Schematic for Alternator and distributor

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Schematic for Alternator and distributor
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Wednesday, October 18, 2017 - 04:42 pm:

I have received a speedster in my shop which has an alternator and a distributor on it. The only things which worked when it arrived were the ignition, and the starter and the ammeter. The wires are a mess of twisted and connected and patched up wires and some wires just hanging loose. Someone started to wire up a fuse system but never finished.

I need to find out the correct way to wire it. Presently the positive wire from the alternator goes to the positive pole on the battery and two wires a black and a white are connected together through a switch to the ammeter and from there to the ignition coil and distributor.

I need to find out the correct way to connect the alternator, the coil, the ammeter and the lights. I think I will need to replace the headlight switch with one with two poles for low and high beam (sealed beam lights) There is also a stop light which does not work.

I have many feet of wire in different colors and will need to make up the wires because nothing is remotely similar to a stock T.

Anyway, I have no experience with connecting an alternator to a T.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Wednesday, October 18, 2017 - 04:54 pm:

Norm, first you need to identify the alternator, there are 3 or 4 different types.

If the alternator has a large and small terminal on the back, the small terminal requires a separate + voltage to actuate the regulator. That voltage has to be separately switched and removed when the engine is not running. The large terminal can be connected directly through the ammeter to the battery and left connected, if the alternator internal diodes are good.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Husa on Wednesday, October 18, 2017 - 04:58 pm:

Check out Texas T parts
http://www.texastparts.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=TTP&Category_ Code=z
DOWNLODS of wiring diagrams.
The one has distributor and alternator.
Happy Days!
Steve

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Thursday, October 19, 2017 - 09:36 pm:

Thank you,
Norm

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration