Quality of new wiring harnesses.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Quality of new wiring harnesses.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charles Weisgerber- Vancouver WA. on Friday, October 20, 2017 - 11:56 pm:

I have had two wiring harnesses on hold from Lang's for a couple of months. I was informed at that time the manufacturer was no longer making them and Don was looking for another suppler. The other day Lang's left a message on the answering machine informing me that they had them back in stock and if I still want them to please call back. During the return call I was informed that the new harnesses were of much better quality, they weren't kidding. The workmanship is really nice, with all ends both crimped and soldered. The woven covering is tight and finished off first rate. I'm sure the other vendors now have these in stock as well. Thought you guys would like to know.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, October 21, 2017 - 12:25 am:

How are the colors? I've seen some older reproductions where all or most of the colors didn't match what ford used.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Keppler, Fredon NJ on Saturday, October 21, 2017 - 08:16 am:

Charles which harnesses did you order...part numbers?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Saturday, October 21, 2017 - 09:30 am:

I need to know more about this! When I ordered harnesses from Langs several years ago I was disappointed to the point where I had to go to a local harness maker, and have my own made. What was wrong with Langs were numerous. The cutout wire was the wrong gauge, and the terminals didn't line up where they should be.
My guy charged double what I paid for Langs harnesses, but what I received was exactly what Ford originally issued, including the Ford tags which I supplied and he wove into the harnesses.
I sincerely hope that Don has the problem solved!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Codman on Saturday, October 21, 2017 - 09:43 am:

I bought a harness from Lang's about three years ago and it appeared to be of top quality and it fit perfectly. All wire gauges matched the original.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Saturday, October 21, 2017 - 10:09 am:

I've ordered Model T harness from Sacramento Vintage Ford and they are great, they make these in their own harness shop..USA made, quality and fast shipping too.

http://www.vintageford.com/sect_vehicles.cfm?Line=Wiring%20Shop

List of Model T harness and sets:

http://www.vintageford.com/sect_search.cfm?Line=Model%20T&Category=Wiring

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charles Weisgerber- Vancouver WA. on Saturday, October 21, 2017 - 04:23 pm:

Steve: All colors are correct except one. As per the wiring diagram on page 19 of the (Black Book) Model T Ford service book; one of the leads going to the head light is black and the other is black with a green tracer. The new harness has the black with green tracer and a black with a red tracer.I believe the wire with green tracer goes to the dim terminal on the block while the black with red tracer goes to the bright terminal. The black wire with red tracer may be correct I don't know. I just couldn't verify it.

Doug: Langs part# 5031 Commutator Wire Harness and part# 5041 Lighting Harness both are for the years 1919-1925. Please pay no attention to the illustration on Lang's web site, those are the old harnesses. The new ones out class those by a mile.

Larry: All wire gauges are correct including the cutout wire. You may want to talk to Don to get more details. I haven't installed the harnesses yet so I can't comment on fit or proper length. No tags sorry.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Skip Anderson, Bloomington, MN. on Saturday, October 21, 2017 - 05:16 pm:

I ordered the top of line harnesses for my '26 Coupe from Lang's in May and was told to expect a long shipping delay. Their supplier was being changed. In late August I had cancelled the order and went with Snyder's harnesses. Excellent choice, colors, quality, and instructions were great. Nothing against Lang's, I still order from both.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nevada Bob Middleton on Saturday, October 21, 2017 - 06:17 pm:

Sacramento V8ntage Ford doese a nice job on there harnesses always been happy and you can order bulk cloth covered wire from them.
Restoration supply another source for orginal type wire and connectors
Best place to get plug wires i have found is
RJ&L www.rjlautofasteners.com they got cloth covered battery cables

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Keppler, Fredon NJ on Sunday, October 29, 2017 - 08:17 am:

Charles your right, I ordered the full set of harnesses and they are top notch. Another nod to Langs for finding the best parts and keeping the prices reasonable.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Sunday, October 29, 2017 - 10:47 am:

Is anyone supplying the correct dash harness for the tourings and roadsters? The one I got was for the closed cars, which is quite a bit longer than it is supposed to be. From what I read above, perhaps this problem has been corrected.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Sunday, October 29, 2017 - 10:57 am:

I just checked the Sacramento Vintage Ford listing, and it doesn't appear the problem I mentioned above has been corrected. A sedan harness on a touring car or roadster, has be looped around on top of the steering column to work. We shouldn't have to deal with this kind of improper part! As I have mentioned many times, do your homework!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darryl Bobzin on Sunday, October 29, 2017 - 02:44 pm:

I just installed a harness from Mac's. Yes Mac's, I have never had a problem with them or any of the other suppliers. I installed this on my '25 Runabout. The colors are good, At least they match the wiring diagrams I have. My only complaint is that the under dash harness is a bit long, as are the leads coming out of the harness to the coils. Ford certainly wouldn't have made the wires any longer than required.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By RJ Walworth, New York on Sunday, October 29, 2017 - 03:35 pm:

The harness from Macís is also the same supplier that Lang uses

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Sunday, October 29, 2017 - 06:33 pm:

Darryl:
That is what I was trying to say in my post! The parts suppliers should try everything they make in a real Model T, just to make sure, but they don't. I'm glad to hear the harnesses that Langs sells now have the correct gauge generator wire. They didn't used to.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darryl Bobzin on Sunday, October 29, 2017 - 07:41 pm:

Larry, I'm not sure if the gauge wire is 100%correct in my harness, it looks to be. I don't have an original harness to go by. My car had an aftermarket harness installed when the car was "restored" in the 60s or 70s. It did match that harness for what its worth. The length of the wires was better on the old harness though. In defense of the suppliers, we may be asking too much sometimes. It would be great if everything was made to spec. for each year and body style, but may raise the prices higher than most are willing to pay.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charles Weisgerber- Vancouver WA. on Sunday, October 29, 2017 - 09:03 pm:

I've yet to purchase the new "under-dash" harness, but I will with my next order. I looked under the dash at my old replacement harness and it is a little long too, as it hangs down in front of the coil box a little. Personally I feel a little extra length might be a good thing here, as it allows the switch plate to be brought out further thus giving easier access to the back. Just a thought.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration