OT - Early Motorcycle (Rover) Manufacturing

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: OT - Early Motorcycle (Rover) Manufacturing
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Thursday, October 19, 2017 - 12:56 pm:

Neat silent movie film clip... (Would be nice to hear it running!)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6m8PmMQK76s&app=desktop

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Instness on Thursday, October 19, 2017 - 01:07 pm:

Great film.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Humphrey on Thursday, October 19, 2017 - 01:48 pm:

That was really great to watch. All the work being done. Thanks for sharing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Albert Lemon on Thursday, October 19, 2017 - 02:03 pm:

Hey Marv, it's good to see that your back, up an running on the Forum again after major surgery. Best wishes for a speedy, healthy and successful recovery. You'll be wrenching on that "TT" in no time !!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Thursday, October 19, 2017 - 02:05 pm:

Great film.
Now we know why English bikes leak oil, they don’t appear to use any gaskets on the machined surfaces.
The landing after the jump over the bridge must have been hard on the bike and rider, as the bike doesn’t appear to have any suspension.
Mind you, I wouldn’t mind adding one to my stable :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nigel Hugo on Thursday, October 19, 2017 - 03:08 pm:

The road test at the end shows the curved bridge in the village of Stoneleigh, just outside Coventry, and the ford (watersplash) is in Kenilworth, 5 miles west of Coventry. Stoneleigh bridge is the same today except for the road
surface and the ford is still about the same except there are pipes under the road so the water only flows over the road when there is heavy rain. No one can determine where the 'jump' bridge is, it may not even exist today. I live about 500 yards from the ford.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Thursday, October 19, 2017 - 03:20 pm:

Thanks, John!
It's 10 days later, and wouldn't say "I'm back" quite yet... 'One handed computer stuff is a challenge.
But, some progress here. They call it a 'total' or even 'complete' replacement. Incision is at least six inches long, from the outside center of the bicep, curving for about two inches onto the front of the shoulder. When I had my pre-surgical consult, I asked Doc how soon I could get back out to my shop and twist wrenches? "Six weeks." He did not ID any restrictions for after the therapy and when I get to lose the sling. "Six weeks...." I am maintaining the compression sleeve & glove to hopefully de-rail as much of my RSD as might be possible.
It does make me feel vulnerable when I need to ask my bride for help to pull up my pants, or to then need to ask for a bathroom "Clean-up on aisle #2 !!!" 'Time' will be a cure.
It's not difficult for me to empathize with what Aaron Rodgers is going through.
Take Care; Be Safe; "Don't Shoot!"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Thursday, October 19, 2017 - 06:30 pm:

That was great Marv! I love that stuff. No air tools? No torque wrench?? No gaskets? We have been waisting alot of time on our engines now days.
Thanks for sharing.
Drive safe and often

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Thursday, October 19, 2017 - 07:16 pm:

Fun to see in every regard. Thanks for the update on place and current state of things, Nigel. Is the date of the film known ? Seems like there's a LOT of smoke when they first fire up those bikes !!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Thursday, October 19, 2017 - 09:57 pm:

Fascinating thread and video!
Thanks for starting this Marv!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Bond on Thursday, October 19, 2017 - 11:12 pm:

Now for some detail - it's a 1912 free engine model using a clutch-rear hub. Very similar to my 1912 Triumph. Both motorcycles abandoned the clutch hub rear wheel in favor of the 3 speed Sturmey Archer gearbox by 1913. You can see the clutch hub in operation when they fire them up for the test run. Very nice video, thanks for posting.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Fischer - Arroyo Grande, CA on Friday, October 20, 2017 - 12:13 am:

Tony Bowker, Yeah, I noticed the lack of gaskets too. Just figured they hadn't been invented in England yet. My immediate thought on seeing the video was, "And thus was born the grand British tradition of leaking engines".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Friday, October 20, 2017 - 10:34 am:

Gosh no, Dick. They were leaking at least a decade before that film was made !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dane Hawley Near Melbourne Australia on Saturday, October 21, 2017 - 06:36 am:

Interesting to see something of the Rover heritage. I believe that in about 1923 the Rover company produced the greatest range of transport machinery of any U.K. manufacturer- Many different models of bicycles, several different motorcycles and three or four different models of cars. They soon shed the bicycle and motorcycle parts of the business, and in 1950, apart from the newly developed Land Rover, the only model of car available was the Rover 75, like mine-

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Saturday, October 21, 2017 - 11:22 am:

Dane,

I like that Series III 109" in the background too!

Here's my bit of Rover heritage, a RHD 1962 Series IIA, 2.25 Diesel as it appeared this morning after the freshly repaired and painted bulkhead was mated to the chassis.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Barker, Somerset, England on Sunday, October 22, 2017 - 04:36 am:

Not only no gaskets, but no attention to valve and magneto timing !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dane Hawley Near Melbourne Australia on Sunday, October 22, 2017 - 04:47 am:

Lovely work, Dale. Will be a credit to you when finished.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Rodell, Jr. on Sunday, October 22, 2017 - 06:28 am:

I like the 1930's G.E. refrigerator in the garage. Does it still work?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Sunday, October 22, 2017 - 08:28 am:

I would be willing to bet that old GE reefer works great.
My problem used to be finding ones that DIDN'T work so I could part them out for small cosmetic parts.
Same for Crosleys.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Sunday, October 22, 2017 - 09:27 am:

The fridge still works great- very quick to cool and surprisingly quiet- but it is currently being used to store welding rod and a few cans of paint.

It does get cleaned out and used correctly for any outdoor parties we have.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration