Books....

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Books....
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Annaian on Wednesday, October 18, 2017 - 09:44 pm:

Just wondering what would be the recommended book list for a new person...

Got some extra money and want to get some books since that seems to be very recommended.

As others would, I'd like to spend as least as possible.

I have seen the usual recommendations of the ford model t service manual and the MTFCA ones. However I have also seen others say the Ford Model T Owner book is a bit better?

In your opinion, what should I buy? I'd like to spend around $50 at most...

Thanks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Wednesday, October 18, 2017 - 10:00 pm:

Hi John, Welcome to the Forum! I suggest that you
buy the Ford Model T Service manual first and the MTFCA manuals for specific topics as you need them.

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Annaian on Wednesday, October 18, 2017 - 10:03 pm:

Ok, thank you! That's what I figured...

Any other opinions?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, October 18, 2017 - 10:19 pm:

If you're limiting your total spending on books to $50, the Service Manual and the MTFCA books will eat it up. You can start with those, then save up another $50 and get the encyclopedia.

http://dauntlessgeezer.com/DG80.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Wednesday, October 18, 2017 - 10:24 pm:

Model T Ford Owner.A compilation of articles from the day by Murray Fahnestock.
Many think outside the box articles.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vern (Vieux Carre) on Wednesday, October 18, 2017 - 10:29 pm:

John,
One day I decided to read all the January 2017 threads but after about 100 reads, I gave up. The MTFCA forum is the best bang for the buck.
Vern

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Annaian on Wednesday, October 18, 2017 - 10:49 pm:

Thank you for your opinions.

Think I'll order the service manual (A cheaper used one), and a few MTFCA books.

Vern, I fully agree the forum is awesome! Just don't want to post every question I have when the book probably answers them haha.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, October 18, 2017 - 10:58 pm:

Henry's Wonderful Model T 1908-1927, Floyd Clymer

Tin Lizzy , The story of the fabulous Model T Ford, Philip Van Doren Stern

A copy of the owners manual for the year you are working on also parts list.
Free catalogs from the suppliers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Wednesday, October 18, 2017 - 11:28 pm:

I'll second what Mark said Tin Lizzie by Stern.It has been reprinted in paperback but you can find a good used hardcover from the used book sites.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, October 19, 2017 - 01:32 am:

My first thought? Mark G said it, seconded by Kenneth DL. "Henry's Wonderful Model T". It is an older book, and does contain a few historic errors, but it was my favorite book about fifty years ago. Older copies can sometimes be found for just a few dollars.
The book is a good overall. Has many wonderful (and good quality) photographs, sections on the evolution and development of the model T (where most of the historic errors are), a chapter on after-market accessories, model T era model T jokes, and more. I still treasure the copy I got when I was about twelve.

Welcome to the affliction!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mitchell Helgeson on Thursday, October 19, 2017 - 01:40 am:

I was wondering if there was any good books that will show the racing side of model t's. I am looking for period correct mods for a speedster.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Thursday, October 19, 2017 - 02:40 am:

More Murray Fahnestock authored books."The Model T in Speed and Sport" and "The Fast Ford Handbook".
These are compilations of original articles published in FordOwner magazine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Annaian on Thursday, October 19, 2017 - 06:45 am:

Ahhhh so many choices!

Should've been more specific. I'm looking for books about stuff like rebuilding the transmission. Do those that you've listed above cover that?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, October 19, 2017 - 09:03 am:

For the transmission you want the Service Manual, the MTFCA transmission book, and Mike Bender's online videos.

I don't know what year T you're working on, but if it has "quick change" bands and all you're doing is installing new lining through the inspection door, I would differ with the manual. I install reverse first, then brake, and finally low. I found that less difficult than the recommended order. If you're doing more serious transmission work the hogshead will be off and the order of band installation won't matter.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Douglas Dachenbach on Thursday, October 19, 2017 - 09:15 am:

Ted Aschman's Tinkerin Tips I and II are a great fun read and a lot of good straight forward advice on doing repairs. Better explained than the service manual. Been out of print for a long time but I think Mac has a few copies of II.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Annaian on Thursday, October 19, 2017 - 09:25 am:

I'm working on a '27 engine.

I'll see what people have around, but for now I'll stick with the service manuals and the MTFcA books.

Do I NEED books like the axles? Should I buy them all now?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, October 19, 2017 - 10:07 pm:

If you don't know for a fact what's inside the rear end, it's imperative to open the thing up and take a look. For that you'll want the axle book.

http://dauntlessgeezer.com/DG79.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Friday, October 20, 2017 - 12:23 am:

Yes, look into the rear axle. Do you NEED the axle book?
Well?
Goll, there really is a lot of good info in there.
On another subject: The service manual is available online for nil. The pictures aren't that good but the rest is gold.
Try http://cimorelli.com/mtdl/servicemanual/default.htm
More $$$ for other books. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Dugger on Friday, October 20, 2017 - 12:34 am:

John: The guys all say the Model T Ford Service Manual and no finer word could be said. I think I have two or three issues, and one is here in front of me. Two are in the shop and they are like gold to a Model tr.. You will think of something that you need an answer and it is most likely there in the book and you may have to do a bit of looking but trust me it is there somewhere in them thar pages of the Black or tan book. My thoughts are read it then re-read it backwards. Start at the front page and go to the back page then take a rest and start at the back and go the other direction. It is real interesting.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Friday, October 20, 2017 - 10:43 am:

A model T is usually not a car/truck that drops in your lap,you usually want one before you get one.The reason you want one will vary widely but the looks and history are why i bought model T's.How few of us bought a T just for the fun of working on it.All of the how to and fix it books in the world are only a help if you have to work on it constantly or you bought a pile of parts.The black bible is good but all model T's are not the same.Much of the advise/learning you can get here free and easy so what do you want from a Model T??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kim Kramer on Friday, October 20, 2017 - 07:39 pm:

Douglas--The MTFCA Museum now has Aschman's Tinkerin' Tips for sale. Don't quote me on this, but it might cost 15 bucks plus shipping, etc. You can call the Museum Office to inquire about ordering.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration