model T rides until I get another coil.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration