1920 Peerless touring identification help requested please

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: 1920 Peerless touring identification help requested please
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthony J. Marino - League City, Texas on Wednesday, October 18, 2017 - 04:32 pm:

Need help identifying a 1920 Peerless touring please:
p1
p2
p3
p3a
p4
p4a
p5
p6
p7
p8
p9
p10
p11
p12
p13
p14
p15
p16
p17
p18
p19
p20
p21
p22
p23
p24
p25
p25a
p26
p27
p28

Any help will be much appreciated.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Wednesday, October 18, 2017 - 04:45 pm:

Well ... it's a model T Ford that happens to have an accessory Peerless radiator cover. The peerless radiator was a honeycomb type .. but you can use the cover on a modern replacement radiator. I used to have one on my 1919 speedster.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthony J. Marino - League City, Texas on Wednesday, October 18, 2017 - 04:53 pm:

I assumed that the Peerless Car Company made the whole Touring body and fenders and put it on a Model T chassis?

Am I wrong?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Wednesday, October 18, 2017 - 05:25 pm:

Anthony,

Your body appears to be a standard body that would have been dropped onto the chassis at a Ford assembly plant. The radiator shell was an accessory. To my knowledge, Peerless did not produce bodies. But even if they did, the pictures of the body appear to be a standard Ford body.

Note Ford purchased the bodies from several outside body makers. If you go to the posting at:
Forum posting “Home for the Holidays” at: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/29/40322.html it describes and has pictures of where to look for a letter that indicates which company produced the body for Ford. Not all of the companies had a letter stamped into the front and/or rear heel panel. And it appears that your body was rewooded so you won't find the letter and body number there unless someone went to the trouble to restamp the numbers. And then you don't know if they used the previous numbers or made some up.

Your touring body windshield does not have the brackets for cowl lamps which indicates it was for use on a starter equipped car. You also have a dash that was used on the starter equipped cars.

It would be great if you could find out if most of the pieces came from the same car or if most of the pieces came from multiple cars.

Good luck with your find.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Wednesday, October 18, 2017 - 05:27 pm:

Hi Anthony,

Yes, you are wrong. Peerless made the radiator shell ONLY. The body appears to be all run of the mill Ford parts. It looks to be the good start of a nice touring. Good luck with your project, Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthony J. Marino - League City, Texas on Wednesday, October 18, 2017 - 06:44 pm:

The radiator is a weird looking honeycomb. It has a SPIREX tag on it with a Model 777 made by the Modine Manufacturing Co.

See photo above.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks on Wednesday, October 18, 2017 - 07:12 pm:

Anthony- what you have pictured is a Model T Ford made by the Ford Motor Company..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Wednesday, October 18, 2017 - 08:31 pm:

Peerless brand radiators came with their own shell. The shell can be fitted to other radiators too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthony J. Marino - League City, Texas on Thursday, October 19, 2017 - 06:12 am:

Thanks for the help to all.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Thursday, October 19, 2017 - 10:18 am:

A real Peerless automobile was a high end automobile, and I believe it was made into the thirties.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Thursday, October 19, 2017 - 10:25 am:

Yup. At one time the pinnacle of luxury cars was a toss-up among the "Three Ps" : Packard, Peerless and Pierce-Arrow. No doubt the radiator folks wanted some of that gloss !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Thursday, October 19, 2017 - 01:29 pm:

And it used to be said of the three Ps that you saw Packards often, Pierce Arrows seldom, and Peerless almost never.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Thursday, October 19, 2017 - 05:13 pm:

David, I'm sure that's true ! Interesting to me, comparing over fifteen million Model Ts, Packard's total production over nearly sixty years was just over a million cars, and a fourth of them were the "pregnant rhino" 22nd and 23rd series cars 1948-50.

Pierce and Peerless didn't survive the Depression, I wonder what their output was ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Kelsey on Thursday, October 19, 2017 - 05:24 pm:

LOL - pregnant rhino. That is hilarious!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Perkins / St. Croix Valley Mn on Thursday, October 19, 2017 - 05:47 pm:

Awww,come on guys, I never heard that term for my next all-time favorite automobile after my model T!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Thursday, October 19, 2017 - 07:20 pm:

Jeff, that's a beautiful '48 !! (I have one too. "Pregnant rhino" is a term of endearment !! ). Hard to imagine them as being fifteen times more "rare" than any Model T, ain't it ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Perkins / St. Croix Valley Mn on Thursday, October 19, 2017 - 07:40 pm:

Of all the terms I have heard to describe these cars yours is the funniest! I guess we hijacked Mr. Marino’s thread but he was sufficiently informed about what he has anyways!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Layden Butler on Friday, October 20, 2017 - 12:53 am:

Peerless also made fenders and toolboxes and no doubt other sheet metal aftermarket parts for Fords besides the radiator shell and hood.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Friday, October 20, 2017 - 08:37 am:

Layden

Here are some ads, the 'Peerless' name was brand, the mfg. was Corcoran. They did make aftermarket fenders into the twenties for Ford cars.

No relation to the high quality Peerless Motor Car Co. of course!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Grisbee---Cheyenne Wyo on Saturday, October 21, 2017 - 10:17 pm:

Here's my shell off the Deluxe Peerless edition with chrome emblem.picture

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ivan on Sunday, October 22, 2017 - 04:55 pm:

I too have a "Peerless" radiator shroud stored up in the rafters but it only has the "Peerless" name and no other stampings.
I note with interest that this example is proudly stamped as being made by "Corcoran manufacturing' ? I assume the same maker as our Model Ts' Corcoran lamps ??

(Message edited by v10pdownunder on October 22, 2017)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration