Upholstery Nails?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Upholstery Nails?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Douglas Dachenbach on Thursday, October 19, 2017 - 08:48 am:

I'm working on re-upholstering my door panels on my 1924 Coupe. Got new card backing for the panels and working on the material. What do you use for the nails around the edge. My car currently has the standard raised round head brown 7/16ths tack that are about a half inch long. I find they don't stay in the wood very well. I was talking with Mac and they said they don't really have upholstery nails. Any suggestions for a replacement nail and a source?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire (La Florida!) on Thursday, October 19, 2017 - 09:45 am:

Is the wood in the door soft? I don't see why they would not hold but I would probably look at the door wood if the tacks are in good shape.
https://www.vandykes.com/restorers-antique-brass-tack/p/226129/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Thursday, October 19, 2017 - 10:13 am:

Every Model T OPEN CAR ever made, as far as I know, used a 3/8" upholstery nail, and no one makes these! If I were rich, I'd have them made just like the originals. I can believe they would be a big seller too. As far as the post above, when I restore cars, I always stick a tooth pick in some glue, and pound it in the old nail hole, and cut it off flush, and sand it down. Just common sense right?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Thursday, October 19, 2017 - 11:52 am:

I use a air nailer with 1/2" nails. I then take a large curved needle and pull the material up over the nails. This hides them completely and makes for a nice job.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Friday, October 20, 2017 - 08:41 am:

Sorry that made no sense...To clarify, I staple the upholstery first then nail the tacks over the staples to hide them. This way the pressure is on the staples and not the round head tacks. It seems to work good and haven't had any problems with tacks working out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Friday, October 20, 2017 - 08:45 am:

This website has a good assortment.

http://www.crazycrow.com/silver-and-brass-nails-and-tacks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Friday, October 20, 2017 - 11:04 am:

Don's first posting makes sense for closed cars with cloth upholstery, but not open cars or cars with leather/leatherette upholstery.
Still doesn't solve the problem Larry stated; that no one makes the correct sized headed decorative upholstery nail anymore. You would think that ONE manufacturer would still have the tooling. . .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Friday, October 20, 2017 - 11:12 am:

David: A decorative upholstery nail? They are just the plain 3/8" upholstery nails which look similar to the common 7/16" ones you can still buy. I'll bet your '25 roadster still has some.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration