St Lawrence Marine - Model T Engine - Info wanted

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: St Lawrence Marine - Model T Engine - Info wanted
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Paulsen - McPherson, KS on Thursday, October 19, 2017 - 11:52 am:

We just picked up this Model T marine engine conversion produced by the St Lawrence River Motor and Machine Co. I've searched online, and, of course, this great forum, but I'm looking for more information if anyone has any. Thanks for looking!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Thursday, October 19, 2017 - 12:29 pm:

Here is when it started, from a February 17, 1914 newspaper.

Machine Co

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Goodheart, Edwards, NY on Thursday, October 19, 2017 - 01:46 pm:

Clayton, NY is only about 50 miles from me. I can't give you any information about St. Lawrence Marine, but the 1000 Island Boat museum located in Clayton might have some info. They have a very large collection of antique boats. Their website is www.abm.org. There is contact information on their website. They might want your engine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Thursday, October 19, 2017 - 07:02 pm:

Very cool engine. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Friday, October 20, 2017 - 10:23 am:

There is a museum in Clayton that has a lot of information and many old photos.

Thousand Island Museum
312 James Street (or Mail to PO Box 27)
Clayton, NY 13624

info@timuseum.org

Phone: (315) 686-5794

Fax: (315) 686-4867

Research

The ground floor of the Museum houses an extensive research library.

The library, under the guidance of Sharon Bourquin, includes documents, clippings, scrapbooks, photos, maps, books and printed local histories.

It is a valuable resource for students, professionals, historians, genealogy researchers and scholars.

Thanks to a recent donation we now have access to ancestry.com.

Stop in, checkout our research library and start work on your family tree.

Volunteers will be there to help you out with your research.

General Museum Inquiries: info@timuseum.org

Sharon Bourquin
Membership & Research Library
sharon@timuseum.org

Lois Huntley-Seybert
Clayton Historian
historian@townofclayton.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Friday, October 20, 2017 - 10:32 am:

Looking at that engine again, the flywheel housing appears to be from a later engine with an adapter plate.

The Model T engine was likely selected for that task, because it was cheap and plentiful.

The engine was likely constructed or modified in the 1930 to 1934 time frame.

Model T engines always turned clockwise, looking at the front.

Boat Propellers normally turned clock wise looking from the back.

The company solved that problem by connecting the front of the engine to a transmission that only had a Neutral, Forward and Reverse gear selection.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Friday, October 20, 2017 - 01:06 pm:

Cris, I found my photos that I took of the engine in the boat museum, back in June 2006.

Only about 25 percent of all the boats and artifacts can be displayed at any given time.

There were 3 boats with converted Model T engines, but only one or two with this engine.

The date is 1928 and the type is O, so the engine could have been new, used or surplus to someone's needs.

Engine1

Engine2

Engine3

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration