Can anybody ID the maker of this brass horn?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Can anybody ID the maker of this brass horn?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Thursday, October 19, 2017 - 10:04 pm:

Does anybody know the maker of this brass horn?

And - the needle in the haystack question: does anybody know what make automobile(s) this was used on?

I cannot find any markings on it such as Rubes or Nonpareil.

I believe it is for a larger car. Height is 13". Bell is 8.5" x 6.5".

It was originally painted black over the brass although someone painted more black over the original black. The bezel is nickel-plated over brass and it has a through-the-dash mounting bracket.

Thank you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Bond on Thursday, October 19, 2017 - 10:46 pm:

If you clean off some of the paint where the bell is attached you might find a makers name stamped lightly in the brass. Could be Rubes, Standard or Non-Pariell. There were others that are similar but were not marked, so in absence of a stamped name, it could be either of the above.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Bond on Thursday, October 19, 2017 - 10:49 pm:

Sorry, didn't really answer your question. Horns like this were used on lots of different cars. Horns were also a popular aftermarket item. Pinning this down to a particular make of car might be darned near impossible, especially if your question really is "what car manufacturer supplied this horn as original equipment."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Thursday, October 19, 2017 - 11:02 pm:

Just throwing it out there to see if anybody who owns a non-Ford that is equipped with this horn or is familiar with this horn.

Already understand that it might be difficult to pin-down per my original posting.

I prefer not to remove any paint at this point in time. Rubes and Nonpareil marks are sometimes stamped around the first bend behind the bell and should telegraph through the relatively thin paint.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Thursday, October 19, 2017 - 11:27 pm:

It is French in origin, probably Volier or Rival, 1908 or earlier.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration