Hooray .. my '23 runabout is mechanically complete !

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Hooray .. my '23 runabout is mechanically complete !
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Friday, October 20, 2017 - 06:02 pm:

All this week I have been rebuilding the original generator for Nellie. This was my first experience working on a generator and it wasn't so hard. Luckily the coil windings were good. I turned down the commutator slightly, undercut the mica insulation, installed new bearings and bedded the brushes.

I did the test to find neutral and installed it into the car. Then I adjusted the third brush with the car running. I was conservative with setting it to charge at around 8 amps when driving at around 20 mph. I was amazed that everything worked well including the 90 year old ammeter.

At first I wondered what the hell that weird whirring noise that I was hearing at certain speeds. Have never owned a T with a starter and generator .... strange. The engine has a NOS iron timing gear ... so I guess it's the loudest possible combination.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, October 20, 2017 - 06:17 pm:

Congratulations! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, October 21, 2017 - 12:30 am:

Now you're ready for a FP VR. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Spencer Vibert - Granby ,CT on Saturday, October 21, 2017 - 12:33 am:

No what mark needs is a top on his car before he freezes on the next ride

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Saturday, October 21, 2017 - 05:46 am:

Well ... yes, I said mechanically complete. :-) Restoring the top is this winters project.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Saturday, October 21, 2017 - 09:38 am:

Mark, if your generator gear is making too much noise, perhaps you could add a thin gasket. That will move the generator away from the timing gear.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration