Tragurtha makes me smile [a lot]

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Tragurtha makes me smile [a lot]
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By RICHARD GRZEGOROWICZ on Friday, October 20, 2017 - 12:18 am:

Rebulding a wheel, used parts from four to make one,I found the one on the car had Ford on inner hub framed in, and 18 stamped on inner flange,I needed the outer ring from another wheel, in taking a wheel apart I found that someone years ago had done some spoke work, in that they trimmed the peg from a spoke so they could cram it back into place.then they drilled a hole back through the rim into this spoke and made a peg and drove it into place,they left a square block on the end of this peg to take up the space between the rim and tire ring,to keep this repair in place, it worked for years,[clever old dude], as some of the spokes have weakened with age but not that one,another wheel, the spoke outer ring had nubs cast in,so the spokes had a ball nub, never see this type wheel before.I'm happy to have a least one Ford wheel on my Ford. yes every time I walk into my shop I look over at that little Ford setting there waiting for me to complete what's needed to make it driveable again, wish it could tell me in its own words of its past life, its still with us from 1921 so its had reasonable care,I'm doing my best to help it on its jurney. GREG.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gary hammond-Forest, Va on Friday, October 20, 2017 - 06:45 am:

Each one of these old cars has it's own mysteries. all of them having SAT, waiting,waiting,and waiting for EACH of us to be born, work our lives to aquire them, nurse them back to life. When we each check out they are there waiting for the next guy. And so on....Gary

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Mc Willie on Friday, October 20, 2017 - 10:21 am:

Gary-That is the perfect summary of being an old car, or an old car caretaker.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Friday, October 20, 2017 - 11:45 am:

Richard, the "ball nub" wheels are typically found on the metal felloe non-demountable wheels used late in production (25-27), it's just another variation, although a bit uncommon nowadays. I suspect uncommon because it doesn't take much shrinkage on them to have a wheel fall apart, so survivabilty is small compared to the other wheels.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration