How can I easely test a fresh rebuild carbureto??

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: How can I easely test a fresh rebuild carbureto??
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andre Valkenaers on Friday, October 20, 2017 - 01:12 pm:

The rebuild of one of the Holley 4550 is nearly finished and I am looking for an easy way to test it. ( not willing to build in one of my T's before I am about sure it will work)
Is there or can I build a test stand to test the carburetor?

Thanks
Andre
Belgium

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Friday, October 20, 2017 - 05:21 pm:

I know nothing about how to rebuild a carb except how to write the check. But I purchased one from a classified here on the forum that said it was "pressure" tested.
It didn't work and I sent it out to be rebuilt. So I don't think the "pressure" test meant anything.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert G. Hester Jr., Riverview, FL on Friday, October 20, 2017 - 06:55 pm:

I think Uncle Stan tries out his rebuilds on an engine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, October 20, 2017 - 07:12 pm:

Test on a running engine. That is about the only way to really test. The only other test you could do is to check float using a stand and gas in a can giving about the correct head pressure.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Fischer - Arroyo Grande, CA on Friday, October 20, 2017 - 07:14 pm:

About the only "quick & dirty" test that you can do is check to see if the float fully closes the fuel inlet valve. That's probably what the pressure test was on Robert B's carb. That's not a full operation test, but it does check one of the more common faults.

To pressure test the carb, support it in a level position, hook up a fuel line to the inlet port, and elevate the line to a height equal to the height of a full tank above the carb. Dribble gas into the line until the line is full, then watch the carb to see if fuel runs out somewhere. If the carburetor doesn't drip after about 15 minutes, then at least you know the float valve works.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration