Fuel tank gauge repair

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Fuel tank gauge repair
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john pawlowski on Friday, October 20, 2017 - 01:52 pm:

Hello, I have an "American Automatic Devices" fuel gauge that came with my 1925 roadster. It's in need of some repair/restoration. It has a raised number and lettered gauge face that lost all color distinction so you can't read it anymore. Does anyone know of someone that can restore this? I think it's a pretty unique addition.
Thanks in advance

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Friday, October 20, 2017 - 02:02 pm:

There were a handful of accessory gas gauge makers from the day with mostly the same design with a float on a spiral rail - some work better than others ! Do you have any way to post a photo ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john pawlowski on Friday, October 20, 2017 - 04:40 pm:

Hello Steve,
I have photos but don't know if I'll be able to load them. You are describing what I have exactly. I have a copy of the US Patent picture which I will try to post. Mine is missing fig. 4 in the patent picture which is the centering bracket for the spiral rod.

fuel gauge

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Friday, October 20, 2017 - 06:55 pm:

John,many early cars came from the factory with a gauge that operated this way.
They were usually mounted separately.
I would get with one of the speedometer guys.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john pawlowski on Friday, October 20, 2017 - 07:49 pm:

Hello Jim, this gauge screws into the top of the tank where the cap goes.I suppose a speedometer guy would have the ability to restore the gauge face and fabricate the missing bracket.
Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john pawlowski - NE Pennsylvania on Saturday, October 21, 2017 - 03:19 pm:

Still no luck.
Thought I'd bump
This is all new to me.
I've owned my 1925 roadster for 13 years and only now am getting it running. I know, but long story.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration