'26/'27 Steering Column Cushion ????

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: '26/'27 Steering Column Cushion ????
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n LakeOzark,Missourah on Thursday, October 19, 2017 - 05:49 pm:

Did the 26/27 use a cushion originally ?? Cushion for 22/25 are carried by vendors. Mine had two rubber pieces glued to support. I can always use trips of old inner tube to make.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Thursday, October 19, 2017 - 10:13 pm:

George

Older post on the subject. Yes, there is upper and lower cushions. You'll have to adapt something for the Improved open cars.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/506218/525358.html?1427251869

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Thursday, October 19, 2017 - 10:29 pm:

Here is view from a very original '27 touring and you can see the remains of the cushions. It's rather like a u-shaped piece of rubberized cloth, the lower piece is about gone.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick in Florida on Thursday, October 19, 2017 - 11:00 pm:

www.mcmaster.com/#standard-rubber-sheets/=19vz3nm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick in Florida on Thursday, October 19, 2017 - 11:06 pm:

Go to the McMaster-Carr link and click onto "Multi-purpose rubber" in the upper left hand corner, then click onto "multi-purpose neoprene sheets and strips" in the upper left hand corner. This is a nice, black, neoprene rubber cushion that with provide your steering column with the anti rattle properties you seek. I purchased the 1/8" x 6" x 6" size. I should have purchased a larger size because there are a multitude of uses for this material on the Model T. Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick in Florida on Thursday, October 19, 2017 - 11:10 pm:

I think 40A (medium soft) is the best durometer number to get for this purpose, as it will squeeze to a thinner thickness as the column clamp is tightened. Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n LakeOzark,Missourah on Friday, October 20, 2017 - 12:05 am:

Thanks guys. One on top ,one on bottom.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Friday, October 20, 2017 - 11:28 am:

I have a few NOS cushions. Some of them are 1/2" wide, and some are 1/4" wide. The 1/4" variety appears to be for the 24-5 cars, but the 1/2" may be for a '26-7. The length is around 2 5/8". They are molded like a tire, with cotton webbing in the center.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n LakeOzark,Missourah on Friday, October 20, 2017 - 01:27 pm:

Larry, thanks. Can you share a pic for us when you can ??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n LakeOzark,Missourah on Tuesday, October 24, 2017 - 05:30 pm:

Larry, sure would like to see what originals looked like . Where they glued into place or did they have a lip that would allow them to slide into place and hold ???

Wish the vendors carried them. (Hint,Hint )

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration