Took the War Wagon out for a lap at Talladega

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Took the War Wagon out for a lap at Talladega
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Wednesday, October 18, 2017 - 09:29 pm:

Group of military vehicle guys invited me over with the 1915 T War Wagon for a pre race lap at Talladega, AL Super Speedway prior to the Alabama 500 NASCAR race on Sunday.

Don't think I set any track records, but I did make it around the track in one piece.

That's my 25 year old son driving.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Bourgeois on Wednesday, October 18, 2017 - 10:12 pm:

Way Cool!!!!!!!!!!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Wednesday, October 18, 2017 - 11:15 pm:

What? A T at Talladega?
Steve B is WAY correct Bob!
Way Cool!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Thursday, October 19, 2017 - 06:26 am:

Maybe that model T magic rubbed off and helped Keslowski win the race in a Ford.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Smith on Thursday, October 19, 2017 - 06:53 am:

Robert that is a great experience. It looks good on the track! That can feel like a long way around in a car at speed! Driving the t must have seemed like a road trip to your son. Had to have been very memorable with the crowd. Thanks for sharing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire (La Florida!) on Thursday, October 19, 2017 - 07:38 am:

Way cool!
Of course you set a track record, The slowest one lap time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Thursday, October 19, 2017 - 07:51 am:

Now that is awesome :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Kiefer - Adams, MN on Thursday, October 19, 2017 - 09:03 am:

Robert, how high were you able to get on the banked curves? I was told you needed 70 MPH to stay up there with out falling off.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Thursday, October 19, 2017 - 09:31 am:

A. No, we were not the slowest military vehicle at that lap. A Vietnam era MULE, had a top speed of about 11 mph and set the pace for those behind it. Fortunately, we ran in order from oldest to youngest, so we were first and the MULE was almost last. EAT MY DUST!

B. They had a double yellos line at the infield side of the track that we were told not to cross and drip oil and fluids on the actual "racing" part of the track. But on the straight away, we all "wandered" a little.

Was told by a pace jeep that we were up around 30mph getting to our staging area and, yes , it did feel like 60 mph. Never thought I'd worry about my hat blowing off in a T until then.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Thursday, October 19, 2017 - 12:39 pm:

I was gonna ask if you got it up on the bank?:-)

They do track tours there and carry you over from the Motorsports Hall of Fame to the track in a van. They'll take that van and creep up onto part of the bank and it feels like you are going to turn over. And that's not even the steepest part. They tell you how fast you have to go to stay up there on that steepest portion. I forget what it was now. 60-80? Something like that. Otherwise you slide back down.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Thursday, October 19, 2017 - 01:31 pm:

A few years ago a clean up crew got to high on the banks cleaning up after a wreck and their truck rolled over all the way to the bottom. When it was built years ago the paving machine were hooked to a bulldozer at the top of track by cables to hold them on the banks. Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Sullivan, Powell WY on Thursday, October 19, 2017 - 02:03 pm:

Took laps once at that track in a stock car; the view where you are looking WAY UP at the top of the banking as you enter turn 1 was incredible.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Thursday, October 19, 2017 - 02:03 pm:

I know from experience, it's almost impossible to even walk on the banked turns at Daytona. It just doesn't look that extreme on TV.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Smith on Friday, October 20, 2017 - 08:15 am:

Yep, banking is in 30 degree neighborhood. Crawl is a good word to use if on banking. Drove some laps years back at 160-170mph and had a lot of fun. If you have done any banked oval racing you learn you can't see the exit of the 2nd or 4th turn through peripheral vision because of being on the bank. Fun stuff. Trying to see fence post's on the back straightaway is also humorous at 170. Not sure the old wood spokes are up to those lateral loads though they are maybe stronger than we think sometimes. Still had to have been a great feeling for Robert to be on the track. It is much bigger than you think when cruising around. I felt like you could lost on the front straight the first time through! A lot of asphalt!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Friday, October 20, 2017 - 10:17 am:

Robert,
Did you ever watch this DVD?

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/80257/89906.html?1261532947

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration