Self made disaster avoided

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Self made disaster avoided
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - West Melbourne Florida on Thursday, October 19, 2017 - 08:48 am:

The weather here in Florida is cooling to a point that I can finally get the 1919 out for a drive. Yesterday I pulled the 19 out of the garage and put it into the car port. I did all the things you guys do up north to get your T's ready for the season, Cleaned and adjusted the coils, Filled the radiator, pumped up the tires and checked the oil in the rear end, Grease the U joint and drive shaft bushing. I dumped the crank case oil and realized I left the new oil in the wife's car. She was out and would be home in a few hours. In between that time it started raining so I grabbed the used oil bucket from under the T and tossed it in the garage. The wife didn't make it home until after dark. We had dinner and sat for an evening of TV shows. This morning I got a call from a friend and he wanted to meet up at small local diner for coffee so I jumped in the T and was just getting ready to start the T when the wife yelled out, Hey come get this oil out of my car. Oh crap! Did I really forget to refill the T with oil. If it hadn't been for the wife getting ready to leave at the same time I was I would had destroyed my engine. The worst part is I'm the guy on my street reminding all the older guys on my street to always check there oil in there cars and lawn equipment. I hope this isn't the first sign of me getting old also.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Pawelek Brookshire, Texas on Thursday, October 19, 2017 - 08:56 am:

Will, I hate to be the one to tell you but it gets worse from now on. Welcome to the club! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Thursday, October 19, 2017 - 09:06 am:

Will

I almost did the same yesterday, getting Dixie ready for tour in Manchester TN next week. Had drained the oil and replaced the plug , had the hood up on the filler side.

Next thing neighbor came over to borrow chain saw and then got busy with him and other things.....

So late evening decided to re-test the RM brakes I had adjusted earlier, climbed in the driver's seat , pushed up spark lever, set throttle and was reaching for the ignition key when.... I thought to myself, looking out the windshield....why is the hood up ?...

Duh... good thing that hood was up or poor Dixie could have faulted for lack of engine lube!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire (La Florida!) on Thursday, October 19, 2017 - 09:09 am:

Wait until you spend an hour looking for the key's in your hand, or not being able to find your glasses that are on top of your head then discuss it with your wife to see if you need to tell the Dr. she will pin a note to your shirt.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, October 19, 2017 - 09:11 am:

That kind of lapse seems very familiar. I would worry about such incidents being signs of oncoming senile dementia, but they're nothing new. I've always been this way. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Thursday, October 19, 2017 - 09:22 am:

I wont worry about any of you unless you post the same thing tomorrow.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Douglas Dachenbach on Thursday, October 19, 2017 - 09:24 am:

Don't worry too much, all of us have these moments with the busy lives we live and multitasking. Start worrying when you walk out to the carport, look at the T and don't remember what it is!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert G. Hester Jr., Riverview, FL on Thursday, October 19, 2017 - 09:29 am:

Last thing before removing the oil plug tie a rag to the steering wheel. Done this all my life, works every time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Kiefer - Adams, MN on Thursday, October 19, 2017 - 09:31 am:

I'm just happy it's Friday.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Codman on Thursday, October 19, 2017 - 10:13 am:

When I was teaching Automotive in a vocational school, we had a standing rule the no car should be left looking as if it could be started/driven unless it could be started/driven safely. We would tape a NO OIL IN ENGINE card to the steering wheel. If the wheels were removed, they would not be reinstalled unless they were torqued and inspected by an instructor. Despite all of this, we had two or three close calls over the 23 years that I was there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Cobb on Thursday, October 19, 2017 - 10:29 am:

Last weekend I drained the oil out of my modern car, changed the filter, got distracted....
came back and started adding the fresh oil. Then I noticed the drain plug on the floor. I sure made a mess!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Thursday, October 19, 2017 - 10:33 am:

Like Steve, I've been absent-minded all my life. Close to Will's panic, I changed the oil, let it drain all morning, forgot to put the plug back in before pouring in the new oil that afternoon. I guess a "flush" with new oil didn't hurt.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Thursday, October 19, 2017 - 10:44 am:

When I was much younger, like about 50 years ago, I drained out the oil from my neighbor's car and then poured in 5 quarts of clean new oil. Unfortunately I had forgotten to replace the drain plug. Fortunately, the oil drain pan was still under, so did not make a mess, but wasted 5 quarts of oil! And also lost the confidence of my neighbor!
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By FreighTer Jim on Thursday, October 19, 2017 - 10:45 am:

Hey Will,

Did you make your road trip?

FJ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - West Melbourne Florida on Thursday, October 19, 2017 - 11:25 am:

Next month Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis R on Thursday, October 19, 2017 - 11:36 am:

Go to YouTube and watch Golf Brooks perform "Senior Moments". Pretty much describes where I'm at...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Thursday, October 19, 2017 - 11:38 am:

Dean K, which calendar are you using? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Kiefer - Adams, MN on Thursday, October 19, 2017 - 11:45 am:

Gary, I hope I can use the next twenty-five.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Thursday, October 19, 2017 - 12:05 pm:

I wont worry about any of you unless you post the same thing in the morning!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Thursday, October 19, 2017 - 01:50 pm:

I sometimes have "Here After" moments.

I will walk into a room for for something, forget why and ask: "What am I here after?"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, October 19, 2017 - 01:52 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, October 19, 2017 - 02:21 pm:

Like Steve J, I have been absent minded all my life!

Like Robert Hester, I hang a rag through the steering wheel.

Dallas Landers! Should I worry about you???

By the way, for whatever it is worth, Robert Hester, I went to Hester school for Kindergarten and first grade. The school had been built right after the 1906 Earthquake wrecked the original buildings. However, in the '70s those buildings were deemed unsafe and replaced by ugly modern ones.

Did I wander off again?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Thursday, October 19, 2017 - 02:42 pm:

Bill Harper - to add to what you said about those "here after" moments:

Somebody said that as you get older, it gets worse! Well,.....I can attest to that. Like others have said, I've had those "here after" moments all my life, but now (at age 76) not only do I still have those "here after" moments, but now, quite often, after I remember what I'm "here after", but then I also have to think something like,.....well, okay,.....now I remember what I was "here after", but now I can't remember why I was "here after" THAT in the first place!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clyde Gibson on Thursday, October 19, 2017 - 02:52 pm:

Many years ago my brother-in-law and myself were changing oil on our new Kenworth . I thought he had put the drain plug in none the less 12 gallon later I noticed oil running down the drive. Lost all 12 gallon. So now I am more careful.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alan Pfau on Thursday, October 19, 2017 - 03:05 pm:

Clyde, that reminds me of a time my dad and I changed a flat for an elderly lady relative. When we were done I thought he took the jack out and he thought I took the jack out. The next day on her way to church, she couldn't get the car to go forward or backward and called my dad in a panic thinking her transmission was broken. A little embarrassing to say the least.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert G. Hester Jr., Riverview, FL on Thursday, October 19, 2017 - 03:34 pm:

Wayne, that's interesting about the Hester school. Do you know if it was named after a person or location?

Not far from Altus, OK, where I was stationed in the 60s, there was an abandoned school with my name in the cornerstone but I think it was named after the community. Not sure.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Thursday, October 19, 2017 - 04:17 pm:

I once put automatic transmission fluid in the brake master cylinder on a P1800 Volvo when I was in college ...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Davis on Thursday, October 19, 2017 - 04:50 pm:

Martin, I did the same thing about fifty years ago at my uncles Car repair shop, with a 58 plymouth filled the car with fresh oil and started to smell fresh oil, Duh. Uncle Bill was a old model t guy from way back used to soup them up when he was a kid and put a heater in His T way before most folks had them. A cool guy, He said with a grin that's OK You will never make that mistake again and I haven't, but I like the rag on the steering wheel reminder. and yes it makes a real mess on a concrete floor.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Thursday, October 19, 2017 - 04:54 pm:

I have a 2x4 label attached to a piece of magnetized rubber. It reads Gas is off. When I put the car away, I stick the magnet on the dash. The next time I drive, I turn the gas back on and stick the magnet under the front seat.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, October 19, 2017 - 08:24 pm:

Not actually a forgetful moment, but my oil change/leak panic.
Many years ago, while still in high school, I was changing the oil in a car I shared with my parents. I had just finished putting the oil in and was changing the oil filter cartridge (remember those?) when my younger sister fell while roller skating on the sidewalk, and broke her arm. My mother came running out to where I was, needing the car RIGHT NOW! I quickly tightened the filter bolt, as they settled into the car, with only a few words about "the emergency room" as I slammed the hood and they drove off. Now, I had been changing oil for several years by that time. I always double checked for filter canister leaks, and never had one leek. They couldn't have been more than a block down the street when I looked down, and saw the trail of oil drips! I knew what it was, I had been taught to always check those pesky canisters for leaks as they had a tendency to do that, never had one leak, but the first time (regardless of the reason) I didn't check it? The (blanking) thing goes and leaks heavily.
No other car available. San Jose at that time had four hospitals with emergency rooms, in three totally different areas, any one of which she could have decided to go to. I jumped on my bicycle, and followed the oil drips for about two good miles until I was fairly sure which ER they had gone to, took a bicycle short cut, rode the other few miles and found the car in the parking lot! I lifted the hood, checked the oil (very low), pulled the coil wire so the engine couldn't be started, and headed into the hospital to find mom and sister.
They were still waiting for final results (remember when one could be seen in less than two hours?), and I explained the situation. Got back on my bicycle and rode over to an auto supply (about a mile away), bought two quarts of oil, rode back to the car, poured in the oil, and used the crescent wrench I had brought to reset the canister top. Checked it for leaks (this time it sealed fine), by which time, mom and sister were ready to head home with a temporary cast.
And, yes, I remembered to reconnect the coil wire.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Thursday, October 19, 2017 - 09:14 pm:

My 48 does not have a beeper (boy am I spoiled) to remind me to turn off the head lights so I made a sticker to put on the dash, I still forget! :-)(If you wonder, I got use to driving with my lights on day or night)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cameron Whitaker, Oklahoma City on Thursday, October 19, 2017 - 09:52 pm:

Not really a senior moment, but definitely a noteworthy one.

At the Pioneer Flight Museum where I volunteer, I am the lead mechanic for all the Model Ts. Al is technically in charge of all the vehicles, but doesn't have mechanical bone in his body (and he'll be the first to admit it).

As the chief mechanic I was asked to get their freshly built Blue Racer running. The car was being pulled along and I kept stepping on the low pedal, trying it get it started. I kept locking the rear wheels, and the engine struggled to turn over.

Well, Al came along and suggested that I use high gear instead of low. I thought for a moment and facepalmed. Of course you should use high gear!

In trying to use low gear, I spun the rear tires on the rims and destroyed two brand-new tubes.

Oooops!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, October 19, 2017 - 09:58 pm:

A feature of advanced maturity is that everything reminds you of something else, usually from long ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCJJ2ejDfek

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vern (Vieux Carre) on Thursday, October 19, 2017 - 10:01 pm:

This happened yesterday (Wednesday), we do car talk together:

John, "Hi Vern"
Vern, "Hi John. That's for yesterday."
John, "Huh?"
Vern, "You said 'Hi' to me yesterday morning and I forgot your name and now I just remembered it."
John, "I was off. I didn't work yesterday but I worked Monday."
Vern, "OK, Hi for two days ago."

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration